Alien plasma cannon 1 hit kill against predators and sentinels with shields

on veteran+ difficulty.

I appreciate difficulty but this is clearly not difficulty, this is just plain bad balance when a weapon possessed by most aliens (after a while) consistently 1-shots GROUPS of the most powerful armor, doing in excess of 100 damage (just had a sibellian explode 2 sentinels and 1 predator for 112 damage on veteran difficulty.

To be honest, I don't have an issue with one-hit kills. But as silencer says, explosive weapons are actually super-accurate since even if they miss there's a good chance they'll catch you in their blast radius for near-normal levels of damage.

In any case, might be wise to spread out your troops a bit!

I kind of just learned to deal with this by hanging snipers back and shooting them at a distance where possible. They are by far the biggest pain in cramped UFOs, where they can just pop out a door and the AI has no problem with using them at point blank range. It does make sense these things can threaten predator armor soldiers or tanks, because they are basically rocket launchers (designed for this purpose). It's just immensely annoying how accurate the aliens are with them and that you often can have no way of dealing with it beyond being psychic (the infamous pop out of nowhere and one shot a guy).

Yeah.

In cramped full of doors spaces you just cant do much, shields dont seem to help at all, you just have to send private "survive a whole 5 minutes". I had a guy with 2 assualt shileds, wolf armor, 70 hp, evaporate in one shot.

To be honest one of my few annoyance with Xenonauts mechanics is the damage spread.the +150 % possible dmg means many top level wepans can one shot your troops, regardless of anything they have (except shields, if they apply) . Imho its exsessive, 75%-125% would be enough. I know i can prolly change it myself in xmls.

I was doing some modding last night and noticed that they don't have a shot type for less than 50% TUs, which means if you suppress an alien carrying a Plasma Cannon they shouldn't be able to shoot you.

This again, relies on seeing them first and 90% of my deaths to them are when he pops out a door (or around a corner etc) and just nails someone. It's just one of those things I've learned to just say "Whatever" and move on. I expect 1-2 casualties a mission on larger UFOs to being blown up to them.

Hence why privates are always going first these days and why 2 of my dropship slots have the nickname "The revolving door"....

And Androns don't get suppressed. And on Andron Battleships 9 of aliens have this weapon, so it goes into fake difficulty territory. Also plasma cannons goes right through bushes on farm maps (it ignores them).

Same about Alien battle rifle - 80 damage and 30 armour mitigation. If damage is randomised as 150% it becomes 120 and sentinel absorbs only 35 points, so most of soldiers will die in one hit. Predators won't survive a burst, but possibly will survive a shot.

This again, relies on seeing them first and 90% of my deaths to them are when he pops out a door (or around a corner etc) and just nails someone. It's just one of those things I've learned to just say "Whatever" and move on. I expect 1-2 casualties a mission on larger UFOs to being blown up to them.

Hence why privates are always going first these days and why 2 of my dropship slots have the nickname "The revolving door"....

For sure, I wasn't implying it was some kind of master-strategy (for a start, it doesn't affect Androns!). Just wanted to highlight it as a possible way of helping in some situations.