Where do you put your bases?

Since I recently started checking out Xenonauts, I am still running my starting base solely (NORAD... placed in the general vicinity of Cheyenne Mountain).

I XCOM:EU, I usually started out with a base at Scapa Flow and then built the next two near NORAD and Vladivostok.

I try to balance... I dunno, I guess a Nerd RP thing coupled with trying to cover as much area as possible, starting with the most lucrative of the nations.

After I had 3 bases with tactical teams set up, I would start on the LP/OP bases to cover Southwest Asia (Usually based in Israel or Yemen, then South America (I set up an LP/OP near the Falklands, and sometime later a full on base in Brazil), LP/OP on Diego Garcia and then a full on base at Port Moresby.

Was wondering how you all did your bases...

I dont really give anything for the funding. I simply try to place it near the arabic pennensula so that it covers all of europe but as little as possible of the atlantic ocean. I forgot the exact location atm but you should be able to figure out where i place it with that description =P

I probably should try and figure out how to cover as much of the planet with as few bases as possible sometime instead of where the first base will cover the largest area. (not neccessarily the same thing)

I tend to put mine in Russia close to the European border; gives a good coverage of Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East. I've not played Xenonauts for a long enough game to place a second base yet, but in UFO:EU I'd generally put it in Mexico to cover US and some of Latin America (sorry Canadians).

i always started my first base in the middle of Sahara Desert, north africa.

reason is ---- desert don't have much vegetation (compared to USA deep forest), crashed landing aliens don't have much hiding and cover, and less maze for my rookies. i can easily use splash damage weapons like rockets, heavy cannon, grenades to toast the desert even if a sectoid is hiding behind a dune.

later on, my second base will be USA, and at that time, my squadies are ready for tougher tactical combat.

3rd base - India

4th base - Australia

5th base - Brazil

6th base - Japan

7th base - South Africa

8th base - Northen Europe/Russia

In X-COM I always put my base in northeastern USA. That's not feasible in Xenonauts, though, as the shorter aircraft ranges don't permit you to cover even the full extent of South America. So, I put mine in Europe now, where you actually have a good chance of protecting multiple funding nations.

I think that having the first base in the sort of Eastern Europe/Western Russia area or over near China makes the most sense for funding as you can cover the most sources of income simultaneously from those positions. Personally then I go to either of those spots I didn't start at with the third spot being the US. Past there wherever seems to have had the most randomly generated activity.

Well...we're in alpha testing and every time you press the "M" button you get $1 million, so who gives a hoot about funding? I've been saving games with a Month# and then a save #, like "M1 I", then "M1 II"...so every time I save the game I'm up a million bucks and funding's not an issue...of course with the save/load games = lose your research bug, all I've been doing is building bases, shooting down boggies and doing ground missions. (But I'm learning quite a bit on how to control aircraft most effectively...2 F-17s can usually shoot down a corvette size UFO if you're careful)

In XCOM I generally went with a US base because they funded the best. When I had cash for a new base I'd look at who's funding second best. That sometimes was Japan, sometimes Europe. After that I'd just try to cover as much landmass as possible.

So far in Xenonauts, I've always started with a south-central USSR base because it seems to be the place that covers the most landmass. After that I go for Central America to cover the southern US and northern S. America landmasses. Then I go for Africa, central USA, Europe, S. America (like Tierra del Fuego), Australia...and finally somewhere in the far east, either USSR, China or Japan. That pretty much covers the globe as far as land goes.

8 bases?!?!?

I always put my main base in Jerusalem.

Towards the end of the game I tended to build another one in the USA if they haven't abandoned me yet, but it was just for show.

I was getting so much money from selling heavy plasma guns and orbs that I didn't need any nations helping out really.

By then I was just waiting for research and psi-training for the final mission to rack up..

• 2 weeks later...

During the first game of Xenonauts I put the base in a place where is my home town (part of the Polish Baltic, near Gdansk), unfortunately, during the first battle with the aliens my screen freezed during hidden combat, I did not have any saves, so this base is gone. During this game I have a base near Nagasaki, unfortunately the game freezed (also hidden combat) again when the third UFO crashed, but i have still a save before third UFO. I need here quick save, i really dont remember about saveing...

I think placeing base, between china and russia, is very very suitable, because of profits from crashed UFO's

Edited by ResFu

In Xenonauts, I find the north eastern tip of Libya - across the bay east of Tripoli - is ideal. A base there manages to cover all of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, while also covering half of South Africa and a piece of the Soviet Union.

In this type of game i put it on my home city Riga. It is not the best place in the world, we don't even have a game retail store, mostly famous for having the biggest river(Daugava) in Latvija running through it. I just get giggles whenever i imagine the Earths final line of defence HQ is under the damn river, and whenever a UFO is spotted the stone bridge(that i cross every time i want to go to the movies) spreads apart and a X-MEN style blackbird jet rises out of the water to go do its thing.

Edited by GoodGuyEddy

• 2 weeks later...