Rifles useless IMHO. Use shotguns instead

My experience has been is that rifles are kind of useless. They are ok at medium and serviceable at long range and poor at short range.

I use snipers, heavies and shotgunners. Nothing kills an alien like a soldier that runs right up in the face of an alien and shotguns it in the face for 3 hits. And it only takes 18-22 time units. And you get the modifier where the alien doesn't get to reaction fire.

Try that with a rifle. They get to reaction fire. And the cost of the 3 round burst of the rifle is like 55 time units. What's the point?

Just my $0.02

I have the opposite issue. I generally dislike the shotguns, and so I go with all rifles with the shotgun in my backpack. Eventually I started using a mod that added carbines in, because there wasn't anything that bridged the assault rifle/shotgun gap.

rifles vastly improve in utility once you have higher accuracy, where as shotguns are basically pointless out side of the 2-3 tile range no matter how good of a shot your trooper is.
I think this is quite true. Rifles have good range and in the hands of a skilled marksman they become deadly. Most people probably put their good shooters on the sniper rifle and LMG, but there is something to be said for riflemen with skill.

I'm currently using two tems of five men. Each team has one heavy, one sniper, two rifeflman. The fifth man is different on each team. One has a shotgun, the other has a shield/pistol. Works well for me, although the shield guy has a habbit of catching grenades ... but that's a different topic.

I've mulled the concept of replacing my snipers with moderate/mediocre marksman rather than the elite 100 acc guys I have at the moment, and handing them rifles to see if my team effectiveness increases or not ...