Soldiers panicking...

Low bravery/morale, maybe?

Bravery is one of the mechanics that I'm not really convinced is working as intended. I've seen Commanders and Colonels that have six or more bravery enhancing medals panic when they take 3 hp of damage.

I guess that's part of the random element to damage, and until you have wolf armour or better the only time you will notice panic is when someone survives a single shot (since two is very close to a guaranteed kill).

If anyone can explain a bit better how exactly panic and morale and bravery interact, and how to potentially limit your exposure to them that'd really help.

It just feels somehow wrong to have your hard core team leader who has murdered hundreds of aliens, stormed dozens of UFOs and known among the alien high command as 'The Terror From The Deep South' (and once notably kicked an alien leader in the groin over and over until it fell unconscious after it refused to succumb to stun grenades) is still prone to dropping his shotgun and flailing arms in front of his subordinates lines of fire at the first sign of trouble.

Likely that. And yea, you'll still suffer morale penalties from being shot, even if its resisted, because your poor guy is still wigging out about the plasma bolt that came centimeters from melting him.

That should bolster him, seeing that his new Wolf Armour does stop plasma shots.

Still I find it silly, that they lose morale when being suppressed.

That should bolster him, seeing that his new Wolf Armour does stop plasma shots.

Still I find it silly, that they lose morale when being suppressed.

Do you think if you are taking so much fire that you have to duck and hide that your morale should be the same as if you are in a clearing with no aliens in sight? Having large amounts of alien fire heading your way is a good reason to feel a little down

Do you think if you are taking so much fire that you have to duck and hide that your morale should be the same as if you are in a clearing with no aliens in sight? Having large amounts of alien fire heading your way is a good reason to feel a little down

Certainly I wouldn't stand up and start screaming - OMG THEY ARE SHOOTING - I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS!

I feel the panicking mechanic is working nice and dynamic. I'd panic too when lizard men from outer space shoot me with bursts of blue plasma, no matter how close they land.

And what difference make lizards from space than other human opponents who use weapons to shoot..

Certainly I wouldn't stand up and start screaming - OMG THEY ARE SHOOTING - I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS!

How would you know? Human mind works in curious ways in crisis situations, and each person acts in unique manner too.

And what difference make lizards from space than other human opponents who use weapons to shoot..

They are odd and scary? And smell bad?

How would you know? Human mind works in curious ways in crisis situations, and each person acts in unique manner too.

They are odd and scary? And smell bad?

Not to speak of elite soldiers, but part of the point of boot camp is to put you in crisis situations to "inoculate" you to high stress. It's how we're built--after successfully making it through a stressful situation, you become better equipped to handle similar situations. Realistically someone who has seen a lot of combat and been hit before is not going to panic at getting hit again. You already know you can get shot and live.

Of course, the real question is whether or not it makes sense in the game. Personally I think high-ranking soldiers are too prone to panic. It's pretty weird when a colonel with 60+ bravery and 20 missions take a hit for 1/3 of their HP and drops their weapon and runs.

I'll add my voice to the support of the current panic system.

From my experience it works extremely well, Ive never had once say "Oh this guy is just a wuss" when it was a soldier with high bravery.

Yet, some veterans will also panic in some situations. Ive yet to seen an unrealistic one in Xenonauts...

I think most of the "hate" come from being a poor loser, and blaming the bad decision making that got that soldier into that situation on the "evil unrealistic game mechanics".

In fact I would add even more "panicable" scenarios.

I once had a sniper, with a 98% chance to hit his target and a 5% to hit a friendly (who would die if he would miss, probably) headshot his teammate...

He remained cool and did land the kill... on a 38% saving his own life at least.

I would have poop my pants!

There does seem to be something weird with panic. For example, I kill all the Aliens in the immediate area, no one is hurt- suddenly one of my people panic. Should that really happen, even with low bravery? That seems wrong.

I suppose a real coward might panic even when the going seems positive. It could be the prospect that `So far i`m still alive- Runaway before my luck runsd out and I DO get shot!`meh. humans have done stranger in real life.

Edited by Seafireliv