(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

TD, i suited my first soldier with coyote armor. in the soldier base menu. but the picture of the soldier (besides the head) dissapeared. maybe some wrong filenames?

Just go into soldiernamesfemales then into basic armor and copy all pictures from there to improved.jackal armoro folder, unless u already did this

Just go into soldiernamesfemales then into basic armor and copy all pictures from there to improved.jackal armoro folder, unless u already did this

thanks for it, but you aren't right in little... right path

assets/soldierimages/armour.impjackal

there no armour.png there

there were no picture to males in core pack. must be copied there.

Hello again, some more things for consideration:

1. Error in Researches.xml:

under Researches.ValkyrieDropship, 'Researches.AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb' is incorrectly 'Researches.CrusierDatacoreDbs', preventing the Valkyrie dropship from being unlocked.

** Edit: Researches.AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb, a couple of times spelling differs between 'Crusier' <--> 'Cruiser'.

Very strange what such breaking bug exist in core mod. Someone know how to repair Crusier-Cruiser misspeling ? Rename all Crusier to Cruiser ? But what if something important elsewhere named as Crusier ... :(

p.s. misspelling exist in core and path hf2 even for weeks - why no one complain ?

pps If replace Crusier->Crusier - saved games will break and dont work because as i fear there are item named as crusier but if you already research it cause game crash.... start game again ?!

Replacing Crusier->Cruiser in Researches.xml and saved file also dont work :(

problem in researches.xml with two names: AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb and CrusierDatacoreDbs

Solution:

In Research.xml replace all: CrusierDatacoreDbs->AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb (one time)

AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb->AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb (two times)

Summary: 3 replacement must occurs. Also there are some other Crusier names present but they seems not missplelled - so dont touch them.

Load save game( preferably non battle ) and save it again in new file(for sure) - then saved game also receive correct spelling from research.xml

Edited by Dimitry

The problem is the Dbs and Dsb. All entries need to be written as Dsb.

This is already fix in Hotfix 2.

Can you verify? For medifire looks that the entrie is ok.

Thanks

Let's check latest patch for errors:

DOWNLOAD LINK

HOTFIX 2 V5.31 DOWNLOAD

1. Download right now.

2. Open archieve, extract Research.xml and looking inside.

3. Found "CrusierDatacoreDbs" and two times "AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb"

Summary: error exist in latest patch - so who using right now need correct their research file.

p.s. AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb - is also wrong one because in file also present AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb.

Edited by Dimitry

hi hope you can help

'm going my game running again brought to the 5:31 and old savegame also wieder.habe a laser-weapon-carrier ship as a ground mission with reaper on board that I can not kill 4 passes shot rocket launcher nothing I have only 40 damage help what is wrong installed please

Hello there,

I'm playing xenonauts for only a few days now, and after some missions in Vanilla, i've decided to play with this mod and a few others (oppressive ui, map packs...).

I play on Normal, and i find the difficulty quite insane. I had to abord the first mission, and the second, and the third... I managed to finish one mission without losing soldiers , and it was very long, maybe 2 hours, because i tried several times with save/reload.

The BIG probelm comes from the new alien Gargols (i need at least 4 soldiers shooting like crazy at them, or they regen and kill one every round), and eggs (they one shot any solider coming too close). If i remember, on my first mission, so with bad equipment and crew, i've been fighting 5 armored lezards + 4 Gargols + 4 eggs + 2 UFO lezards.

Also, i can't use Aimed Shot with any weapon even sniper ? And i miss a lot, even when the target is 10 meters away, no cover, my heavy is missing way too much. With vanilla it was much, much better.

It is normal, the mod is supposed to be mega-hard and new players are dead-born, or i did something wrong ?

I tried want to enjoy, but i was struggling too much. I kept playing only to understand what was wrong with me, but now i start to think it's about the game.

It is normal, the mod is supposed to be mega-hard

Well not "mega-hard" but it is meant to provide much more challenge than vanilla.And sorry to tell you but it's not game,it's way you play.

I think there is going to be "How to.." series pretty soon so you should wait for them or try browsing trough older threads,comments (there is plenty advices and everything you said above was already answered)

Hello there,

I'm playing xenonauts for only a few days now, and after some missions in Vanilla, i've decided to play with this mod and a few others (oppressive ui, map packs...).

I play on Normal, and i find the difficulty quite insane. I had to abord the first mission, and the second, and the third... I managed to finish one mission without losing soldiers , and it was very long, maybe 2 hours, because i tried several times with save/reload.

The BIG probelm comes from the new alien Gargols (i need at least 4 soldiers shooting like crazy at them, or they regen and kill one every round), and eggs (they one shot any solider coming too close). If i remember, on my first mission, so with bad equipment and crew, i've been fighting 5 armored lezards + 4 Gargols + 4 eggs + 2 UFO lezards.

Also, i can't use Aimed Shot with any weapon even sniper ? And i miss a lot, even when the target is 10 meters away, no cover, my heavy is missing way too much. With vanilla it was much, much better.

It is normal, the mod is supposed to be mega-hard and new players are dead-born, or i did something wrong ?

I tried want to enjoy, but i was struggling too much. I kept playing only to understand what was wrong with me, but now i start to think it's about the game.

HI buddy! yes you are right, this mod is mostly a big challenge ,totally different from vainilla so you should try to forguet all the tactics you used ther and try to make new ones, first at all you have to understand that this was designed to emulate the struggles of a overwhelming invading force so there is not more something like :send silly rookies,boom headshot,win every mission.

You need to decide wich combats you want to do (i mean if you feel that everything is fuc!@$d up..just run to the helo and retreat)airstrike when you feel unprepared, with the eggs im gonna give you a big BIG tip, use grenades, here the grenades are a loooooot more usefull than in vainilla

version, also try to have a good mixture of soldiers,use flamethrowers aggaints gargols, also try to snipe down and keep your distance from the sebillians(that lizards armored guys), just keep trying, try to think tactically, keep soldiers close one from others, and also NEVER GIVE UP, this was designed for players who were veterans from the original XCOM(the 1994 one),those who feel the vainilla wasnt enought for them and also for any new player who want to try new things with this amazing game.

Remember to think, stay focus, dont rush and of course get a lot of guts for the incoming invasion ;).

I wish you luck and i hope you can enjoy the mod..give it anotther try and then tell me your experience :).

Hello there,

I'm playing on hard and feel difference in weapon usage in last mod patch. So beginning play soldiers loadout to be good is like this:

2 soldier - ak-47 + granades+medpack+smoke grenade(in hard situation)

2 soldier - machinegun + granades+medpack+smoke grenade(in hard situation)

2 soldier - sniper rifle + granades+medpack+smoke grenade(in hard situation)

2 soldier - rocket launcher + granades+medpack+smoke grenade(in hard situation)

Try stick with balanced soldiers but high in accuracy.

Some missions with hard enemies - end as all alien killed by grenades and rocket fire ... or retreat or rush to ufo and sit in here some turns - but main point what your squad are alive.

p.s. remember correct research.xml file because it still contain errors. Read my message some page ago.

Edited by Dimitry

You just have to use cautious tactics to win first encounters, afterwards games becomes much easier.

Equip flamers, shields, as much grenades as possible. Blow up walls and cover, keep your men together, concentrate fire, skip turns waiting for reaction fire, advance slowly and only trough defensible positions, DON'T move your snipers\machine-guns before shooting, they loose too much accuracy if moved this turn. Oh, and get a hunter tank fast to draw enemy fire.

Thanks for your answers,

I had this band : 1 flamer, 1 sniper, 2 machine guns, 2 shields, 2 assault guns. All with 2 grenades, 1 smoke, 1 flash, and 1 medkit, 1 recharge.

I will try more !

- Some weapons don't have description, like the flamer and AK47. Did i misinstalled something ?

- What about the Aimed Shot ? Even if i don't move at all, i don't have the option to use use (it's grey).

Minor bug detected:

Some strange item found after clear ufo - in end mission debriefing:

- Items.SolverCorpse - send to research devision

Strangely inside ufo i really found some human body ...

Maybe some plot but seems text description for item.solvercorpse is missing. Dont know how to repair and what is going on :)

Thanks for your answers,

I had this band : 1 flamer, 1 sniper, 2 machine guns, 2 shields, 2 assault guns. All with 2 grenades, 1 smoke, 1 flash, and 1 medkit, 1 recharge.

I will try more !

- Some weapons don't have description, like the flamer and AK47. Did i misinstalled something ?

- What about the Aimed Shot ? Even if i don't move at all, i don't have the option to use use (it's grey).

Flamer is good for even touchest enemy but close range. Flash grenade as all mentioned is not work at all (not tested by myself). Missing descriptions ... its bad thing but only we can wait when mod maker fix it. We can only try test it on our own. Well ak-47 is good weapon. Aimed shoot is disabled for some weapon to make battle even more hard. And machine gun and sniper need to not move to make shoot at full accuracy - if move accuracy seems lost - very uncool in ufo but it realistic.

Thanks for your answers,

I will try more !

The missing toolptips are here to stay till weapon balance is finalized by the mod devs.

The reason is that they are simple texts, so they would have to be changed by hand every time a weapon changes in any way.

Another tip: Don't stop too close to corners , a gargole or viper running around a building corner and your people standing right behind it can loose you half your squad in a single turn.

And avoid night battles. Already a good idea in vanilla, but even more important here. Vipers coming out of the dark, leaving you no chance of reaction shots..well you get the picture.

But most of all keep going.Once you got research going and your troops get a bit of experience things start to get better. Of course some enemies still inspire to urge and need to retreat, but veteran soldiers get way better at hitting and reaction fire making gargoles and basic vipers easier to handle.

Btw just out of curiosity. What is the difference between ak47 and m16? (in game ofc)

You can view the stats by opening the weapons_gc.xml file with notepad. The file is in the "assets" folder in the game directory.

I just checked them out myself and the AK47 is mostly worse than the M16; 1 less damage, less accuracy, more TU cost, more recoil. Only 2 points of better armor penetration is the only good part of it, but that 2 points is basically almost nothing. Its also slightly more suppresive with burst fire, but only by 15 points.

EDIT: Btw, I love the new C4 in this mod. :D

Its basically like a small tactical nuke with its massive blast radius. Can't use it to bust UFO doors that much anymore (without blowing up everything valuable inside), but I can use rockets or grenades for that instead, so no biggie.

Edited by Reactorcore

I'm not sure to understand what to do with the research bug. I've downloaded the hotfix, but i still have to do that ?

In Research.xml replace all: CrusierDatacoreDbs->AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb (one time)

AlienCrusierDatacoreDsb->AlienCruiserDatacoreDsb (two times)

Summary: 3 replacement must occurs. Also there are some other Crusier names present but they seems not missplelled - so dont touch them.

Load save game( preferably non battle ) and save it again in new file(for sure) - then saved game also receive correct spelling from research.xml

(edit : nevermind, i did)

Edited by Tchey

Btw just out of curiosity. What is the difference between ak47 and m16? (in game ofc)

This is difference:

AK-47:

-Has 3 aim mods

-Higher Recoil

-Does lower damage

-Burst fire with only 2 bullets per round and smaller suppression radius.It also has slightly smaller suppression.

M-16

-Two aim mods

-Lower Recoil

-Slightly higher damage

-Burst mode with 3 bullets per round,slightly bigger suppression radius and slightly bigger suppression.

I was laughing like hell reading this. This is joke Radek yes?

Maybe it sounded like a joke but in fact it wasnt. Anyway Reactorcore and Sentelin already answered my question. Thank you.

Sentelin, higher recoil means lower burst acc?

Edited by radek

@Dimitry

Minor bug detected:

Some strange item found after clear ufo - in end mission debriefing:

- Items.SolverCorpse - send to research devision

Strangely inside ufo i really found some human body ...

Maybe some plot but seems text description for item.solvercorpse is missing. Dont know how to repair and what is going on :)

This is not bug it's "Special Encounter :D

I will check why Xenopedia entry didn't trigger ....it should have.Only regret I have now is that he died in crash and you didn't get chance to fight with him.

I checked and everything is in order.You will get Xenopedia entry eventually if you haven't already.On bright side that's not end of "Special Encounters" (There is more)

@Radek

Higher recoil means that after you move from one position to another you get your accuracy lowered

for couple %,how much it depends on recoil value (but soldier with high strength can ignore that perk and regarding accuracy don't suffer too much. )

Edited by Sentelin