(Mod Update) XNT Into Darkness V5.3 - "The Firebat" (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Yeah - the problem of the vanilla reference I think is one of the main issues. My first round with the mod (on normal), I never had any soldiers above Sergeant (and only a few at that) because of all my senior operators kept getting killed. It was a wake-up call that the mod demands a very different approach than vanilla. At one point, there were 3-4 alien bases after 3 failed assaults wiped out all my best operators. I only had PVTs remaining and limited my activities to interdicting small UFOs to rebuild my teams. It was frustrating at first but after accepting that this mod is far more demanding and challenging, it became very enjoyable.

question - maybe there is some point,but i feel that progression of soldier experience was downed for a little. i got for no no one +1 acc gained even if killed 1-2 aliens, or reflexes of tu. Its a planned downspeed or not?

Acc and ref was intentionaly changed a bit- i hope i will not make faux pas saying that instead of defs, but its hard to say casue it seems they have bad days right now

What I can say is that I was playing vanila for a week and never finished that. The moment I saw this mod I wanted to play it.

Reason me and some people report smal things is simple: procedure for bug reporting implemented in vanila moved here so me and other people report every bug they see straigt away even if its vanila( Its imposible to know all vanila bugs- at least for me).

If you dont want that just say and no one will bother.

Feedback will be when i play risonable amount of game time, I gave my feedback on 5.2 after some time and i think(maby wrong) that it was small stone to make this mod more balanced in some way.

From now one i change my atitiude to defs cause had many disagrement with them, if it helps I can stop writing anything, casue i know I can be pain in the a..

Hope when TD feels better he will change mind. Wish him and team all the best even if its end. GL

Ok so decided to restart the first few rounds are unfair in every way gargoyles have so much freaking health the first ship I shot down I saw one right out side the door. I snipered it shot it fired rockets at it the house it was in collapsed the whole damn thing was gone yet it was still alive and to my dismay there where two others right out side our vision and they killed half the team the other half couldn't do much in one turn

WELL if you think that XNT was hard...i have to say that in the main thread of the mod it says:

"do you want a new challenge?"

and also in the changelog it specifies the game its more harder. I dont want to sound rude, but with all those clues, i truly dont know what people should expect

I play in veteran without "any problems"...i mean of course i got a lot of casualties but there are rather my fault (omg i just knew it...i should send that rookie into that building) than feeling the game is cheating, i understand you maybe would get shocked the first time because you are just coming from a vanilla game where things was like.

"lalalala oh look a nasty giant lizard!,dont worry, im gonna kill it with my ever usefull m16 rifle without problems :3!". The only reason you dont kill anything in vainilla is because your soldier miss....AND HERE TOO ,for the vipers just throw a couple of grenades,them put down that dog with rifle shoots, it works for me, idk why not for others . the only times i cant kill something is because my soldiers are blind and send the bullets aiming to the moon or something :/.

Game keeps freezing or crashing in GC on this save. This is a clean install of game and mod.

[ATTACH]5108[/ATTACH]

When I spin to look at a viper to kill them it crashes, when I kill a viper it freezes.

I check the saved game and work without problem.

Can you tell me which versions of the game are you using?

Thanks

[...] especially since most of the reactions are of course criticisms but that's logicial I guess... I mean most people that enjoy a game just enjoy it and keep it to themselves ... when you are annoyed with something then you are much more eager to go online to complain so it might seem that nobody likes it. But I think there are plenty of people that really enjoy the mod and are very grateful for you work. Me included so it would be really sad to see it end.

Indeed. I am gratefull too. it IS a great mod. Sure it got a bug here and there, but nothing major in my experience so far. And that is is only natural in a big project like this. And people complain more easily then praise.

About the difficulty: I play on normal and I do save.. but I reload a LOT more often than in vanilla ( to try different moves, not to wait for the RNG to favor me mind you ). And that is fine. By now I am in a tight spot air-combat wise, and delta vipers still are one hell of fight.. but that makes it better, not worse!

And not once did I need to retreat. I even managed a terror site with nothing but vipers ( by sacrificing most civilians though :( ), and a corvette with an Omega Viper.

That one was quite fun to beat: I couldn't kill it without loosing half the squad, so I used one soldier, who could run fast, to lure it away from the UFO and stormed that with the rest of the squad, winning due to "hold ufo 5 turns".

Saying : I really do enjoy the challenge, especially from the better AI. Which includes civilians if I am not mistaken: I've seen them retreating behind my lines a and going for the dropship in a sensible manner quite a few times now, instead of their vanilla behavior of running in circles waiting to get shot.

Something I couldn't comment on initially since I wasn't there yet in the game: I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that ballistics don't just go obsolete with the advent of lasers. It forces you to make mixed squads and really has an impact on my tactics.

Would love to have a way of seeing me what kind of enemy to expect on a mission so I could load up accordingly, but on the other hand going in blind does increase the challenge.

And I get your frustration: Some of he questions over the last pages were just dumb or lazy. About 5 pages back is a 2 page long discussion about the M16/AK47 stats and a long explanation why there are no tooltips yet for the new weapons, but nevertheless it got asked again how many times since then?

The corvette datacore disassembly thing is explained mostly in the Xenopedia. Which is btw well written and keeping true to the style of the game with the rather full of himself head of research :)

Indeed. I am gratefull too. it IS a great mod. Sure it got a bug here and there, but nothing major in my experience so far. And that is is only natural in a big project like this. And people complain more easily then praise.

(.......)

And I get your frustration: Some of he questions over the last pages were just dumb or lazy. About 5 pages back is a 2 page long discussion about the M16/AK47 stats and a long explanation why there are no tooltips yet for the new weapons, but nevertheless it got asked again how many times since then?

The corvette datacore disassembly thing is explained mostly in the Xenopedia. Which is btw well written and keeping true to the style of the game with the rather full of himself head of research :)

Thank you so much ; _____ ;... now talking serious(kind off xD),yes it was designed to give you a better challenge. Im glad that you are enjoying the mod :)b.

EDIT: TD i also tried the savegame that greendiamond posted without problems or CTDs. Killed the vipers without problems or crashes.

so maybe this is related with the way he installed the mod, did you tried re-applyng the core and the last fix? try it and if this doesnt work post it again please :).

Edited by blackwolf

As you want Feedback, heres my opinion (and that ist negative Feedback lies within the nature of Feedback, so: ist a great mod, i wont Play anything else):

- the C4 blast radius is way too big

- the flashbang is useless

- facehugger range is way too big (compare it to Alien Movies!)

- i dislike the bigger Aliens completely as ist not an "Alien The Movie" Game

- too much Alien cannons

- Gargols not receiving reaction fire

(edit) - i am totally annoyed by Aliens Shooting through floors and at angles which my soldiers are prohibitted (100% block)

What i like:

- the challenge

- the weapon Research Progression making me feel that in the beginning im totally shredded while new Research gives me a Chance

- the incredible hard air fights

- the fact that ground verhicles now make a difference

Edited by Ozi

Just to be clear.Stop comparing Alien movies with our mod,we didn't include those aliens because we were inspired by Alien movies.

- i dislike the bigger Aliens completely as ist not an "Alien The Movie" Game

It isn't so stop looking at it that way.Also those aliens fit perfectly into a game.If you have problem with it there isn't much we can do about it.And something that looks less "humanoid" is welcome.

too much Alien cannons

Is this about support weapons ?Nah I won't let my self be dragged into this discussion again ...

- Gargols not receiving reaction fire

That's probably because of high reaction modifier so we can reduce it slightly I suppose.

Unfortunately, the game crashes when I try to enter a ground mission. Problem with using a Mac, I suppose

Try applying CE 0.25 on clean vanilla and then run a game.If game crash than it's definitely problem with X:CE and incompatibility for Mac users.If not there could be only two reasons:

1.You are trying to load old save after applying this mod.

2.Something went wrong during installation process.

Edited by Sentelin

Stop comparing Alien movies with our mod,we didn't include those aliens because we were inspired by Alien movies.

Fachuggers, Aliens, Queen-Aliens... thats not inspired by the Movie? Didnt I read something in the Xenopedia about an Alien inspiring a movie :)?

You wanted feedbackm, here it is, so please stop complaining about the way you receive Feedback. Theres no Need to justify yourself for your work, ist fine as you do it. But as a lot of People are playing this you will get a lot of different (positive and negative) Feedback. The fact that i dislike the "Alien-Movie" integation for a big part doesnt mean everyone else sees it the same way...

So it sound like complaint (I don't think so,it sound to me more like defending ..)? Those aliens are made by someone else not us (we were going to redo textures,animations ..... however I don't know if that's case any longer ).Xenopedia entry about Vipers is semi-inspired by Aliens Movies and we already were notified about it but you already said yourself, not everyone is feeling that way.Also I don't take your feedback for negative but it contains to much "i personally don't like that and that" which isn't really helpful.

Mod is inspired by this book "Way of Wolf" E. E. Knight by the way.

Edited by Sentelin

You just don't understand do you ?

Let's talk about C4 for example.You said it has more area effect than it should. Can you back up this with valid arguments or it just happens that you think it should.?Describe in more detail why do you feel like it.How do you use it, in what situations area of effect proved to be ...

Do you get it now ? I am not going to seriously take into count complaint about aesthetics (we can't please everyone,that's impossible.And beside we are in dire need of an Artist so we can't really do much about it at the moment ). I am more concern about mechanics.You don't like look of some aliens,that happens but that's more about personal taste,how about you ignore their appearance for a second and comment on their behavior and that kind of stuff ?

Edited by Sentelin

Ozi your expousing personal opinions that dosent help us.

You think that we put range, damage and area of effect of the weapons at random? One particularity of this mod is that Im speciallist in statistics, all the mod is constantly iterated and measure for balance under complex statistical models.

We DONT PUT ANY VALUE arbitrary.

About aliens and animations things become worst, did you know how many work we put to REBUILD this animations?

Why dont you try to go and build an animation by yourself?

The only think that read in your "feedback" is childish complains of a player that dosent have the capacity to deal with difficult game.

I recommend you go back to vanilla or try other game.

TD

Fachuggers, Aliens, Queen-Aliens... thats not inspired by the Movie? Didnt I read something in the Xenopedia about an Alien inspiring a movie :)?

You got it backwards, Aliens was inspired by XNT... retroactively. :D

Its says so in the xenopedia.

The real truth came out only when this mod was done. :cool:

You got it backwards, Aliens was inspired by XNT... retroactively. :D

Its says so in the xenopedia.

The real truth came out only when this mod was done. :cool:

Indeed :D

To chime in: I think the reaction modifier on gargols is not too bad as it is. My veterans are able to hit them with it and more important( to me): It makes sense that they don't get much reaction fire, especially by rookies, because they are fast. And since the game doesn't give aiming modifiers dependent on previous turns movement this is the only way to simulate the fact that hitting something that just raced though your field of view is hard to hit, especially when you couldn't see it coming due to buildings.

About fireing angles: It might seem unfair sometimes, but I have yet to see a really unfair situation. They shout diagonally from corners, and then are unhittable behind it but that makes sense.

My only problem in that direction is landing ships, you probably all know it: You can't see aliens on the gallery of the cargo hold, but they can see you below and shoot you of course. Once you see them with someone on the upper floor you can shoot upwards with people downstairs.

But of course that is a not a XNT specific issue ;)

My only problem in that direction is landing ships, you probably all know it: You can't see aliens on the gallery of the cargo hold, but they can see you below and shoot you of course. Once you see them with someone on the upper floor you can shoot upwards with people downstairs.

But of course that is a not a XNT specific issue ;)

This is designed by Kabil in FItH mod and you have to think about strategy how to deal with this, he gave player proper tools to do this.

This is designed by Kabil in FItH mod and you have to think about strategy how to deal with this, he gave player proper tools to do this.

Ah. Wasn't sure if it was FithH or vanilla.

And of course one can deal with it. Especially with explosives and Buzzards.

I was also weirded out by the c4 range I organized people around a wall ready to defend the hole but the moment I tried to put it down it was apparent I was dealing with a hell of a lot more c4 then I thought. Could you make a small c4 and a big c4 I would very much like that.