Hunter "Armor" Value

I searched the forum (probably poorly) because I assume this has to have already been brought up but found nothing, so I apologize if I am just retarded and/or rehashing something.

My first go with ground combat, my Hunter found a Sebellian(sp?) and since I didn't want to remodel the entire block, I brought up the precision rifleman that was in tow.

As far as the tiles went, it appeared that I had clear LOS to the target, but the Hunter was fairly close. Anyway, I fired... drilled the Hunter... nice shot.... glad we gave you a rifle with a scope Mr. Afghanistan Veteran.

Next round, I say you know what there Pavlov... go ahead and take a knee. Sight alignment, sight picture, aim and squeeze. This time he not only tags the Hunter again, his second shot turns it into a scrap heap. Those must be SLAP rounds, or one hell of a critical hit.

Third shot, I say damn the torpedos, Hunter-00 is already in the dustbin, fire away Pavlov. Smacks the Hunter a third time, this time vaporizing the scrap heap. At least we have no further LOS problems ahead of us, Yuri!!

So, the Alien proves to be as resilient as the Hunter, taking two shots to go down... which is scary as well as impressive.

So, obviously (I hope...) this is simply an early design consideration that has simply not had time to be fully fleshed out - or at the very least, a bug allowing precision rifles to golden-BB AFVs into oblivion.

Assuming the former, an AFV should be impervious to small arms fire as well as fragmentation from high explosives... my questions are:

1. How are AFVs modeled/to be modeled in comparison with standard issue grunts (In basic or light armor... i.e., not mech suits or whatever heavy armor may be down the road)? Is this always to be a strictly hitpoint based model where beating it with a crowbar will eventually slag it? Or will there be another model?

2. Assuming a separate model is using for damage in relation to AFVs, would it be a % chance penetration model or a True/False method with Can Damage = True applying a multiplier and then simply reverting to a hitpoint based model? (I.e., 5.56 = False, no damage. 20mm HE = True x.05 Damage. Alien Plasma = True x 1 Damage. AP Rocket = True x 2 Damage.) Or perhaps something my tiny ferret brain has yet to dream of?

Regardless of the answer, if any, to the above... Hunter-02 has been renamed "HONEYBADGER", which of course means that "it" is now "on", and that whatever deity these extraterrestrial turds pray to must be absolutely deluged with requests for deliverance.

"Where is your abnormally large craniumed god NOW, extremely illegal aliens?" Honey Badger inquires....

The Hunter is indeed a little too weak for my tastes; I'd prefer to see durability closer to that of the X-COM HWP, which could absorb 3-4 plasma shots on a regular basis.

I dunno about the mechanics behind the scenes or anything, but right now it appears that the vehicle is just a very large trooper with a lot of AP and basically the same HP.

While it's impossible to tell what the intent is regarding the armor itself, it can cripple itself with its own HE rocket blasts, which puts it closer to a HUMVEE than an APC/AFV. If it's not going to be armored, it really needs to have its HP quadrupled or thereabouts to be a viable contender once things start getting hotter on the battlefield (i.e., enemies start moving/firing).

It might be worth increasing the Ferrets kinetic resist to reduce its chance of being killed by human fire.

It is currently:

Front - kinetic="40" energy="35" chemical="40" incendiary="40"

Side - kinetic="30" energy="25" chemical="25" incendiary="25"

Rear - kinetic="20" energy="15" chemical="20" incendiary="20"

Basic armour has 5 kinetic, Jackal has 10 for comparison.

These values can be viewed and altered in armours_gc.xml in the assets folder.

I am not actually certain how the resistance numbers work though, don't remember them being discussed.

*edit* a sniper rifle to the rear armour does look like it would kill the hunter pretty quickly though