[v1.5/X:CE] Kabill's (Sort of) Random Maps!

kabill

But that's my point - a single screenshot doesn't really tell you anything about the maps. A screenshot of a building or a field full of hey doesn't really indicate how good the elements work together, which is the important thing with randomised maps.

In any case, I have some scroll-overs of a few maps that I'll upload at some point when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it's not. It looks like I've accidentally placed the hedges one tile SE than they should be (it shouldn't be hanging over the edge like that, either).

Could you describe the road layout of the map for me? It will help me find what map that is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a farm map where, in the NW corner I believe, there was a tractor sticking half way off the map facing the SW.

Another farm map had the center bottom tile with a road along the top edge of it, but the right edge of the road was a turn - that went into nothing.

Just pointing out bugs and stuff. I absolutely can't live without this mod, to tell the truth. So many different maps, it really makes the game feel so much bigger!

Thanks for these.

The issue with the tractor is (more or less) unavoidable. It's a consequence of how the submaps are placed. In principle I could fix it, but it would involve redoing the entire pack.

For the issue with the road, could you tell me what class of UFO you were assaulting? It would make finding the offending road much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: A new version of the Desert and Arctic map packs has been uploaded. There are no contents changes, but they now work with the mod loading system and are available on Steam Workshop as well.

I've not yet done the Farm maps as they're not working with the modular system properly and I don't know why. Hopefully I'll be able to resolve it.

And thank you for putting them up on Steam. For some unknown reason, I could never get your map packs (or Skitso's) to function the regular way. Have been suffering along with the same old maps til now. Just got a desert map that was unlike any I'd ever seen before (a battleship map with almost zero cover, simply huge expanses of open sand, quite challenging to cross). So, my sincere appreciation for your efforts

Tilesets are set areas on the map, where the game will randomly choose a map from that tileset's pool. This only drowns out other maps of the same tileset. But it doesn't drown out the chance of seeing other tilesets, so the chance to see tundra won't change

Ok, follow you on that, but do you know how the chances of a given tileset are distributed? Let's say a UFO lands in Alaska, where the map could be, say, arctic, industrial, or tundra. Are the chances for each tileset then 1/3 each? If so, that would give your maps a relatively strong opportunity to be seen.

Or is it totally random, i.e. the RNG could roll arctic maps for that spot a dozen times in a row?

Edited by dpelectric

The earth has 2 tileset masks which determines where tilesets are.

tilesetmask1.png

tilesetmask2.png

When the game creates a mission (crashsite, etc.) the game will randomly choose between the 2 masks which tileset to generate.

E.g. In Europe, only the farm and industrial tilesets are generated

As you can see from the masks tundra has a 50% chance to generate in Canada and upper Eurasia.

But yeah, Rng could screw you over and keep giving you the same tileset in a spot

tilesetmask1.png

tilesetmask2.png

tilesetmask1.png.4e3d9ec032276a26064b87c

tilesetmask2.png.27104b9bd648cdf5e5a1fd5