how many base defenses needed to protect a base?

I was informed to not put a squad in every base and instead to build base defenses for mid-late game. It's end of november and a base got destroyed because I had nothing there. Wondering how many base defenses are needed?

Its end of november and I have laser tech.

Dont you ever build more squads? I mean if I down a couple UFOS in north america or australia forget it, its too far away for a single dropship.

But yes, having a squad of 8 costs 8 X 100,000 =800,000 monthly?? Thats hugely unaffordable isnt it?

Batteries (assuming you aren't in a window where you're behind on tech) have enough damage to kill the relevant ship outright, but only a 50% hit rate. If I build them, I build 4 at a base which gives a 1 in 16 chance of failure.

Or just take control of the sky, and kill the UFO before it reaches your base.

I always build 3 batteries. But they never attack me.

Even you'll build 3 battery, you'll not be in safe. I had one base attack in past game. Base had 2 advanced (plasma) batteries against alien carrier. I have tried 3 or more times (with game reload) to repel enemy UFO and all these times my batteries missed their target. So this is just another game design error - batteries just useless. If you rely on them, be ready for that blind chance will determine your fate. It will be better to build one more interceptor.

I have tried 3 or more times (with game reload)

Every time you try with the same reload, you will get the same result. The game uses random numbers that are generated from a seed. The seed is also saved, so the same random rolls will happen every time you reload the game. This is to prevent cheesing as you describe.

If you had 3 different UFOs attack your base, you would have 3 different outcomes, but just reloading the same outcome will not change it.

In short, you will never know what is going to happen before it happens, but if you let it happen, you cannot easily change the past. It is possible, but requires you to go further back and change the circumstances by changing your actions prior to this point.

Every time you try with the same reload, you will get the same result. The game uses random numbers that are generated from a seed. The seed is also saved, so the same random rolls will happen every time you reload the game. This is to prevent cheesing as you describe.

No, you are wrong. Each reload UFOs behavior and attack results was little different. Some times missed one, some times missed both batteries. But this is not a point. Point is wrong mechanics itself. Such principal things like base survival may not depend just on one or two dice throws. This is a basic rule of game design: importance of the event should be proportional to its control.

No, you are wrong. Each reload UFOs behavior and attack results was little different. Some times missed one, some times missed both batteries. But this is not a point. Point is wrong mechanics itself. Such principal things like base survival may not depend just on one or two dice throws. This is a basic rule of game design: importance of the event should be proportional to its control.

The point is you should not rely on fixed defenses to defend a base solely. They are there to reduce or deny the aliens access, but not provide complete defense. You should always staff your bases with soldiers to clean up any aliens that do get through, as even one will result in a lost base.

Nowhere in the world would you ever find a military base without soldiers to defend it. Nowhere.

So why I need batteries at all? Thus, several soldiers enough?

Batteries can kill off many of the invading aliens before they arrive. If you'd rather have a lot of scientists or engineers at a base, but only a few soldiers, base defenses could be the difference between you facing 40 invading aliens and 3.

Batteries can kill off many of the invading aliens before they arrive. If you'd rather have a lot of scientists or engineers at a base, but only a few soldiers, base defenses could be the difference between you facing 40 invading aliens and 3.

good response thank you

But they may not to be! And in this case few soldiers will not be enough. So you need to keep here enough soldiers to repel invasion even if most of batteries will miss.

Balance the risk/upkeep and choose the best combination.

After all its what you do in tactical game, you will take a 90 % shot because its bloody likely it will hit. You might miss with 6 soldiers 36 shots of 95 % in arow and get your whole team murdered by one alien, but its very very unlikely.

Like they say, there are no sure things in life but taxes and death :). You can only make something very very probable.

I keep atm 2 x base defewnse battereis + 6 soldiers in each base, hope its a reasonable combination, tough hadnt any base assualts yet.

Edited by FireStorm1010

I had first attack on my base, during my normal playthru never got one, but now replaying with veteran and...

14688332133_504a169a0f_o.jpg

One laser-battery owned the Corvette. Batteries seem to be really good. Not sure what that number in front of the percentage is, is that damage, or overall health, or...?

I'm kinda sad that happened tought, as I stated I'm yet to see a base-defence mission :/

One question regarding that, altought a bit off-topic. Will we see civilians in our bases? Like mechanics and scientists.

Edited by kahvipannu

I had first attack on my base, during my normal playthru never got one, but now replaying with veteran and...

14688332133_504a169a0f_o.jpg

One laser-battery owned the Corvette. Batteries seem to be really good. Not sure what that number in front of the percentage is, is that damage, or overall health, or...?

I'm kinda sad that happened tought, as I stated I'm yet to see a base-defence mission :/

One question regarding that, altought a bit off-topic. Will we see civilians in our bases? Like mechanics and scientists.

Had a base defense recently, its really cool. No civilians in base, but the aliens trash the place and according to startign breifing, if they run amok long enough and shoot the place enough , facilities will get disabled for some time.So you definietely want to hurry to find them and engage. If you got no defence batteries there is really a lot of aliens and the fighting is pretty fierce.They attacked my main base , where i had no defences, so i got to see it all:).

So no civilians? I wonder if that is possible to change? I mean not having 30 scientist running around an such, but maybe fixed number like 5-10 scientist and engineers (or other npcs). And more importantly that the casualties would affect Geospace.

But that does sound awesome tought.

So no civilians? I wonder if that is possible to change? I mean not having 30 scientist running around an such, but maybe fixed number like 5-10 scientist and engineers (or other npcs). And more importantly that the casualties would affect Geospace.

But that does sound awesome tought.

Yeah i panikcing civs runign around would add to the confusion and fun:). Anyway what i think is really unique about base defense experience is its the single mission i had to face like 20-30 aleins focused, charging you from one direction. On all other missions they are pretty spread out, even if they are many. Here its a freaking armougeddon bloodbath.

Dont you ever build more squads? I mean if I down a couple UFOS in north america or australia forget it, its too far away for a single dropship.

I believe a dropship has enough fuel to traverse the entire map. I've never been unable to reach a remote site even with the starting Charlie.

I believe a dropship has enough fuel to traverse the entire map. I've never been unable to reach a remote site even with the starting Charlie.

But since crash sites only stay around for 24 hours it's often impossible to reach all of them if they're spread around the globe. It gets easier with the Shrike, but if you have the money to support another team (that will also double as a base defense force), it's not such a bad idea. Soldiers only cost 10,000 per month which is a meager 80,000 for a whole squad, but the real cost of fielding a 2nd squad comes a little later when you need to kit everyone one out in better gear for them to stand a chance against the later aliens. That's when base defense batteries come in handy because they have a fixed cost and get upgraded for free. I have five installed in my third base (currently at laser level) but haven't had the aliens attack that base (or my other two) so I don't know how effective they are.

The point is you should not rely on fixed defenses to defend a base solely. They are there to reduce or deny the aliens access, but not provide complete defense. You should always staff your bases with soldiers to clean up any aliens that do get through, as even one will result in a lost base.

Nowhere in the world would you ever find a military base without soldiers to defend it. Nowhere.

Exactly.