UFO doors kept open

Nibelung44

Hi,

I believe it would be much better if the UFO bay doors (and perhaps all internal doors) once open stay the same. Because lets be honest, we do exploit that by opening, firing, closing, until no one move (at least for the main bay door).

Having it stay open would reduce that. So, how can I mod this feature? :)

Edited by Nibelung44

There's no way to make the doors stay open once opened (except, of course, simply not closing the doors!). You can make them not auto-close, but that doesn't affect manual opening/closing at all.

(That said, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to block the UI when a door is open so it's simply not possible to click on an opened door. It's clunky, but it might work).

Do you know whether it's only specific doors or whether its all of them? I've had a quick look in the spectres and can't see anything special about them, but there's a lot of different door types. Just knowing the facility types would be fine.

Some doors could not be closed in previous versions because they had no sprite set for the open setting.

That meant there was nothing to hover over so no close button.

That's interesting. So if you put the door-frame images on adjacent tiles and had the door literally only be the door panel, you could make them uncloseable (and if you set them to auto-close then they'd still close at the beginning of the turn).

@TD: Not sure what you're asking. The properties of closed doors are it's 'default' state. Do you mean something else?

Just tested it with the light scout door and it does work.

I just changed the image for the open state to be the transparent.png in the assets/tiles folder and the door cannot be manually closed but does close automatically at the end of the turn.

Might be worth removing the frame and putting it on a different object to place separately but it doesn't look too bad with that quick fix.

I did something similar in M'nauts - the early UFO's have no (external) doors, which makes GC far more fluid and dangerous. That's by blanking out the door spectre and the image - otherwise the door cursor still appears. I had a play with various different methods (like the one above), and settled on this one, but it feels a bit too workaroundy.

They can't close it until the game decides to do that though.

I believe it is at the start of the players next turn rather than before the aliens turn so the enemy get a nice set of free shots through an open door.

At the moment you can close the door as soon as you have finished shooting and the enemy needs to approach the door and open it themselves, leaving them with reduced time units to actually defend the ship.

I think that does achieve something over the current system.

Removing the door completely also achieves very little if you want to view it like that.

The player can fire into the UFO from any range without even needing to approach it.

What would you suggest to completely solve whatever issue you have?

Edited by Gauddlike

They can't close it until the game decides to do that though.

I believe it is at the start of the players next turn rather than before the aliens turn so the enemy get a nice set of free shots through an open door.

At the moment you can close the door as soon as you have finished shooting and the enemy needs to approach the door and open it themselves, leaving them with reduced time units to actually defend the ship.

I think that does achieve something over the current system.

Removing the door completely also achieves very little if you want to view it like that.

The player can fire into the UFO from any range without even needing to approach it.

What would you suggest to completely solve whatever issue you have?

Issue: same as the OP....

I believe it would be much better if the UFO bay doors (and perhaps all internal doors) once open stay the same. Because lets be honest, we do exploit that by opening, firing, closing, until no one move (at least for the main bay door).

Having it stay open would reduce that. So, how can I mod this feature? :)

Suggestion to completely solve: make alien doors (ufo and alien base doors) open-able only once (i.e. they can't be closed)...just like the OP.

How to implement it: don't know...yet.

I disagree about removing the doors. I think it achieves a similar end product in that doors can't be closed, but it's a bit hacky - as there would be no doors in the first place. It's not a smooth fix, hopefully someone with better knowledge of sprites/map tiles can provide some insight. Removing the UFO bay doors makes a marked change in GC, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Suggestion to completely solve: make alien doors (ufo and alien base doors) open-able only once (i.e. they can't be closed)...just like the OP.

How to implement it: don't know...yet.

That's really easy - just have the doors set not to auto-close (most don't).

Yeah it is an easy fix once you have doors that cannot be manually closed.

At least there is some risk involved if they have to be opened.

Removing them completely just lead to me levelling the entrance from range without needing to approach the UFO.

Once you get past the very start of the game there isn't usually much in there to worry about saving.

If the modular UFOs with breachable walls work out then leaving the doors as they currently are wouldn't make much sense.

They would become the easiest and safest method of breaching the ship due to the open/close exploit while your freshly blasted doorway would remain open all of the time.

New UFO designs might also make ranged bombardment more costly or less effective as well.

It is a good time to be thinking about this.

If you removed the image from the "open" state as discussed above *and* turned off the auto-close, you'd be left with a door that can only be opened once and remains open from then on.

Roger that. I hadn't tagged on what you said to what was earlier discussed, hence my confusion.

Does the cursor still appear though in this workaround? I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah it is an easy fix once you have doors that cannot be manually closed.

At least there is some risk involved if they have to be opened.

Removing them completely just lead to me levelling the entrance from range without needing to approach the UFO.

Once you get past the very start of the game there isn't usually much in there to worry about saving.

I find it to be risky, but in a different way - the approach to the UFO can be hazardous, as the aliens can see (and therefore shoot). Which is far more risky than aliens not being able to see or shoot the 'nauts.