[1.07] UI - Darkened Alien Turn (replaces hidden movement image)

Harmonica

Skitso's removal of the hidden movement image led me to want to mod this minor aspect of the game myself. I always love the suspense of the hidden movement and alien turn in general but the image flashing up was a bit obtrusive.

- I have changed the alien turn to now be dimmed slightly in general (the same level throughout). The only exception to this is if you're fired upon by visible aliens and your troops have their reaction fire - I think this is working as intended and it's not distracting.

- When there is hidden movement, the darkness encroaches around the edges of the screen, and there is a printed text telling as much. I have designed it to avoid screen flicker (originally I tried dimming the screen only during Hidden Movement but the flashing was annoying) and I think I have succeeded.

- I moved the text to the top left of the screen, and changed alien turn to say 'Stand by...' (since the alien turn also includes neutral movement).

Preview:

n5Iq5b0.jpg

note that this was a terror mission so the screen may be darker than usual

How to install:

Download the file attached to this post

1. Back up the relevant original .lua files in assets\scripts, and your assets\strings.xml file.

2. Extract blackhiddenmove.png to Xenonauts\assets\uitextures

3. Extract hiddenmove.lua and hiddenmove_large.lua to Xenonauts\assets\scripts

4. Add some lines to your assets\strings.xml file:

You can CTRL+F and find 'hiddenmove.text', now select that entire block enclosed between

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">

</Row>

and replace it with these lines:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">hiddenmove1.text</Data><NamedCell     ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Hidden Movement</Data><NamedCell     ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>  </Row>     <Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">hiddenmove2.text</Data><NamedCell     ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>   <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Stand by...</Data><NamedCell     ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>  </Row>

In order to do this, I recommend using an editor like Notepad++ since this is a long file, or you may be able to use Wordpad. Notepad is generally not recommended since it handles larger files poorly (and files in general).

notes

If anyone has any problems installing this or during use, please post and I'll try to help!

If you don't want the 'Hidden Movement' or 'Stand by...' text, you can of course change those lines to read whatever you want (if you leave them blank that would probably work as well - but I haven't tested this).

I intend to perhaps mod the battle screen more thoroughly in future so I may revise this mod as well.

darkened_alien_turn 1.01 - Harmonica.zip

Edited by Harmonica

I run xenonauts over steam and somehow I fail to find the "scripts.xml" file.

I also failed to find scripts.xml. Checked around a bit and realized he meant strings.xml under \Xenonauts\assets\. Made the appropriate modifications and it works great!

I run xenonauts over steam and somehow I fail to find the "scripts.xml" file.
I also failed to find scripts.xml. Checked around a bit and realized he meant strings.xml under \Xenonauts\assets\. Made the appropriate modifications and it works great!

Ah, my bad, I was clearly not caffeinated enough when I wrote that bit. You're correct, I meant strings.xml, and thanks for helping him out. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No working for me. Not compatible with CE for some reason?

I followed instructions but the hidden movement screen still comes up, and still says alien turn.

Edit:

Ok, I sort of got it working, but the text is showing up as "######"

Edited by Muskrat