X:CE tester players/modders needed

Solver

Generally speaking, I want to be sure that the X:CE builds I release now are sufficiently stable. However, now that I've been doing some features that affect more parts of the game, there is a larger risk of me breaking things. I do test my own changes, but quite briefly and I just can't devote much time to that while simultaneously writing code.

This is why I am wondering whether there would be a few people willing to test an experimental build of X:CE. By this I mean both testing in normal gameplay, but also testing with some modifications. To be specific, the latest thing I did was an overhaul of buildings and the base upgrade system. If somebody could test the various new building parameters, different unlocks from technologies and whatnot, that would be of great help, because I am not yet ready to mark those as an official release, and at the same time I've got more cool stuff in the pipeline that I'd like to be working on.

Any takers?

I will also be needing testers for specific branches as I work on features and before I merge them into the overall Community Edition (so that I don't break things).

For example, the Memorial Wall will be ready to test in the next 24 hours and I'd really like to have a few people play with it before I release it since once I release it, I have to account for not breaking savegames (whereas during testing, anything goes).

Having a stable roster of testers would be great. You just have to be a little adventurous, desiring to work with the cutting-edge stuff (or what have you) and a willingness to put up with bugs/crashes/corrupted savegames. Though obviously, in my case, you'll have an impact on how the features I implement take shape.

Well, if anyone is interested in testing out the new memorial wall, give it a shot here:

http://ontheroadtoawe.com/webdev/temp/community0.24_memorial_wall.zip

It loads older saves fine but obviously versions of the game without the feature can't load saves you make with this version. Use at your own risk and all that.

I'm close to 100% positive that I'm covering every possible death condition but if you can find one I'm not covering, please let me know! Also let me know if you encounter any bugs or crashes. Thanks!

I should note that this version is more or less identical to version .24 of the community mod plus the memorial wall and some stuff Solver added between then and now.

I should have clarified; what I meant by covering death conditions is that I properly detect when a soldier dies, not that I have a unique string for every possible death. As it stands, soldiers are simply listed as Killed in Action or Missing in Action. Detailed information beyond that is a fair bit more work than I consider worthwhile at this time.

As for what I need testing help with. Mostly this.

Check that the new buildings work. Check that the parameters work. I have done basic checks, for instance, setting living quarters to 70 space works. But does it work with 2 building types where one gives 30 and another gives 50 living space? Do things work with a building that provides both workshop and lab space? What about a single combined radar/quantum decryptor building?

I've also changed how the base upgrade works to generic building upgrades. Does that seem to work?

I will put up a version later today that can be tested.

EDIT: Turns out the version in the memorial wall thread already has this and can be tested.

Edited by Solver

Test Results so far for generic buildings

• If you make several building types with the CommandCenter flag set, the game picks the first CommandCenter-flagged build for every new base you build. On the plus side, it doesn't crash if you have several CommandCenter flags set. On the negative side, you can't have several types of Command Center to help theme the base. As a basic example, you can't have a Command Center that takes half the time to build, but costs twice the money and a standard Command Center - it's one or the other.
  • If you have several buildings of the same type but a slightly different name, you can have them all. I've successfully built large, standard, small and pod-sized living quarters all in the same buildings file.
  • Also, the game will try to shrink or stretch the texture to match the dimensions you give it. This naturally works better when you shrink a building rather than stretch it - pod-sized (1x1) labs and workshops looked a hella better than limo-sized (1x3) workshops and labs.
  • I haven't yet tried out a base attack yet with stretched or shrunk buildings. That's next on the list

If you make several building types with the CommandCenter flag set, the game picks the first CommandCenter-flagged build for ever new base you build. On the plus side, it doesn't crash if you have several CommandCenter flags set. On the negative side, you can't have several types of Command Center to help theme the base. As a basic example, you can't have a Command Center that takes half the time to build, but costs twice the money and a standard Command Center - it's one or the other.

Ah, yes. I am not sure how else you could want it? What should get built automatically if there are multiple command center buildings? Also, the game should still be stable if you remove the flag on all buildings, it should then revert to the default command center.

If you have several buildings of the same type but a slightly different name, you can have them all. I've successfully built large, standard, small and pod-sized living quarters all in the same buildings file.

Nice! The Chief Scientist can finally get a one-person-sized building so that he stops bothering everyone else.

Also, the game will try to shrink or stretch the texture to match the dimensions you give it. This naturally works better when you shrink a buulding rather than stretch it - pod-sized (1x1) labs and workshops looked a hella better than limo-sized (1x3) workshops and labs.

I haven't yet tried out a base attack yet with stretched or shrunk buildings. That's next on the list

The size parameter in general and texture adaptation are nothing new, those exist in vanilla, too. I hope base attacks still work there!

Well, as a basic three options you could have x2 construction speed, x2 cost. x1 construction speed, x1 cost, and x0.75 construction speed, x0.75 upkeep, so fast, standard and cheap. Predictably, a player would pick fast for his second base, medium or fast for the third base and cheap for any manufacturing/research bases. But it would need a pop-up window and other UI elements so yeah, not something on the books, I guess.

No, but the auto-build behaviour could be disabled, and then the player would first have to choose a command center to place. Maybe that could work. Not something for right now, but this is an idea for an improvement.

Well, as a basic three options you could have x2 construction speed, x2 cost. x1 construction speed, x1 cost, and x0.75 construction speed, x0.75 upkeep, so fast, standard and cheap. Predictably, a player would pick fast for his second base, medium or fast for the third base and cheap for any manufacturing/research bases. But it would need a pop-up window and other UI elements so yeah, not something on the books, I guess.

Alternatively, you could have bases with additional bonuses flagged. E.g. Research space, Workshop space, Living Quarters space, or a free radar. Just to give a head start with whatever you want the base to do. (Radar might be to much of an easy choice in an otherwise vanilla game, though).