[REQUEST] Modding tutorials ?

Shepard

First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone here because I am fairly new in both the game and the forum, and this is why I had a little bit of hesitation before creating this thread. In fact, I discovered that game quite recently and decided to get it on Steam... and man I love this game.

I also realised that the game is actually quite mod friendly, and after some hours of gametime I decided to try few basic things like edditing soldiers/aliens stats, weapons stats, spawn rate of alien craft and other standard modifications. Then, I wanted to do something better things like adding my own creations into the game like custom weapons and aircrafts/vehicles but there I am really lost between all those .xml files.

But I also noticed there are already some good mods here, some of them adding lots and lots of weapons, and I wonder if it is possible to have "simple" tutorials threads ( even sticky to boost the modding community ) about how to add a weapon and/or a vehicle into the game.

I know it is probably not appropriate from a newcommer to ask such a thing, but I think it would be interesting to have a clear tutorial for people like me who have few ideas but don't know how to deal with the game files properly.

So thanks for reading, I hope it will be answered positively. :)

Thanks a lot !

I tried to figure out on my own how to add a new weapon, but my game crashes in the soldier equipement management screen when I go where my weapon is supposed to be ( I am in fact trying to do an actual MAG shotgun and turning the carbine into a real carbine ). It is probably an issue caused be the research and/or crafting codes that I poorly understand.

Thanks a lot !

I tried to figure out on my own how to add a new weapon, but my game crashes in the soldier equipement management screen when I go where my weapon is supposed to be ( I am in fact trying to do an actual MAG shotgun and turning the carbine into a real carbine ). It is probably an issue caused be the research and/or crafting codes that I poorly understand.

Equip screen crashes are likely to be either image related, or boo-boos in the weapons.xml file (ammo, or typo's are pretty common). The first draft of the guide is on its way.