Dual weilding pistols/ uzis

running sprinting would incease the soldiers movement, but drastically reduce his spotting range, leaving him very vulnrable to getting caught offgaurd, but would be nice if you left your medic further back and need him to rush up to a wounded soldier etc.

Using any weapon dual-handed decreases accuracy so far it isn't even funny. If it were to be realistically implemented, I don't know what use there'd be seeing as you wouldn't ever hit anything. Especially with dual automatic weapons.

Running, on the other hand, as well as going prone would be cool. However I'm pretty sure this has been discussed somewhere already, and I'm also quite confident the answer was "oh no please no not another fifty thousand sprites for me to do" ;)

Maybe it's just an imagination thing, but for me any soldier that moves so far that he doesn't have enough time-units to shoot is running. I'm not a big fan of putting in different movement modes and animations when as a turn-based game the speed of movement is an abstraction anyway.

Many years ago sitting with my friend we have tried to equip xcom soldiers with two laser pistols to improve their performance and to see how it would work

The only "performance" improvement in the X-Com series from dual-wielding pistols is reloading half as often. Using two laser pistols would have zero benefit over one laser pistol due to the infinite ammo.

Yeah, you can do it now...well, you can equip 2 and, as stated, double your ammo load. But so far I have yet to have to reload any weapon in a ground combat. I don't even carry spare clips. But maybe that's 'cause I'm playing on easy difficulty settings so I don't have to worry about things during alpha testing.

Pistol/grenade, though, is a good combo 'cause you don't lose AP equipping the grenade.

I would prefer to have conventional pistol only for suicide.

But i would like to have a cowboy action as well. With no real benefits through. This should only allow to play in a different style. IMHO

Edited by KOKON

I actually stumbled onto a bug in one of the earlier patches of Xcom 1. If you equip a blaster launcher in the soldier's right hand, and equip a pistol in the other, and leave enough time units for the soldier to fire the blaster launcher, he'll react shoot with the blaster launcher instead of the pistol. It was fun but usually meant that I'd lose a couple of soldiers (minimum) due to the blast radius of the launcher. I'm not sure if that bug has been fixed.

That was the only real practical use of dual wield in Xcom 1 that I could think of.

• 6 months later...

I think dual wielding pistols and uzi's would be a somewhat good idea. especially if your soldier is surrounded by alien enemies. I agree that it would be silly, BUT I believe there would be real life situations where dual wielding would come in handy, like if there are two or more targets you want to shoot that are a little separated from each other, or suppression fire.

Also sorry for bringing up this topic after so long. I just found it just then as I had been thinking that it would be cool if one can dual wield some weapons in this game.

BUT I believe there would be real life situations where dual wielding would come in handy, like if there are two or more targets you want to shoot that are a little separated from each other

Not if you want to hit them! :P

Maybe if you were bitten by a radioactive chameleon you would be able to fire at two targets at once when using 2 weapons. But I imagine the recoil would still be a hurdle in doing so with any notable accuracy.

I don't think there would be any point to it in game either. if you want to shoot at 2 targets you fire one shot on the first guy and one shot at the second. There is no point in being able to shoot at both at once. This is a TBS, not a RTS or FPS.

Uh, yeah no. This is something that belongs, and should stay, in movies. I have tried this, and can confirm that you will not be able to hit anything. (Going from full score with one to no score with two)

While Xenonauts might not be realistic, it does strive for a certain theme of seriousness like someone said. And no serious soldier would try this, as he'd know it just doesn't work like in fiction.

I'm not saying it's not cool, it is. Which is why we see it a lot.

I'd be okay with this being a feature, as long as reloading two dual-wielded pistols took a hell of a long time (it's a pain in the...) and there was a huge to-hit penalty outside of 5 feet, and there was massive spray spread.

To put it simply and bluntly, nobody in their right mind would do this in a combat situation in which their life depended on it. So feel free to be ...dumb and just blow bullets everywhere if you so desire. I'd personally not want to be anywhere near a person running with a gun in each hand ready to fire.

Having personal experience with medium and large caliber semi-auto pistols I can assure you that dual wielding with any accuracy is nearly impossible. Offhanded shooting is very difficult as it is. Full auto weapons single handed is completely inaccurate and actually quite dangerous to everyone in the area including the shooter. The only time this would be useful is if you were within touching distance of the target.

...I'd personally not want to be anywhere near a person running with a gun in each hand ready to fire.

Yeah, that's because they ROCK, and make HEADSHOTS and cool stuff all the time. I wouldn't like to be near a person with a gun in each hand either, because then i'd be DONE for.

I mean, it worked out fine in JA2 :)