Memorial Wall - Help Needed

Hi there,

I am one of the community coders and I am currently implementing a memorial wall screen.

I am doing some testing and would appreciate it if people could upload some saves from right before or during a terror mission and base defense.

Thanks.

Something I've been doing to force terror missions was simply to edit the relevant files. I'd open AM_Terror.xml, set the Ticker to 0, and Chance to 10000, so the very first UFO mission would be a Terror one - can come in handy.

Another request. This is my current placeholder for the memorial wall:

memorial_placeholder.jpg

If someone from the community would be so kind, I would love to replace the clipboard with something more wall-ish. I'm thinking a typical dark obsidian memorial wall. Same height or slightly larger would be fine.

If anyone feels up to the challenge, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'll likely stick with the clipboard image.

memorial_placeholder.jpg

memorial_placeholder.jpg.ae498c8d9451192

Another idea for you while you code. Leave the possibility for the soldier's name column also to display a small image - I think then a flag representing the soldier's home nation could be used, should some modder make small nation flags :)

I'll gladly help with graphics, but if you are planning to have it in barracs screen, a suitably themed clipboard would probably fit in better...?

Well, I'd like to avoid new 'screens' per se, in general, which is why I've decided to include it in the personnel management screen, which I also feel is thematically appropriate (I will likely be making a brand-new Funding screen but that's a whole different project).

That said, I'm open to artwork suggestions. If you think sticking with the existing clipboard is fine or creating a new deathlist clipboard would be best, I'll happily take a look and give that a shot.

Another idea for you while you code. Leave the possibility for the soldier's name column also to display a small image - I think then a flag representing the soldier's home nation could be used, should some modder make small nation flags :)

That's certainly a possibility. I'd eventually like to display some medals as well but I'm holding off on that until I've externalized medals to XML. I'll resize things once I actually have some sample data in there and have a better sense of how much room I need. The 'kills' and 'missions' columns are way too big at the moment. I definitely think there will be room for some extra doodads depending on what people want.

Yeah, fitting this in the personnel screen is a good idea but I think holding a stone wall in your hand breaks the immersion just a tad. A black, themed death list clipboard with suitable imaginery should fit there fine. I'll make you something tomorrow.

Edited by Skitso

You could have a look at the alternate clipboards I posted up a while ago, see if any are suitable.

The top three are sized for the personnel screen.

I was considering adding a watermark to the paper at one point, could always add KIA or something.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9647-Replacement-clipboards-for-base-screens?p=106376#post106376

Edited by Gauddlike

Yeah, fitting this in the personnel screen is a good idea but I think holding a stone wall in your hand breaks the immersion just a tad. A black, themed death list clipboard with suitable imaginery should fit there fine. I'll make you something tomorrow.

Fantastic, thanks!

You could have a look at the alternate clipboards I posted up a while ago, see if any are suitable.

The top three are sized for the personnel screen.

I was considering adding a watermark to the paper at one point, could always add KIA or something.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9647-Replacement-clipboards-for-base-screens?p=106376#post106376

These are pretty cool, depending on what Skitso comes up with I might use one of these, the black one with the metal holders in the corners is pretty neat and sad-looking.

You should probably give a bit more space per soldier to fit mugshot, rank insignia and medals there too to make it more personal. If there was another line or two of space per each soldier, I think it would be a funny little extra feature to have one extra modifiable cell where player could write some presonal last words. (how he/she served, death circumstances, most glorious heroics etc.) :)

Like this maybe:

0ch3gn0.jpg

Then just add small next/previous arrows for browsing. (I don't feel listing and sorting is that important here anyways, but to see the face of the fallen comrades is.)

Edited by Skitso

Hey, I know you're gonna hate me, but it jumps right at me that the memorial wall text says "honor" and not "honour". I do not wish to argue the merits of the various spellings, but consistency is a good thing, and the game consistently uses British spelling.

Testing Results so far

CTD on starting a new game and placing first base.

To test this, I copied 1.07 from the steam folder to new directory (and called that directory Xenonauts CE), then installed CE 0.24, then installed the memorial wall mod. The launcher launched, then main menu appeared and I started a new game. The Geoscape appeared, it asked me to put in a new base, on selecting a new location it asks for the name. On entering a name (or pressing enter), the game appears to freeze, then crash. Reverting to CE 0.24 clears whatever file is causing the crash and allows me to place the starting base.

Ah. Must be a packaging error. That exe file also includes the latest changes of my branch, but the zip lacks some new assets that are necessary for it.

Let me see shortly if I can get those files up, I am pretty sure that is the problem.

Would this do?

A4VTuj2.jpg (Please view the picture in full size)

If you don't like the watermark, I can do one without too.

I like the watermark, very appropriate. I'd be happy to use this with your consent.

That said, I do not plan on expanding the wall to individual listings at this time, that is beyond the scope of what I set out to do. My goal was mainly to mirror the functionality in FiraXCOM.

My future goals for this, as part of other things I want to do:

- Implement random callsigns when a soldier hits Rank 3 or somesuch; that will be displayed on wall.

- Implement random mission codenames; also display on the wall.

- Externalize/expand medals to open up for modding (this will likely be a fair bit of work) and add them to the wall.

Hey, I know you're gonna hate me, but it jumps right at me that the memorial wall text says "honor" and not "honour". I do not wish to argue the merits of the various spellings, but consistency is a good thing, and the game consistently uses British spelling.

Oops. This is a quick change in strings.xml. I was planning on changing this anyway to something more like "I've prepared the latest casualty reports for you, Commander." Too dour otherwise and I feel the latter is more fitting for what is actually a report. I will probably change the button to 'Casualty Report' as well since this isn't a Memorial Wall in any real sense.