Alien grenades make me incredibly sad

The alien turned to examine the area behind the destroyed hedge, saw the soldier and shot it? That sounds like a good AI response to the situation, tbh. It would be fishy if the alien ran all the way around the hedge to get to that soldier, though.

That's probably the most likely explanation. It's a bit odd though...there's a guy in his LOS already, looking at him would be more apt.

I wonder if it's due to the removal of the hedge - all of a sudden, there's no passable tiles between him and a Xeno, causing some kind of emergency-proximity-turn-and-face alarm.

Anyhow, as I said earlier, it's the kind of situation where people might think something underhand is going on. One which isn't easily explained.

To go slightly back on topic -

Can anyone say if the alien AI has 'squad sight' in the same way that players do; that is to say that if one alien can see you then all of the others on the map know exactly where all of your guys are?

I ask because almost all of the experiences I've had with grenades that felt unfair would be explained by that. The kind of behavior I'm talking about is like this:

I get my guys in position to storm a multiroom UFO.

I storm in and gun down a few guys in the front room.

Due to the rough and tumble of a brief firefight, and the varied TUs amongst my squad some people get pulled out of position.

An alien runs in from the next room nades two or more people, then obviously dies because he's just standing around like a numpty.

It's not a hugely common thing in my experience, but it does certainly happen. And since I grew up on Sierra games (save early and save often!) it doesn't bother me all that much. I'm ok with people dying but if something point blank unfair happens, like having four or five guys die from one blast on an otherwise easy mission, then I can go back and try a different approach.

I certainly don't think there are any huge problems with grenades (either alien or human) but the AI does at times do some weird stuff - Aliens that normally hug cover suddenly breaking out to hurl grenades at you, on the only turn when you didn't have reaction fire ready being a prime example.

To go slightly back on topic -

Can anyone say if the alien AI has 'squad sight' in the same way that players do; that is to say that if one alien can see you then all of the others on the map know exactly where all of your guys are?

certainly don't think there are any huge problems with grenades (either alien or human) but the AI does at times do some weird stuff - Aliens that normally hug cover suddenly breaking out to hurl grenades at you, on the only turn when you didn't have reaction fire ready being a prime example.

The AI does have squad sight; and does record what you do in its turn (if you get into LOS of an alien unit); just like the human player.

Essentially I modeled the AI to have the same limitations as the human player.

As for the reaction fire; sorry, but I haven't coded in any checks with regards to that AFAIK. :)