[v1.07 & X:CE v24] Asymmetric Weapons Tech & Plausible Advanced Ballistics (v0.4)

catmorbid

Then what's the point of them being unlocked that early? Do you intend to put it after you get predator armor? And the basic battle rifle isn't much different than the standard assault rifle other than lesser range, slightly more damage. It's more like an eh.

Hey, I just wanted to say that I really love your mod, it's very balanced and it opens up a lot of tactical possibilities. A couple things that I did want to point out though is that the Heavy MAG (mag storm? I can't remember the name off hand) weapon was a bit overpowered. It basically kills anything you point it at, even at long range, and it has a ridiculously low TU cost per shot, it basically fills the role of an assault weapon, so something should be done about that.

The other thing that I wanted to bring up was the lack of single handed sidearms for the other tiers of weapons. It isn't much fun that the only ballistics get unique sidearms and lasers and plasma only get basic pistols; it would be better if we had a couple variations of the current ballistic sidearms but in energy weapon form.

Then what's the point of them being unlocked that early? Do you intend to put it after you get predator armor? And the basic battle rifle isn't much different than the standard assault rifle other than lesser range, slightly more damage. It's more like an eh.

I was considering having predator as requirement research before unlocking ultra heavies, but then I considered the fact that due to the the hard requirements, they're already organically restricted, and the strength-enhancing tech from predator is already hinted in the research description. So, I like to leave it more open; if you manage to get a heavy weapons guy with high strength, you'll suddenly find those weapons usable. A reward for managing to survive that far.

Hey, I just wanted to say that I really love your mod, it's very balanced and it opens up a lot of tactical possibilities. A couple things that I did want to point out though is that the Heavy MAG (mag storm? I can't remember the name off hand) weapon was a bit overpowered. It basically kills anything you point it at, even at long range, and it has a ridiculously low TU cost per shot, it basically fills the role of an assault weapon, so something should be done about that.

Yeah... I thought it might be the case with that one :D I'm doing a rebalance pass at the moment, so I'll see what can be done about that :)

The other thing that I wanted to bring up was the lack of single handed sidearms for the other tiers of weapons. It isn't much fun that the only ballistics get unique sidearms and lasers and plasma only get basic pistols; it would be better if we had a couple variations of the current ballistic sidearms but in energy weapon form.

It's not impossible, though I'd have to do some mockup work with the graphics. The problem is, what kind of sidearms exactly. To keep it simple, we could have two sidearms for the advanced tiers. Basically one would be a longer range heavy damage single shot weapon, while the other would basically be a SMG type weapon or similar. I.e. damage per shot versus damage per second contrast.

That's a good idea anyway, I'll have to see if I have the time to do that, but right now I'm focusing on the rebalance pass.

I have to say, after putting in the improved armour mod and having an entire squad wiped by Sebellian grunts who were able to ignore a salvo of shotgun fire at point blank, I appreciate being able to unlock bigger guns early on.

Though if I was to offer a suggestion, I would point to Soviet stockpiles for certain weapons that would prove useful, if technically outdated, for early-game tech. Maybe a 'Surplus' research option early on that allows for additional firepower, while the newer, meaner tech takes longer to get to, if just to balance things out a little more.

One that would make sense is the Soviet PTRD 14.5mm anti-tank rifle, which was used effectively against light and medium tanks through WW2. It was a single-shot monster that fired a round that hit with roughly twice the force of the .50BMG. It also came in a semi-auto version, the PTRS. The Soviets kept stockpiles of them, just in case, and I would think it conceivable that they might ship a number of crates to the Xenonaut initiative as a cheap stopgap measure until something more reasonable came along.

Though this is just me being overtired and thinking out loud.

Edit: Aaaand I just noticed another mod that has them. Of course I only see it after I post.

Edited by Martian

• 1 month later...
SNIP

Touché. I soon discovered that all those small-caliber rounds soon became useless against the aliens. The adv. assault rifle was a good weapon in itself, but the adv. battle rifle had so much more damage output. The tried and true running-in-their-face became a more more useless. And was a lethal mistake to make. Especially with Androns. (having equipped my shield personnel with a submachine gun [or is it a machine pistol?] and my shock troops with shotguns)

• 11 months later...