Any way to turn off psi

or if you want you can go to aiprops.xml and find any aliens with PsionicPower= and chance the number down to something your more comfortable with, with out removing psionics 100% of the time

Yep that's what I did for my game, lowered psionic power by 25% about for every alien that has it and mind controls are far less common now. Weak bravery units still get controlled, but now units with 75+ bravery can reliably resist it. Feels far more enjoyable.

By reliably resist you mean 100% time or something above 75% ?

Well I reduced psionic power for the strongest alien type down from 80 to 60. So far, vs any of my soldiers with bravery of 75 or higher I have been mind controlled once out of 9 or 10 attempts.

However vs soldiers with 50-60 bravery it seems about 50/50 chance.

I also reduced the range of it from 8 to 3 so the enemy receives larger penalties when trying to control from across the map. They now need to be closeby to perform a psionic attack without penalties (this is my makeshift solution to the annoying lack of line of sight on the ability).

Open psionicpower_gc.xml in Assets folder and change AP to 100. Aliens won't be using them anymore, and reduce Dread to 0, unless you want the dread effect from the last alien.

Thanks a lot . I downloaded game from steam , do I still have access to that folder

I know I shouldn't hijack this thread but I have to ask, why? On easy, and I'm a total noob to Xcom or any game like it (Im terrible at most RTS games) but I find the Psi effects to be a great challenge that make me change my plans I made when I first started the mission.

I'm just saying, Psi, B.S. Sebellians throwing tons of grenades... It makes the game fun.

I know I shouldn't hijack this thread but I have to ask, why? On easy, and I'm a total noob to Xcom or any game like it (Im terrible at most RTS games) but I find the Psi effects to be a great challenge that make me change my plans I made when I first started the mission.

I'm just saying, Psi, B.S. Sebellians throwing tons of grenades... It makes the game fun.

in that regard i would have to ask how far have you gotten. see the aliens can do a TON of things that i don't mind one bit, grenades, one shot kill reapers who can run around at lighting speed, sebs who regen like crazy so if you dont hit them hard your going to end up dragging out a fight you cant win, androns who in the early stages are almost immune to shotguns(my favorite weapon) oh and the tag along buddys who start takeing sniper pot shots from half way across the map and instan gib a guy in full health and armor with a lucky crit, all that does not bug me one iota but my 80 bravery shot gun wielding commander loses his mind to an alien literately on the first turn of an alian base then processes to turn and blows my predator armor wearing machine gunner away all because xenonauts have guns that are better suited to kill one another then aliens added to the fact out side of luck the "armor" that i have vs Psi attacks is next to impossible to level and even if it is really high at best your looking at a 20 maybe 30% reduction vs attacks that can effectively 1 shot troopers with no line of sight, which all translates to me as pointless so i tweaked my settings so at max bravery most psi attacks are only going to work about 15-20% which makes for acceptable risk as long as i put in the work to have my bravery leveled( which i am also looking into tweaking just not sure i can change much out side of being able to gain more then one point at a time)

In X-COM you had a reliable psionic defense called PSI-Strength, when above certain value, your soldier was immune to psionic. Here you have 0 defense.

Yeah also I was thinking why in XCOM EU alien mind control seemed reasonable to me, opposed to my increduflity with Xenonauts. Despite the fact that in XCOM EU you also have very high chances of getting mind controlled there are a few very important differences:

1-You got willpower for defence, tough i have had even 80+ willpower soldier mind controlled, so clearly it doesnt help so much.

2-What makes it reaseaonble for me is the fact that the mind controlled solider wont proceed to murder your squad in the following turn.Yes its still a very bad situation , as he is under alien mind control for 3 turns, and you got +1 enemy and you got -15% of your squad strennght but you got 1 turn to counter it and prepare.So no loosing of vets due to 1 bad roll. It makes all the difference for me.

3-Obviously it required alien los of your soldiers, which is also a game changer

Edited by FireStorm1010

1-You got willpower for defence, tough i have had even 80+ willpower soldier mind controlled, so clearly it doesnt help so much.

Even 20% chance will be successful sometimes. I had once 89% chance to MC the Etheral and failed. 80+ gives a very high chance of shrugging off MC attack.

In Firaxis XCOM MC isn't that tragic in the first turn, but the control last I think 2-3 turns. But yeah It is quite better because you can react to it. It's not "I win" skill.

In X-COM you had a reliable psionic defense called PSI-Strength, when above certain value, your soldier was immune to psionic. Here you have 0 defense.

That's not entirely true. I don't think psi-strength ever made you flat-out immune (even if it reduced the chance very low).

Strictly speaking that's true in Xenonauts as well, except the strength of alien psionics is very strong compared with most morale values (aliens with MC and berserk have 80-100 psi strength, which gives them ~50/50 chance even against soldiers with very high morale scores (power range notwithstanding; even with that the chance of success is always going to be at least ~25%).

So it's not that high morale has no effect, it just doesn't have as extreme effect as a soldier with high psi-strength in the OG. (I'm not implying this is a good thing, mind).

It's not but it is the major factor. Psi Skill also counts but having extremely high psi strength (75+) as base reduces chances of MC to 25% and lower from Etheral Commander on Superhuman. And I think bravery and 100% morale also counts too.

Edited by silencer