Base building space - or digging a Basement

One of the truly silly restrictions of X-Com has always been how few buildings you could physically fit into a single base.

I usually ended up with one base mostly for storage alone. Stupid.

What buildings you have in a base should depend on what you want to build and if you can afford it.

Unless you're building your sekrit base in the middle of a city, space itself would not be an issue.

What could be an issue is the map size the tactical engine can handle.

If you simply allow more tiles and the game crashes when trying to load the map on a base attack, that's a no go.

In that case, the base could simply have *drum roll* a basement!

No hangars / garages can be built in the basement level because the vehicles need to have access to the surface.

Everything else is not handicapped by a flight of stairs or a lift.

The tactical engine already does multi-level stuff so if ground and basement level each get 2 map levels, that's plenty for the map designer to play with.

2 levels are less at-a-glance in the base building window because you couldn't see the entire base at once... unless the base area is rectantular instead of square and you see both levels at once.

Obvious is good.

Hmmm. Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree.

Con:

One could argue that the base's power plant can only support so many buildings.

I'm not sure how a good interface for multilevel building would look.

It might be tricky to pull of, because there would be a need for 4 versions of each building (top with building underneath, top without building underneath, basement with building on top, basement without building on top) so there would be no missing/strange staircases in base defense missions.

Pro:

It would definitely open up new possibilities for defensive base planning, that could be interesting.

me = undecided

Actually you could make the map 4 levels high, have each building 2 levels high and just put a second ground level in the middle.

You wouldn't need extra versions of rooms because you can also decide what level to place those buildings in the map builder.

You would just drop Storeroom1 at level 3-4 on top of LivingQuarters1 which is at 1-2.

Further over Storeroom1 can be placed at 1-2, below Hangar1 etc.

You would still need to limit the base size of course but it could easily be double the size it is now.

The aliens could wander off and never be found if it was too big.

Placing stairways and lifts where you wanted them could help seal away the delicate stuff from the aliens.

Unless they get there first of course, you could be in trouble then.

I think 2 levels might be too complicated to do this far in the development process, but Chris would have to answer that.

Of course, we already have multiple (about 5-6?) levels (stories) in a tactical map. So it should be possible in the tactical engine without having to load a "basement" map.

Re. Gazz's storage problem, note that the storageroom has infinite capacity, so you won't have that problem in this game.