[v1.09] Magnum-nauts

I have to say again, how much I love this mod!

I didn't really read this thread much, so if im repeating something please excuse me.

(Consider this user constructive feedback)

About SMG's

- The Thompson "SMG" causes allot of "self inflicted harm" while shooting out of windows (FYI - the Suomi not so much)

I mostly get these on grunts, so I assume its due to low aiming? But even the worst "spray and pray" soldier wont shoot straight through a window without breaking it first...

So I was wondering if this can even be addressed?

To be clear im talking about sitting in front of a window inside a house/store/bus station (so the tiles touch).

- I kind of think the SMG's need to be nerfed down abit. (Altho I also enjoy them the way they are now, and think they are realistically portrayed)

Atm all you really need is the Thompson/Soumi and a few nades (maybe Jackal armor) and you can deal with most encounters...

They really out perform the Shotguns as they can shoot more and have a higher % of suppression (didn't look at the numbers, but thats how it feels) and they take fewer TUS to acctivate, so a decent soldier can easily move a few steps and still fire 3 volleys... Usually that's enough even for the Androns...

Or maybe im misusing the shotguns?

(Can you take out an Andron with a shotgun?)

At long range spray and pray works almost as good as a rifle (the true sniper rifles wont stand out due to the small maps anyway) because the combination of: the % to hit from a spray and pray, the suppression and the cover destruction make for a lethal combination.

About the Alien flamethrower (?)

Not even sure if this weapon was in vanilla?

But they seem to be useless... I have twice by now had soldiers survive a whole "blast" while wearing only jackal.

The aliens only seem to be using this effectively during base defense missions, when they just go around BBQ all your expensive lab equipment...

Did you modify alien weaponry?

Are you planing to?

Early on, they seem to be underwhelming...

Also the local forces weapons, They seem to still have the vanilla weapons, perhaps you would like to change that?

Im saying this because,

Im really trigger happy with my rockets and flamethrowers... and i end up looting what I can and its somewhat odd to run into vanilla weapons...

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Most of this well actually be addressed in the next version (along with various other bits), it's stuff I've noticed myself too.

With the SMG's & self-inflicted harm...do you mean the a-180 (the first SMG)? There was a boo-boo with it - it's bullet type was set to rocket, so it was having an area effect (the a-180 entry was my mock-up flamethrower when I was working on that; I missed a bit when changing it back to normal), which means it could damage the user. There's a patch for it a few pages back (it's also in the main download now anyway).

The SMG's as a whole are being a little bit too sexy. I've dropped the accuracy of the burst down to 20 for the next version, which is the same as LMG's - it seems better. I realised they were a bit good when one guy took at 8 ET's during a terror mission. The suppression they cause is quite low - I find that I can only suppress an injured/previously suppressed alien with them, even with all three bursts (with the lower accuracy setting, anyway). I'll keep a close eye on them, I may up the recoil to 70 (in line with the other MG's), which would make it a weapon for more "elite" assault troops. Shotguns can splat Androns - only from point blank range-ish. They can tickle them from further out. I rarely use them from more than two tiles.

The alien flamethrower is a rare example of me including something that I wasn't particularly comfortable with. I threw it in at the same time as I made the flamers, and was never convinced by it, but left it in anyway. There's a couple of ways to go with it: revert the weapon back to normal (it was the alien battle rifle, still is for names sake), or up it's juice a bit. But I think I'll just knock it back to normal, as I don't like messing with the alien weapons. Which partially answers the alien weapons question - I haven't changed any of the others.

The local-yokels, they're all on vanilla ballistics, as they only have the sprites for those weapons (and lasers, but they're not having them!). I could quite easily change that too. Seeing as they rarely hit anything with those weapons (unless it's farmer with shotgun vs reaper), I could give them some of the better weapons...which would make them fun to pick up if one hasn't researched them yet. The arctic guys could use the big-bore lever guns, cops could use the model 57 (it was designed with po-lice in mind), farmers the 10ga lever shotgun, soldiers the m1 or m14, taliban maybe the svt-40.

With the SMG's & self-inflicted harm...do you mean the a-180 (the first SMG)? There was a boo-boo with it - it's bullet type was set to rocket, so it was having an area effect (the a-180 entry was my mock-up flamethrower when I was working on that; I missed a bit when changing it back to normal), which means it could damage the user. There's a patch for it a few pages back (it's also in the main download now anyway).

This explains so much, I had a few raised-eyebrow moments...

There's a patch for it a few pages back (it's also in the main download now anyway).

I've dropped the accuracy of the burst down to 20 for the next version, which is the same as LMG's - it seems better.

Im sorry, but im having a hard time keeping up with your releases & versions...

Was a new version release? Or you just sneaked in a hot-fix to the "rocketbullet"?

If its not too much, can you state anywhere really visible what version of Magnum. is the one for download?

Maybe even a mini-changelog?

Shotguns can splat Androns - only from point blank range-ish. They can tickle them from further out. I rarely use them from more than two tiles.

I had 2 really bad encounters with Androns who weren't amused at my point blank blasts...

Is accuracy factored in?

I usually give Shutguns to high TUS low ACC guys and mostly shoot at "snap" thinking "how can he miss".

But they could.... or some really bad luck with he Andron armor?

If you say it should work, I will be less paranoid and report back...

The local-yokels, they're all on vanilla ballistics, as they only have the sprites for those weapons (and lasers, but they're not having them!). I could quite easily change that too. Seeing as they rarely hit anything with those weapons (unless it's farmer with shotgun vs reaper), I could give them some of the better weapons...which would make them fun to pick up if one hasn't researched them yet. The arctic guys could use the big-bore lever guns, cops could use the model 57 (it was designed with po-lice in mind), farmers the 10ga lever shotgun, soldiers the m1 or m14, taliban maybe the svt-40.

Hell yeah!

Cant wait for next version!

Im sorry, but im having a hard time keeping up with your releases & versions...

Was a new version release? Or you just sneaked in a hot-fix to the "rocketbullet"?

If its not too much, can you state anywhere really visible what version of Magnum. is the one for download?

Maybe even a mini-changelog?

It was just a little patch to fix that, back on page 2. I try not to do many releases, for that very reason, so it's easy to keep track of (since this thread started, there's only been the main download and the patch). I'll put a version number (or date of release) on the next one. For a changelog, I'll update the details in the first post - and do updated picture charts. The one for the next version will have all the changes in bold, but I'll leave the old charts up too for easy comparison.

I had 2 really bad encounters with Androns who weren't amused at my point blank blasts...

Is accuracy factored in?

I usually give Shutguns to high TUS low ACC guys and mostly shoot at "snap" thinking "how can he miss".

But they could.... or some really bad luck with he Andron armor?

It'll be the armour. They don't have much of it, but also shotguns don't have armour mitigation. I tend to soften up Androns with longer-range weapons before going in for the kill. This way, they should only need one shot from up close. If you're completely missing them though, it's likely a range issue. I like to get close enough to smell them.

Think we'll be seeing the new toys soon now that 1.08 is out? I'll definitely wait for that 1895c!

Man, they snuck out 1.08 quickly. I'm aiming to release in a week, before next weekend. I need to finish off the weapon images, and then it's just texty-stuff.

There's also going to be a new alien - the "alien sympathiser" - which isn't really an alien at all. But a suicide bomber. I'll upload a video of it later on, when I can stop laughing at it. It's a middle-eastern civilian who goes boom. I checked it out earlier, and they were all running across a field at me, I laughed so hard.

Here they are, in all their glory. The first chap, he cocks it up so has to set off a second explosion. The second fellow is obviously a pro; he nails it first time:

[video=vimeo;101011679]

Brainwashed into joining the aliens, the Caesans deploy these guys as their battlefield pets, just like the Sebs with the Reapers.

Edited by Mikhail Ragulin

great work man!! I wil be toying around with it once I finish vanilla (with maps... and some personal changes hehehe) but in the meantime, how the hell did you repositioned the soldiers list window??? that f*** s**t bugs the hell outta me!!

cheers!

*edit: I found it in your UI changes post, youre a god man!

Edited by axiar

Are you planning on integrating the bomber units in a research, or do they drop some kinda of loot for the after mission funds? It sounds like those are a easy way to lose veterans even (Much like reapers)

Having a research for them is a good idea, that's something to look at in the future. They aren't too destructive, I've got them in as an early game unit for the Caesans. They do 50 damage (the same as a frag grenade), which won't kill any grizzled veterans (or pretty much anyone with armour) - but they are annoying, as they remove cover when they blow up.

New version is nearly ready, btw (probably within the next couple of days).

Nah, only once. Their health is pretty low, so the first explosion kills them (although, on very rare occasions, they do survive the first blast and set another one off).

I'm not a fan of save or die either - which means reapers have been turned down a bit. In the current version, the Sebs bring two along for every mission type, but it's now one (apart from terror missions, which is still two). Two on non-terror maps gets a bit too hard (the terror maps generally have longer lines of sight, so they're easier to kill).

We're all systems go for v1.09. I've updated the download link in the first post with the new one. I'll update the details in the first post this evening and tomorrow (there's been quite a few changes, but they're mostly within the weapons as oppose to gameplay).

In the meanwhile, here's the new weapon stat-sheet. The bits in bold are changes from the last version (all will be explained later). The tool-tips and what-not in the game are all up to date, so this sheet is really just for referencing changes from the last version (and spotting new guns):

qHi8sPO.png

Also, the thread title needs updating to 1.09 - can I do this, or is it a job for a higher power?

Edited by Mikhail Ragulin

No Fedorov Avtomat?:(

That could actually be in the next version. I'll be adding a line of "automatic rifles" - which is why the m14 has disappeared in this version (with it not being strictly an assault rifle, due to it's full sized chambering), as it will be in that category (with probably the avtomat, fg 42, and one more that I can't remember).

The m14 is still in the game at the moment...but only friendly AI units have them. Which gave me a thought - I could add the colt single action army that you mentioned earlier as a civilian only weapon, making it sort of a battle pickup gun (like the m14 is in this version).

Woooooooooooooooooooo I've been waiting for this! If the m 14 is still in the game civilian might suffer accidents.... they were coming right at me!

What role are the automatic rifles going to fill?

Edited by Lerzan
auto correct

Woooooooooooooooooooo I've been waiting for this! If the m 14 is still in the game civilian might suffer accidents.... they were coming right at me!

What role are the automatic rifles going to fill?

Taking friendly fire to a whole new level!

The auto rifles will be the "daddy" version of the current AR's. They'll be more powerful, as they all fire normal rifle cartridges (unlike the intermediate ones in the AR's) - probably following the same, or slightly lower, model as the semi auto's (30-60), rather than that of the AR's (20-40) - but will have bigger recoil (probably 65, and less suppression than the lmg's so as not to tread on them). They'll have a bit more range than AR's, but probably less than the semi auto's. So they'll be good for riflemen who have high strength (over the recoil limit). The one I couldn't remember may well have been the avs-36.

Just quick feedback, it feels like the snipers are a little weak. Seeing a shot do 14 damage to a caesan is a little sad. Add to the fact that you need to stay still to keep the accuracy and it seems like it isn't quite worth using. Plus I actually was able to go beyond the range of it, though that only happened once.

The new carbines feel pretty good though, I'm liking that change. Haven't got to really use the lever actions yet. Still having a lot of fun though!

That's odd...the snipers shouldn't be hitting for that low. Keep an eye on it. The starting one, the enfield, does 35 damage (so the very lowest it can go, with the random damage modifier, should be 18).

Yeah, the carbines are pretty nice now. It's useful having a weapon that can hit for two aimed shots (even though it's range is low). The levers, they're like a treat...I usually wait until I've got someone with strength and accuracy over 65, and then they're so much fun. How about the new-style AR's, with the bigger burst/less range?

I like the new ARs but I think maybe lowering the burst to 4 bullets. It's a almost instant kill at short range against the early mobs (this is on normal with a AK-74) even sebillians. I do like the new feeling though so I wouldn't want a large change.

I don't know if it's a vanilla bug but if I have a shield in one hand, the club in my main hand and a pistol in my backpack and I drag the pistol out of the pack into my main hand, the club disappears. I don't see it in my backpack or on the ground. It doesn't break much with my style of play but I can see it causing issues.

I only get success with the burst from point blank range (and sometimes, not even then). Give it a try at 4 - or another way would be to up the TU% (to 80 from 60), which might be better...that way, it could only be used defensively. If there is going to be a weapon that's OP compared to the others, I'd be happy if it is the AR.

Yeah, that's a vanilla bug, I've reported it before. It happens when the inventory is full (or close to full - in which case the smaller inventory sizes amplify the frequency) - sometimes the item just vanishes. Bit annoying when it's a weapon that disappears. I get around it by dropping the item from the hand, and moving another over, then putting the first item into the backpack manually. I got used to it after a while.

I've been getting around 3 hits at 5-6 tile range. I'm hesitant to call op though because while it can burst something down, you could get close and snap shot em as well. It could easily be that it's strong with my style of play. I'll wait for the more armored foes to appear before I make a final judgement. It makes a versatile weapon which I think is a good thing.

Well darn.

That's what I started to do. I trained my magnum-nauts to just drop what's in their hands when reaching for their packs. ;)

I just got a terror mission I couldn't get to in it. I sent my drop ship the second it popped up but they nuked the city before I could get there (it was as far away as possible on the geoscape, but man does Asia hate me now.) Are they normally short windows to get to?

/even with my comments I just want to say I'm loving it, thanks again for the awesome mod!

//your description or the ARs in the main post needs to change from poop off to pop off xD

Edited by Lerzan

It's probably a play-style thing. I tend not to pick up many kills with rifles, I get most of them with the breaching weapons. I'm screwed without them though, as they soften a lot of targets before I go in for close range satisfaction.

Terror sites use the same timer as vanilla. They're on the map for between 12 and 24 hours. However, I'm pretty sure that if there is a bird on route to them, then they stay on the map - which means that they could be on the map for much longer than this, if it's on the other side of the world and charlie is on its way. It's quite exploitable too - knowing that it's going to be there for at least 12 hours, I like to wait until sunrise. But you had a ship on route?

I make that pop/poop typo quite often. The last time was when messaging some hot girl. Didn't hear back from her, oddly enough.

Ah I try to stay a little farther away to reduce the random kill shots on my guys. I have one, maybe two breachers for the scouting/ work.

Yea I had my only drop ship en route to the terror mission and before I could get to Tokyo they nuked themselves. Was rather annoyed as I was over the sea separating China and Japan.

Huh, I can think of any reason why! :D

Speaking of random kill shots, I think I've managed to decrease them. I was getting pissed off with being wasted behind cover (from distance), so in this edition the cover value (at the top of weapons_gc) has been increased slightly (1, from vanilla's 0.9 - basically, it gives cover a higher value, like 45% cover is now 50%), and I'm not getting the random deaths. If troops die, it's my own damn fault - either the aliens have got too close, or I've left myself open from the side.