[v1.07] Xenopedia Entries for Upgraded Aircraft Weapons (v1.0)

BuzuBuzu

Xenopedia Entries for Upgraded Aircraft Weapons (v1.0)

My Motivation for Making This Mod

I remember playing the original XCOM like it was yesterday ... wait a minute, maybe I did play it yesterday :D. I fondly remember reading the Ufopedia and obsessively going over the stats of different weapons and armors. The Xenopedia in Xenonauts is not bad in that respect but one part of it has been irritating me since I started playing v1.0 of the game. This is the lack of Xenopedia entries for the upgraded aircraft weapons. Recovering UFO data cores rewards you with the stats of UFOs (including hitpoints) but after upgrading to the second tier of aircraft weapons it's not possible to figure out how many of each is actually needed to bring a UFO down - not from within the game anyways. It's possible to find the stats for them in the game's assets, but that really breaks immersion and it's quite easy to spoil yourself silly if you look in the wrong place. There's really no excuse for the stats to be inaccessible from within the game (especially given that the Xenopedia already has a format for displaying aircraft weapon stats).

What This Mod Does

It adds Xenopedia entries (including pictures) that unlock with proper research for the following:

• Gatling Laser
  • Plasma Blaster
  • MAGSTORM
  • Alenium Missile
  • Plasma Missile
  • Hyper Missile
  • Alenium Torpedo
  • Plasma Torpedo
  • Fusion Torpedo

Installation Instructions

1. Back up your game files. Go to the assets folder in your game installation directory and make a copy of "xenopedia.xml" and "researches.xml". Copy these files over the modded files if you wish to stop using the mod.
  2. Extract the mod into a temporary folder. Copy "xenopedia.xml" and "researches.xml" into the assets folder of your game installation directory and overwrite the original game files. Copy the image files from the Xenopedia Images folder to the "xenopediaimages" folder in the assets directory.
  3. Enjoy

If you want to see how the entries for each weapon look in the game without doing the required research, copy "_basebuilt.lua" into the scripts directory in your assets folder. All of the new aircraft weapon entries should unlock after you place your first base. You may want to make a backup of "_basebuilt.lua" before you do this so you can copy the orginal file back over the modded one.

I've also included a text file with all the new entries and the changes you need to make for them to appear after the proper research is completed. This should make integrating my mod with any others a little easier.

Finally, I've based the content of my new entries on the weapon stats from "aircraftweapons.xml". If these change in the future or are altered by any mods, the text entries may not be correct and will require editing.

Download

[ATTACH]4698[/ATTACH] (updated July 2, 2014)

Usage Disclaimer

My hope is to combine this mod with Lore+ because I'm a big fan of it and love what its authors have added to the game but also because it changes the same files as my mod so I imagine it would be easier to manage in the future.

However if anyone else wants to use my work in any other mods, you're more than welcome to do so.

Bugs

I haven't gotten far enough in the game to be able to test if all the entries unlock following the correct research (only got to lasers and alenium warheads), but I did unlock them all with a script at the beginning of the game and they appear as intended. If anyone finds any bugs, please be sure to let me know.

Xenopedia Entries for Upgraded Aircraft Weapons (v1.0).zip

Xenopedia Entries for Upgraded Aircraft Weapons (v1.0).zip

Edited by BuzuBuzu

Hey Buzu thanks for this! Quick question though, I'm having an issue where as I upgrade, for example auto cannon to gatling laser, the entries are changing. Auto cannon then gets the damage and stats of the gatling laser, sidewinder missles get the stats of alenium, and so on. The newly researched items are correct, but the previous ones are mirroring the newest ones in stats. Sorry If I had some trouble trying to explain that there, wasnt sure how to really word it =P

That's interesting, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

In "researches.xml", whenever you research an upgrade to an existing technology (for example researching "Advanced Lasers") aside from unlocking Xenopedia entries with function UnlockKnowledge("TECH NAME") there are also calls to a function ReplaceItem("OLD ITEM","NEW ITEM"). I think this is responsible for automatically upgrading your aircraft weapons.

But maybe what this function also does is swap weapons stats into the Xenopedia entries for starting aircraft weapons. Or maybe it's just the way that the replacement of weapons happens in that the base weapon research slots (Autocannon for CANNON, Sidewinder for LIGHT, and Avalanche for Medium) also serve as current weapon stat slots. So when your aircraft weapons get upgraded the current weapons stats get copied to the Xenopedia. Or the Xenopedia entries for starting weapons are reading from another location which is getting the updated stats.

I have a hunch that you can observe similar behavior without my mod installed, in that the currently researched aircraft weapon stats will show up in the vanilla game's Xenopedia entries for Autocannon, Sidewinder, and Avalanche. So when you research Gatling Laser, the stats for the Gatling Laser will show up in the Autocannon Entry. I'm going to see if it's true.

If true then it's probably a bug in the original game, or maybe this was some half finished idea of having the Xenopedia display entries for the current aircraft weapons (the stats get updated but the text and image is missing).

Edited by BuzuBuzu

The issue that Zealin raises is indeed part of the vanilla game. I've watched the damage of the Autocannon, Sidewinders, and Avalanche increase every time I research a new aircraft weapon tech; they are the stats for the upgraded weapons.