Wounded/Incapacitated/Dead Soldiers during tactical battles

First of all I want to congratulate the team for releasing such an excellent game.

I have a few questions regarding the health state of my soldiers during the tactical battles when they go down or get hit by alien fire. My first question is if there are actually fatal wounds that you have to stabilize in order to keep your soldier alive until the end of battle. In the old Xcom, your soldiers could be critically wounded which ultimately leads to their demise, is such a mechanic in this game as well? I noticed that some soldiers actually bleed, can this be cured or is it random?

Then I noticed that some incapacitated soldiers can still be healed with medkits. Sometimes I don't even know if my soldier is actually dead or just critically wounded. I can't see any difference until the very end of the mission where you get a summary. Also does it actually help to heal downed soldiers with the medkit?

Basically from the 10 hours that I have played so far, I usually try to heal every soldier that I have once he gets shot or goes down. Even if the soldier lies on the ground I still try to heal him in order to "stabilize him". Now I wonder if this is actually useful at all and does it make any difference. Also how can I differentiate if a soldier is kia or just heavily wounded? Thanks in advance, I'm not clear about those mechanics.

Edited by junker154

I noticed a bleeding icon next to a few portrays and the game actually tells you that these soldiers while loose health to bleeding but I still need to figure out if my soldiers are still actually alive or not. Sometimes I waste precious turns to heal downed soldiers only to find out during the summary that they're dead.

Or perhaps it's intended as a design choice, not knowing if your soldiers is actually alive or dead until the Zone is clear and safe from aliens.

So if a soldier is killed in a less harsh/brutal manner, the chance of being revived is bigger? Basically if a soldiers gets a full plasma burst shot in his face, the probability of him being revived is really low? If this is actually true do I need to use my medkit on them to increase the chances?

Thus far I'm fairly sure when soldiers are dead when they explode into a bloody mess by explosives :P or when they burn in some fire.

...Pretty sure that the Chunky Salsa rule applies for the *Possibly only in (very) critical condition* revival mechanic...

So yeah, if they're only hit marginally bad (say...from Plasma Pistol spray), they have a better chance of pulling through than someone who's had their chest turned into roasted beef (if at all).

I think that their survival chance steadily decreases with each passing turn after their "death" though (don't quote me on this).

Apparently it's not entirely clear what determines if a soldier is dead or simply critically wounded. Anyway I play on normal for now until I get a hang of the game and a good grasp of the game mechanics, I believe that on higher difficulties the aliens will be far more lethal anyway.

Still it's always good to know about the gameplay mechanics.

how does this work in regards to reapers? since they can one-shot you regardless of your armor or health, do they have a fixed chance for that? or does a high armor/ high health increase your chance of survival?

not that it would make sense either way.

i had a soldier ripped apart into a cloud of blood and gore, then i blew the resulting walking corpse up with an alenium grenade and proceeded to make swiss cheese out of the newly born reaper with heavy machineguns and laser rifles, yet somehow that pile of shattered bones and organs was still alive at the end of the mission... :confused:

If I see the bleeding icon I use the medkit and it stops the bleeding and draining of health points. Also if they get hit and are not bleeding but their health points are way down I heal them so they can continue the mission without getting killed with another shot. I know a lot of people play and if their soldier gets hit they just go on but I have been playing a while now and I still have almost all the soldiers from my original team and their points are extremely high in every category and they are a great team to send in on difficult missions since all their points are so high. Even psionics on them hardly effect them unless they are hit two or three times in a row.

A soldier zombified by a Reaper will never survive the mission.

thats what i assumed too, but my soldier being alive and kicking at the end of the mission is not something i dreamed about. i checked it twice after the mission, reloaded the savegame, but he is still part of my team. got a crimson heart for it ^^.

maybe a bug?

on a side note, are zombies supposed to spawn reapers even when they get killed in the same turn? i only played the firaxis xcom and nearly got screwed by that...

thats what i assumed too, but my soldier being alive and kicking at the end of the mission is not something i dreamed about. i checked it twice after the mission, reloaded the savegame, but he is still part of my team. got a crimson heart for it ^^.

maybe a bug?

on a side note, are zombies supposed to spawn reapers even when they get killed in the same turn? i only played the firaxis xcom and nearly got screwed by that...

When I first encountered the reapers and one of my soldiers got zombified I hit him with a rocket because I didn't know what he was and that didn't kill him just released the reaper inside him. I didn't know anything about reapers at the time and it freaked me out!

maybe a bug?

Wait...THAT bug is still kicking around?!