Hunter Turret Variant Possibilities

Okay, my first post on this topic got corrupted.

Known turrets:

- Machine Gun

- Rocket

- Scatter Laser

Plausible turrets:

- Plasma

- Rail Gun

I think it would a really cool addition to have a stun gas / stun grenade / stun bomb / thermal shock bomb (whatever you want to call them this time around) launcher turret. It would come in handy when you need to stun aliens, especially ones that unwisely grouped together on a terror mission. It makes realistic sense, given that riot control vehicles (read: armored vehicles like the Hunter) have tear gas launchers.

For balance issues, you could make it only have 6-8 shots.

Do you mean as a grenade launcher or as a rocket launcher? I think Chris has stated he doesn't want grenade launchers in the game for soldiers or vehicles.. (not 100% on that)

Would be fun if it had a stun detonation (read: nova like ability) rather then a launcher. That would make your vehicle into a melee car! :P

I'll throw this thought out there too.

Nerve Gas Missile Turret

If the game does include viral/biological weaponry (ala Toxigun from "X-Com: Apocalypse" with Toxins A, B, C), then it would be awesome to have a "nerve gas missile" (just as they did for the rocket launcher and mini-launcher in "X-Com: Apocalypse"). It would be a sweet turret to have on the Hunter that wouldn't do any damage to civilians, soldiers, or property.

I think Chris has stated he doesn't want grenade launchers in the game for soldiers or vehicles..

I know it's too late now but I always wanted grenade launchers as an intermediate in firepower/ammo capacity between rifles and rockets, not as indirect fire weapons, which was always the main reason Chris didn't want them in.

That said though, having machine guns on the turret is already miles above what the tanks in X-Com were capable of - not a single old tank had autofire! What the heck, most of your targets were infantry! I couldn't stand the old HWPs low rate of fire.

To green of course because as well know in every game poison = green haha

I like the way you think.

Now we just have to change the color of the smoke squares they'd leave behind on detonation to light green or purple (because that's the color of chemical weapons).

In all seriousness, it's not a bad idea.

Is the Hunter planned to be able to use multiple rocket types, or just always the HE rockets?

I know there was some mention of more advanced rocket types becoming available later; was wondering if the vehicle mount rocket launcher would have access to them.

Nope, just the basic rockets I'm afraid. For the smoke recolouring, once we add the gas grenade functionality it'll be easy enough to add various types of gas explosions to all kinds of weapons so modding in poison / stun rockets to the Ferret would not be difficult.

You could always add it to the mod support section?

Ask for Chris to try and get a way added to allow multiple ammo types for vehicles, even if he doesn't choose to use it in the release version.

As long as there is a way to select what ammo is fired on the ground then the decision on what load out to take could be just picking a different turret.

For example the Ferret could have:

Machine Gun - 50x Normal

Machine Gun - 40x Normal, 10x Tracer (incendiary bullets)

Rocket Launcher - 6x Hi Ex

Rocket launcher - 4x Hi Ex, 2x Stun

Rocket launcher - 2x Hi Ex, 4x Stun

Rocket launcher - 6x Stun

Scatter Laser - 50x Charges

*edit* Might be able to use the grenade shortcut key to fire a second ammo type?

Aside from stun gas, frankly, I don't see the point of adding vehicle turret types. Since vehicles don't gain experience, everything they kill is a missed opportunity to level your soldiers. So the only thing I ever really use them for is scouting and obstacle clearing. (Late game in the original version I also used them as Get Out Of Jail Free cards for when my entire squad of soldiers had be killed, controlled or paniced!).

I've even moved away from rocket launchers for obstacle clearing, as the machine gun punches holes in just about everything I've found, and they have less chance of depriving my soldiers of a kill by accidentally offing hidden aliens.

Variation and fun would probably be the main reasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris has a bunch of special weaponry lined up for the higher tech vehicles in any case.

If that is so then it would be a pretty easy mod to swap weapons between vehicles.

Artwork is another matter of course ;)