Noob question: air battles w/ more than 1 fighter

So I know you can have more than one aircraft engage a UFO at the same time. But unless I'm blind and it's staring me in the face, I can't see a way of coordinating this when one fighter engages the UFO first. How is this done?

Also, with real time dog fights, the manual tells you the controls but doesn't offer any real basic strategy or how to go about engaging a UFO. I've done it I think twice (usually hitting auto resolve), and the first time I did it the smallest UFO in the game shot my fighter down. So I've been hesitant since.

But from what I've read you stand a real advantage by mastering this. Anyone have some basic do's and don'ts to get me started?

Cheers guys.

Thanks for that Kordanor!

The squad tip you gave me works like a charm of course. That video is very thorough, though it seems to not show one interceptor against one small UFO. I wonder if that is because there is no real way to bait it into a position to hit it from the side.

Maybe I'll stick to autoresolve for one interceptor, and then try air combat when running two interceptors in a squad.

Cheers.