FOX Armour

Kamchatka

Currently a work in progress, with the gracious permission of Jsleezy to use his amazing Real Armors Mod as a starting point.

I'm attempting to create a secondary armour that arrives around the same time as Wolf but is lighter and gears more towards stealth and infiltration, hence the Fox title. All feedback welcome as its very much an early rough draft at the moment.

RoughFox2.jpg

In terms of the animation sprites I was planning on using Wolf as a base but running a batch edit to simply recolour the light grey to the sandy colour. I would love to be able to add more detail but a quick check of the figures reveals Wolf to alone to have 3817 files, some of which contain up to 52 models per file.. so if anyone has any ideas on how it could be done I'm all ears (I'm assuming there's no way to edit the 3d model itself).

Edited by Kamchatka

Nice, mate - with CE we will certainly need more armors in the game. I figure at least two sets of it would be handy, one providing early bonus against psi attacks and one high tier late game offering significant boost against mind control to counter Praetors. Thus I applaud the effort!

(I'm assuming there's no way to edit the 3d model itself).

This would definitly be the best way. Nowever, Goldhawk would have to provide the model so it could be altered and rendered a new. Considering the modding approach with the "open" sourcecode, i wouldnt rule it out, and it would make things a lot easier. Im assuing the stock armours are 3d modelled, textured and rendered thereafter via a script in the coresponding perspectives.

This would definitly be the best way. Nowever, Goldhawk would have to provide the model so it could be altered and rendered a new. Considering the modding approach with the "open" sourcecode, i wouldnt rule it out, and it would make things a lot easier. Im assuing the stock armours are 3d modelled, textured and rendered thereafter via a script in the coresponding perspectives.

Yes, this would pretty much be essential for extensive graphical armour mods to become a thing, and new weapon mods also for that matter. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Im interested in this. Please post sprite sheets when/if you have them ready for comparioson with the stock images. ty !

Slight delay. Seems I've been foiled tonight as Photoshop CS5 cannot properly open PNG-8 files with indexed transparencies without losing the alpha (the images get a blocky black outline).. which applies here as the spirte sheets are saved in this very way. There is a workaround which involves opening it with a different program and resaving the file .. but I don't think I could be bothered to do that 3.5k times.

The proper solution seems to be upgrading to CS6 where Adobe have finally gotten round to fixing it. So I'll have to do that then.

Also I think I may have to rethink the colouring of the armour. Maybe changing the green to a navy blue or even black/grey. The problem is that changing the white to tan doesn't give it enough difference to stand out.

Edited by Kamchatka

Looking good my friend! The only two things that look a little off to me is the orange visor and the new boot thingies you added to the last photo. I would take out the visor completely and get rid of the boot pads. Otherwise good job!

maybe a black...or dark blue visor...true ninjas/commandos doesnt have or at least show their face ;),and yes that greave on the boots looks pretty cool but you said this is a lighter version of wolf armour..so that plates arent so funtional.

(maybe you could add those into your "standar" wolf armor jsleezy...i think it fits well on that heavier version :o )

Edited by blackwolf

Kamchatka - you may find that saving them as non-indexed 8-bit PNGs works. Just save them as standard PNGs and they'll be larger but they should still work.

Photoshop loads the file with the broken alpha unfortunately, so it converts it to black at that point. If I save it afterwards in any format it will keep the black.