[V1.09]Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000

Skitso

Hello Skitso,

is this a generic issue, or does it have to do only with the specific maps?

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11297-1-07HF-Farm-watering-hose-offers-no-cover

Don't know if that map is yours, but if it is not, just ignore my message..

Keep the good work!

That is not a bug. Your unit is adjacent to cover so it's disregarded when shooting. It looks a bit silly as the game doesn't have leaning animations, but it's working as it should. Not my map BTW, it's vanilla with just a bit touching up with my forest tiles.

Skitso. I belive this is your map. I have a question could you remove the props from either side of the UFO? I can't access to blowy stuff while using FitH.

You could easily enough destroy the props in the way. They shouldn't be that durable.

In principle, I'd put invisible ground tiles around the UFO to overwrite things like that. However, with the Corvette and Scout (where this is most likely to come up) the hull sections are right up against the side of the submap so I can't.

(One day, though, we'll have modular UFOs, and it won't matter any more.)

Nah, I don't think I have time or enthusiasm to fix all the maps to be FitH compatible. Pretty minor issue and... you know, if ufo has crash landed like that, tough luck. :)

For the champ like you it would be less than 5 minutes. You make me sad :(

Less than 5 minutes? Yeah, no. Champs just make things look easy. ;) It actually takes surprising amount of time to check every map, every spawn point for all the ufo types and make sure each prop around them are placed in a way it matches with FitH ufo breach entrances. No thanks. :)

Edited by Skitso

I had a weird bug yesterday (or maybe not bug at all) as I played with your maps. I started new game, and the first 3 missions had the same map with different submaps. I had vanilla game with only your maps. After reinstalling it seems everything is fine, hopefully. Any idea what it was? Because now I am always afraid this bug will come back.

Yeah, they are randomly generated so from time to time there can be situations where the RNG gods are against shield bearers and vehicles. So that's a bit unfortunate but not much I can do about it, other than make them not random. (which I wouldn't like to do)

What's peoples opinion on this? Should I reduce/remove randomness so vehicles mobility is guaranteed around highway and forest maps?

Edited by Skitso

Personally, I prefer there to be at least a single way of having vehicles access at least most parts of the map, because vehicles already come with plenty of other reasons not to use them. However, so long as it's possible to create a path by destroying props (and that you're not having to do this every turn) I guess it's not too bad.

Actually, I wouldn't mind it at all if it was easy to tell if it would be a problem (for example, if these issues were linked only to explicit forest/map terrain types) since you'd know in advance and could choose not to take a vehicle. But getting randomly screwed out of using potentially 1/4 of your fighting force doesn't seem great to me (destroying props notwithstanding).

(Also, what have shields got to do with this?)