Modular UFOs - Discussion and Suggestions

kabill

EDIT: No, premature again.

The problem is slightly fixed. It just happens one level higher than it was before. On the other hand, it's possibly fixed the worst of the issue (i.e. you can't see between floors when you're inside the UFO) but it's still too broken to be worth doing at the moment.

Edited by kabill

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, that was the plan a while ago I think. Not actually sure whether anything is likely to happen with this now, though. I'm personally lacking the time and enthusiasm to do anything with it at the moment and I suspect the boat might already have sailed with regards to official support for this given how long it's been since the idea was mooted.

kabill.. i got about an idea to create special alien teams (assasins, saboteurs and new xenomorph aliens..) and give them special versions of ufos.. same model, different color, different interrior..

i can code and recolor at photoshop i hope but i need special interriors from you.. need scouts, corvette and cruiser.. can u help me please?

• 2 months later...

Probably has been mentioned already - I'm too lazy to read all of this - but I bring this up in case it hasn't. The modular build also makes it much easier to start with shot down UFOs that have varying degrees of damage like the original game. In this game currently you have either intact craft or shot down craft with some cosmetic action figurey external damage. I would like to see the UFOs more damaged or maybe even destroyed outright if shot down with too much overkill. Of course it would probably be possible to make UFO variants with gaping holes in them even without modular construction, but I imagine it makes it much less work.

Probably has been mentioned already - I'm too lazy to read all of this - but I bring this up in case it hasn't. The modular build also makes it much easier to start with shot down UFOs that have varying degrees of damage like the original game. In this game currently you have either intact craft or shot down craft with some cosmetic action figurey external damage. I would like to see the UFOs more damaged or maybe even destroyed outright if shot down with too much overkill. Of course it would probably be possible to make UFO variants with gaping holes in them even without modular construction, but I imagine it makes it much less work.

Have you seen my Enhanced Crash Site mod? Or indeed Fire in the Hole. While you're right that it would be easier if UFOs were fully modular, both of those mods do more or less what you're suggesting (within the constraints of the existing system, anyway).

Is there any new development with those maps? Did anyone try them out or even use them for a mod?

I've not really been doing much Xenonauts stuff recently and never had a proper look at them (other than to check their feasibility with the re-written LoS code). If I ever manage to get back into modding again proper I might take a look. But probably not a good idea to make promises.

I've not really been doing much Xenonauts stuff recently and never had a proper look at them (other than to check their feasibility with the re-written LoS code). If I ever manage to get back into modding again proper I might take a look. But probably not a good idea to make promises.

What is left to do with them? Perhaps somebody else could test them and provide some finishing touches?

What is left to do with them? Perhaps somebody else could test them and provide some finishing touches?

I think it was mainly testing (and probably tidying). Although there's some issues that are harder to resolve (especially painting over the hull tiles and producing external door tiles; I suspect Chris's earlier offer is unlikely to stand at this point).

I think it was mainly testing (and probably tidying). Although there's some issues that are harder to resolve (especially painting over the hull tiles and producing external door tiles; I suspect Chris's earlier offer is unlikely to stand at this point).

I'm personally willing to live with the polishing issues as long as they are actually playable now. But I am so much outside Xenonauts right now that I will take forever just to adapt to the new versions if I even get that time, no chance I could edit them again regardless of my desire. But I'd certainly try and check them out if anyone puts them in a mod or something I could just run.