[v1.07] Xtended Backgrounds Mod (v0.7)

Ogaburan

There are vast deference between the distribution of men and women from different countries.

With Nato and the West being more sexist (with the tiny buff towards Scandinavians), while the communist countries are more egalitarian. African and Muslim countries would not produce female soldiers.

I also gave in and put the female % at 20.

India - Hinduism

Thailand - Buddhism

Philippines - Catholic

I corrected some East Asian elements... :

soldiernames

Chinese - Reversed name order was fixed. "Last" "First" -> "First" "Last". Replaced all last names. I tried to recognize what first name is for female. tried... :confused:

North/South Korean - "Last" "First" -> "First" "Last". Removed female names. Replaced all last names.

Japanese(vanilla) - Removed incorrect/female names.

soldiernamesfemale

Chinese - "Female First" "Male First" :P -> "First" "Last". The rest is the same as above

North/South Korean - "Female First" "Male First" -> "First" "Last". SAA

Japanese(vanilla) - Removed incorrect names. added common names.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij6qgghwmggq1ez/names.rar

and suggest this... :

regiment.NthKorea1 - Special Operation Forces -> Special 8th Corps (Special warfare command of North Korea at 1974)

regiment.SthKorea1 - Special Warfare Flotilla -> Coastal Forces (Navy / Coastal Force / Underwater Demolition Team. UDT was renamed UDT/SEAL after 1975. SWF was organized in 2007)

experience.nkorea1 - none -> South Korea (Guerrilla warfare. :eek:)

And as we are speaking of Asian countries...

Gurkhas:

Royal Gurkha Rifles were formed in 1994. Prior to that there were 4 UK aligned Gurkha regiments. For Xenonauts I would chose the:

10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles (cool name, isn't it?) Fortunately, they are abbreviated to 10 GR.

I picked this one cos I think they had the most experience shortly prior to 1979

Battle experience: Brunei, Cyprus

Also, since most Gurkha regiments stayed with the Indian Army (after India gained independance). It would also be nice to add an Indian-based Gurkha regiment

e.g. 5 Gorkha Rifles (abbreviated to 5 GR (boooring) but also called Frontier Force)

battle experience: Pakistan

-----------------------------------

experience.nkorea1 - none -> South Korea (Guerrilla warfare.)

I thought guerrilla warfare died out shortly after armistice was signed?

Im no an expert on East Asian conflicts...but are you refering to the Blue House Raid? (cos it's difficult to have experienced soldiers from an opperation where all the participating soldiers died :P).

Edit: oh ok I've found out that NK commandos landed in SK in 1968 to establish a standpoint for guerilla operations..out of the initial 120-130 some 13 escaped back to NK alive. Well we might have on of them amongts the Xenonauts, true enough.

-----------------------------------

I would also change the name of one polish regiment

- 4101st Paratroop Battalion --> 1st Assault Battalion (1 Batalion Szturmowy) - the official name of the unit in 1979.

Workers' Rebelion ---> Czechoslovakia

Reason:

The regiments did not participate in suppressing the Workers Rebelion (at least as far as I know). Logicaly: you wouldn't send special units for crowd control operations.

However, some elite regiments were involved in taking over military compounds whilst invading Czechoslovakia in 1968 (6th Pom. Air Assault Div; 1st Assault Battalion).

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

India - Hinduism

Thailand - Buddhism

Philippines - Catholic

On this I admit, I just got too lazy to search for Thai female names.

Seems like you are well versed in proper Asian names, if you are willing to find some, I will add.

But im reluctant to add female conscripts to The Philipinese because they were extremely religious and sexist in the 70's.

As for India, I know (after reading Wikipedia) the female right's momentum only started getting momentum in the 70's.

India - Hinduism

I corrected some East Asian elements... :

soldiernames

Chinese - Reversed name order was fixed. "Last" "First" -> "First" "Last". Replaced all last names. I tried to recognize what first name is for female. tried... :confused:

North/South Korean - "Last" "First" -> "First" "Last". Removed female names. Replaced all last names.

Japanese(vanilla) - Removed incorrect/female names.

soldiernamesfemale

Chinese - "Female First" "Male First" :P -> "First" "Last". The rest is the same as above

North/South Korean - "Female First" "Male First" -> "First" "Last". SAA

Japanese(vanilla) - Removed incorrect names. added common names.

Thank you so much for this, I think both me and Pinetree were just relaying on copy pasting names form sites for Asian countries. :(

and suggest this... :

regiment.NthKorea1 - Special Operation Forces -> Special 8th Corps (Special warfare command of North Korea at 1974)

regiment.SthKorea1 - Special Warfare Flotilla -> Coastal Forces (Navy / Coastal Force / Underwater Demolition Team. UDT was renamed UDT/SEAL after 1975. SWF was organized in 2007)

experience.nkorea1 - none -> South Korea (Guerrilla warfare. :eek:)

Added, except for the guerrilla warfare... as I dont think its something people put in their CV.

Also, since most Gurkha regiments stayed with the Indian Army (after India gained independance). It would also be nice to add an Indian-based Gurkha regiment

e.g. 5 Gorkha Rifles (abbreviated to 5 GR (boooring) but also called Frontier Force)

battle experience: Pakistan

I am well aware of this...

It is something im thinking of adding, although I fear this will make them somewhat too frequent...

I would also change the name of one polish regiment

- 4101st Paratroop Battalion --> 1st Assault Battalion (1 Batalion Szturmowy) - the official name of the unit in 1979.

Changed to "1 Batalion Szturmowy"

Reason:

The regiments did not participate in suppressing the Workers Rebelion (at least as far as I know). Logicaly: you wouldn't send special units for crowd control operations.

However, some elite regiments were involved in taking over military compounds whilst invading Czechoslovakia in 1968 (6th Pom. Air Assault Div; 1st Assault Battalion).

Not sure what you want to be change because of this...?

All in all thank you so much for the feedback, been getting some in PM's as well!

And next version will be allot better!

It refers to Polish battle experience (Worker Rebelion refers to suppressing a strike by police and regular military forces in Gdansk (Poland)...no elite units involved). The Warsaw Pact Invasion of Czechoslovakia, on the other hand, was one of the biggest military operations in post war Europe and did involve Polish elite troops.

-----

Gurhkas -yeah, but the main point was about the RGR (currently set as the only gurkha regiment) which wasn't in existence in 1979 ^^

---

Thanks for keeping up the good work

v0.5 is out.

Changelog:

- Fixed extra spaces after first names and last names

- Removed around 997 duplicate name/last name entrees for males

- Removed around 125 duplicate female names/last names

- Sorted & Added many names

- Removed weird Mexican names

- Fixed Icelander Female names (were the same as Spanish)

- Fixed most Asian names

- Added Korean Regiments

- Polish regiment name changed

- Changed Gurkha Regiment

Also the credits list has been expanded.

Thanks for all the feedback/advice/help to all who bothered commenting and/or PMing.

While I was restarting the game for another time in search of a good crew, I ran in some preloaded, I think, character. He had his nation as ####. He had his unit as royal marines, so I suppose it was previously british. I didn't bother saving or doing screenshot, though.

Edited by Bulk

Rule, Britannia!

You cannot just remove the Brits like that. Those tea-lovers will appear in your barracks whether you want them or not.

There are many Brits in the kickstarter pool (I presume) and there's also a guy called Chris England ^^. They are all hardcoded so they will appear as British...or in this case they will be proud represtantives of #####.

Ok, so now the solution:

To remove the Brtis add a value in strings: the first table should read: British and the second English...

this will refer all hardcoded British values to be called English in games. This will fix the issue of kickstarter soldiers and btw it will fix save-game compatibility.

Edit:

Oh, and obviously keep the English / English value as well. You need both.

--------------------------------------

Hmm, I was going through the files, one more thing seems awry

remember you can have many strings leading to the same result

But you can't have one string leading to different results (cos they won't show up). So in practice you can make:

British ---> English

English ---> English

Tea.Lover ---> English

But you can't have

regiment.japan1 ---> 1st Airborn

regiment.japan1 ---> 4th Divison

The game will always use the first value (or maybe the second. IDK. But always just one of these). You have some duplicate strings leading to different results in many countries. Some of them are new duplicates. Some of them are duplicates from vanilla (yes..vanilla has duplicates for a loooooong time now...I think it's from the time that Chris incorporated one of Pinetree's first versions of Extended mod into the vanilla game....but they never removed the old values :D)

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

Reason:

And does taking over military compounds from units that were given orders not to resist count as combat experience? It might have been an invasion, but AFAIK all the casualities were civilian.

v0.7 is out, here is the changelog:

- British preordered soldiers will now show as English and not ####

- More regiments and experience for English Women

- Deleted some Russian odd names

- No more Welsh Women in the Scots Division

- The following agencies added (all share the "classified" experience):

* England, Scotland, Wales - MI6, MI5 (Both Male & Female)

* Romanian Securitate (Both Male & Female)

* Israeli Mossad (Both Male & Female)

* US CIA, FBI (Both Male & Female)

* Russian KGB (Both Male & Female)

I have two soldiers in my team, both Australian. One's experience is listed as Special Air Service Regt., and the other's is listed as SAS. Is this a bug?

One of them is just more refined :rolleyes:

but technically speaking:

- That's probably cos you got a predefined soldier (Kelvin Mui perhaps?)-kickstarter backers - their regiments are hardcoded so they can't be changed. (yes, their regiment-info is not stored in strings.xml)

Edit:

Even funnier: Those hardcoded regiment-names aren't even consistent: so you also have a chance to find an Australian who is hardcoded as: SASR...so you can encounter 3 different names for the same unit.

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

I'm away from my pc at the moment but You'll probably find it's also due to there being 2 instances of the regiment name being in strings.xml.

When Goldhawk incorporated an earlier version of my mod into the game, all they did was append them to the end of the file and not delete the old ones. My guess is when ogaburan updated strings.xml he probably overwrote the original regiments and left the appended ones in.

This mod is incompatible with the Economy Restored mod. =( Using this mod's version of strings.xml makes all the ballistic weapons in the manufacturing menu "#####." Using Economy Restored's strings.xml makes a very high frequency of the soldier profiles have items like "|||||" or "regiment.mossad" or "regiment.[whatever]"

=(((( Any way someone could merge the .xmls for me, or show me how to do so myself?

My guess is when ogaburan updated strings.xml he probably overwrote the original regiments and left the appended ones in.

Not in this case though. True, there are still some appended duplicates in strings (I've been bugging Ogaburan about it since I started using Xtended ^^). But not in the case of Australia, the only regiments in strings.xml code are:

- Special Air Service Regt

- Royal Australian Regiment

It makes me chuckle that predefined soldiers

- use strings for nationalities

- but have hardcoded regiments (and quite a lot of them...I've tested on 1200 soldiers in game (didn't crash ^^)..and there are some regiments that I've never heard of before.)

Edited by Theon Greyjoy