(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

@FaterW

You are talking about AdvancedSniperLaser tech, which is required for the HLDread. That's a powerful weapon for sure, but needs totally different things and I already had that too, without reaching the advanced laser techs.

By the way, it actually should require AdvancedLasers which I'm talking about It's currently needed primarily for Scatterlaser, aircraft and vehichle and base defense laser weapons and the Scmitar tank, and also for PlasmaWeaponry. It's an important step in weaponry and it currently needs an uncommon and not really related incendary vortex rifle

Only way you could get it before researching AdvancedLasers is if you captured Delta viper alive :)

Because before you get to that research project you need:

Advanced Laser Pistol project researched and Advanced Laser Pistol research requires Advanced Lasers

---------------------------------------------------------

HLParango:Researches.AdvancedPistol(AND)Researches.AdvancedLasers(AND)Researches.AdvancedHP

HLDread:Researches.AdvancedLaserPistol(AND)Researches.AlienSniperPlasma(OR)Items.Delta(AND)Researches.LaserWeaponry

Edited by Sentelin

I have experienced quite the opposite with the Electroshock Grenade and sometimes I think it's kind of OP.

It usually does like 100-250 stun damage so most of the time 1 or at most 2 of them can stun any living thing and has a great explosion radius to hit multiple enemies at once. Hell 2 of them puts even a Delta to sleep every time for me.

And about the guessing thing, if you would be fighting aliens in 1980, I think you would do a lot of guessing :D But jokes aside, they just told us that they are working on hints and xenopedia entries for 5.3.

interesting, most stun damage I seen was 40, and since I had replaced all my gas with them,. I had a lot of them to use, and used up all of them

Only way you could get it before researching AdvancedLasers is if you captured Delta viper alive

Well of course you are right, it needs the pistol wich needs the advanced laser tech, but actually I have captured a Delta :D

I see now how you made a direct connection between powerful techs and your new alien species, it just don't feel really logical to me, neither the Omega-Warhawk2 nor this Delta-HLDread pairing. I think it's a really good risk-reward concept but the research made is not really in connection with the tech received for it.

Getting constant crashes to desktop when trying to play attached save.

My first Battleship mission.

The crashes occur when I attempt to port up to the top level, when the game needs to show one of the aliens - very consistent.

Less consistent - if you next-turn a few times eventually an alien will port down to throw a grenade, and the game will crash on one of it's animations.

Playing on i5, Win7, 8800 GTS (old backup, running slightly underclocked).

I thought it may be due to my GPU, but the consistency of the bug when revealing an area is indicative of something game related.

____

I also had an issue with this level loading - it showed up all-white, broken textures. This disappeared after restart and the mission was fine from then on, until the above. Not sure if related.

Can someone check the save so I know if it's the game or my system?

p.s. Electroshock Grenade > all other weapons, except vs. androids, for the simple reason of Psy Control/Berserk. Pretty miffed that I didn't just load up 10 grenades each soldier for that mission. :P

XXX.sav

XXX.sav

XXX.sav

Edited by Tenet

Before I try this save I need you to answer one simply question.Did you set "DisableMoveAnimations" from "0" to "1" ?In case you did turn on DisableMoveAnimation disable it again because that's thing that cause crash for intel CPU users.

In the mean time while you are answering this I will check out save

@Tenet

I just completed (lost GC) without crash.So do what TD says because you probably didn't apply last hotfix.

Off the topic:

Retreat your soldiers there is no way you can win this fight.You are just going to lose all your elite soldiers.There is Omega and Delta aboard battleship with 2 Ceasan Elites.

Edited by Sentelin

- I didn't meddle with anything except install the map add ons as per instructions. So the move animations are not disabled.

- Downloading the V5.22, noticed I already had that file from 6-30-2014... might already have that hotfix installed.

Off topic and possibly spoiler:

1. To attempt a Battleship like this in the future - I assume I'll need the top tier armor and grenade spam or possibly MAG (currently researching). I assume they will keep showing up, so I can just nuke the first few?

2. Are workshops self sustaining with certain products? I have a 60-engineer production base making shotguns, each engineer producing 3.75 Thunderbolt Shotguns every 30 days, at 2000 profit each. Total gross for the base is 450K, while maintaining the base costs 442K before defense.

The only thing I get is really the ready manufacturing power whenever I need to roll out new tech.

This is something that I'm looking to mod to turn more profitable, at least to the point where it sustains the maintenance costs of one fighter squadron. I don't like to grind missions on repeat and air strikes bring only ~10% of the resources.

I'll let you know how it works out.

For some reason, I can't start a mission with my men in a valkerie, the game simply crashes during load and throws a buffer overflow. Not sure if this is a vanilla bug or caused by NXT, but it can't hurt to report it here as well, right? ;)

EDIT: savegame added

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285744/Valkerie%20gamecrash.sav

Or else here. Hint "premium download" means "free download"

http://bayfiles.net/file/1herE/keQm4u/Valkerie_gamecrash.sav

Edited by alcari

@Tenet,

Download and apply the HotFix 5.22 again, that will fix the problem with Alien Battle Rifle.

About your other questions:

Economy in the game is supported by multiple vectors or sources, try not only to manufacture:

- Coyote Armor manufacturing cover lot of the maintenance of the bases, letting you gain as profit the Wold funding and Cash in GC.

- Try to dissemble recovered UFOs, if you check you store room you will find multiple UFO datacores, that mean that you can dissemble for lot money the recovered UFOs.

- Rise up world funding.

If you accomplish all this things you will have a nice profit to sustain future combat.

About Battleships, you need to be aware that they are really hard combat. You will find monsters, elite soldiers and lot of stuff, you need the Tier 3 equipment to deal with.

For some reason, I can't start a mission with my men in a valkerie, the game simply crashes during load and throws a buffer overflow. Not sure if this is a vanilla bug or caused by NXT, but it can't hurt to report it here as well, right? ;)

Can you upload the saved game for this report? :D

Thanks! Valkerie has a lot of problems even in vanilla.

Off the topic:

Retreat your soldiers there is no way you can win this fight.You are just going to lose all your elite soldiers.There is Omega and Delta aboard battleship with 2 Ceasan Elites.

Actually I have cleared the ship fairly easily, only loosing 2 men (the helpless one on the top floor of course and another one to a delta charge). There was another elite on the ground floor and after that I didn't have the patience to clear the outside. By the way who enters an UFO that big without clearing the perimeter, and proceed after that, without completely clearing all floors? That's not safe :D

Cleared easily ? I didn't really try to play in order to win but to test and see why he has CTD.But come on how did you get rid off Omega/Delta (they were lurking somewhere in ship) and two Elites that were at the top floor ?When 50% of his troops suffered from psionic attacks and were carrying plasma bombs and advanced med kit......Oh yeah I forgot about plasma bombs ..

Edited by Sentelin

Cleared easy ? I didn't really try to play in order to win but to test and see why he has CTD.But come on how did you get rid off Omega/Delta (they were lurking somewhere in ship) and two Elites that were at the top floor ?When 50% of his troops suffered from psionic attacks and were carrying plasma bombs and advanced med kit......Oh yeah I forgot about plasma bombs ..

Almost only with the electroshock grenades, I told you it's OP :D I backed off everybody, then 2 grenades stunned the 2 elites. After that I regrouped a bit, healed up. Next turn Delta came down, got some reaction fire and killed 1 man, then it died to a plasma shotgun. After that the praetor needed 2 grenades and the Omega like 4-5 to get stunned, that's pretty much it. Oh, and in the meantime a wraith teleported to me from the behind... But he died too, but provided a bit of distraction.

I'm not crazy, it's a legitimate tactic. Actually all my troops have weapons - you didn't see them because they were packed away in case of berserk/AC.

Thanks for testing the save - much appreciated!

Actually I have cleared the ship fairly easily, only loosing 2 men (the helpless one on the top floor of course and another one to a delta charge). There was another elite on the ground floor and after that I didn't have the patience to clear the outside. By the way who enters an UFO that big without clearing the perimeter, and proceed after that, without completely clearing all floors? That's not safe :D

Amazing job! I agree, Electroshock is very effective. Wish I packed more.

The answer is quite simple - I do everything to minimize psy impact on the mission.

I switched strategies mid-way because the psy attacks prevented me from operating effectively on an open map. Sent a suicide scout inside the ship to test defenses, who lived. Defenses were sub par, up to that top chamber. The save is a group up for a grenade hit and run.

Worst case scenario in my tactic is if the guys blocking the teleporter get alien-controlled.

It's much easier to use rush tactics inside a ship with teleporters, and it's much easier to bait and use reaction fire in the open areas outside - but reaction fire requires keeping weapons drawn during the alien turn... not safe.

Edited by Tenet

I do the entire mission without CTD. Apply the last hotfix 5.22 in main topic to check the integrity of the files.

Interesting... i'll try a full reinstall, because it keeps crashing even after reapplying the hotfix.

EDIT: Full reinstall of xenonauts and the mod seems to have helped. Thanks for the fast reaction.

Edited by alcari

Well we are going to nerf this grenades because they were never meant to be used in this way ... God !! First vortex guns now this ..

I agree that their stun effect should be nerfed, and maybe they could do more real damage to droids. And if it's possible to introduce an electroshock rocket, that may stun like the grenades now. That would be much harder to deliver precisely and riskier to use, but it would have the right effect in exchange.

I agree that their stun effect should be nerfed, and maybe they could do more real damage to droids. And if it's possible to introduce an electroshock rocket, that may stun like the grenades now. That would be much harder to deliver precisely and riskier to use, but it would have the right effect in exchange.

Now here is an interesting idea !

Hey, guys. Great mod, can't wait to see next version.

I have one question: air striking crash site gives much less cash than securing UFO, have you considered increasing air strike reward? Right now I feel forced to do every single crash site to get cash. I have strike team in every base because of that reason. So when I set up 3 or 4 bases game starts to have bit too much grind. It's just my subjective opinion. Maybe I'm not supposed to secure every single ufo?

Anyway you did huge amount of great work here :)

Thanks

Edited by Birkow