(New version) XNT Into Darkness V5.2 - "PlatinumDragon" (DISCUSSION TREAD)

Sentelin

Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Technology tree guide or Xenopedia hints for unlocking research projects

Purpose of this thread is to keep main thread clean so that people don't get confused.Any discussion,suggestion,ideas or balance of current version and updates are going to be kept in this thread from this point on.

Note:Link to the main tread is MAIN THREAD

NEWS NO.47

New Hotfix patch is available for download here Link

*For more information about changes read description and change log that can found in main thread (follow link above)

*Hotfix patch will not break your saves however if you have ground mission in progress,you should finish first that mission before applying this hotfix

*Screenshots/videos added in main thread and optional music pack is available for download again

NEWS NO.48

Improved weapon sounds for v5.22 can be downloaded here Link

NEWS NO.49

Added sub mod (add-on) section in main thread Link

Edited by Sentelin

I have minor suggestions for future consideration:

- Ability to name squads instead of only aircraft

- Ability to give call signs to each soldier

- Camoflauge patterns independent of armor type

- Campaign or battle stars and/or streamers in addition to medals

- Drones. Man-pack tracked or aerial drones for recon

- Crew served weapons. HMG, recoilless rifle, and/or mortar with high stopping power but low mobility

- AWAC aircraft. Long flight times and extended radar but no offensive weapons

- Weapon attachments (not sure if it's possible). Increases weight but may increase accuracy or lethality

- Deployable remotely operated weapons

Just talking off the type of my head. I still have alot of exploring to do with the mod, and it's very exciting.

- Ability to name squads instead of only aircraft

You mean something like ability to form group and name it for example "Spec Ops" ?

Interesting idea I will ask Solver to see if he can do something like this. (apparently I misunderstood what you meant by this)

- Camoflauge patterns independent of armor type

This is huge amount of work and not very friendly with current engine,not to mention that when we included Coyote armor size of mod increased for 150 mb so you can imagine that size of mod will go sky high If we do this (we may do this but it's not our priority now)

- Campaign or battle stars and/or streamers in addition to medals

Not bad idea

- Drones. Man-pack tracked or aerial drones for recon

This has been requested and disscused few days back in this sub-forum and it's not possible right now because engine doesn't allow it (Max_Caine and Gaud explained in this tread).

Heh seems that TD found way around (however it's very tiny drone :P )

Crew served weapons. HMG, recoilless rifle, and/or mortar with high stopping power but low mobility

For now we have added enough weapons but this may be an option in future.

- AWAC aircraft. Long flight times and extended radar but no offensive weapons

Apollo is aircraft that partly fulfill this roll (has long radar range) and can be used as support craft.

Weapon attachments (not sure if it's possible). Increases weight but may increase accuracy or lethality

We discussed this but currently it's not possible (again it's thing that requires source code and I don't have access to it)

Deployable remotely operated weapons

Same as above.

Edited by Sentelin

Hello Player of XNT Into Darkness

"XNT V5.2 Is a great step in modding development"

We'r glad to present this clean, complete and very balanced version of XNT.

We put LOT of effort making the mod BETTER, WONDERFULL and COMPLETE.

Thanks for all you suggestions

I have minor suggestions for future consideration

Thanks for posting American Pride! I will answer some of your suggestions here.

- Ability to name squads instead of only aircraft POSSIBLE

- Ability to give call signs to each soldier CURRENTLY AVAILABLE

- Camoflauge patterns independent of armor type POSSIBLE

- Campaign or battle stars and/or streamers in addition to medals Can you elaborate?

- Drones. Man-pack tracked or aerial drones for recon POSSIBLE AND INTERESTING

- Crew served weapons. HMG, recoilless rifle, and/or mortar with high stopping power but low mobility POSSIBLE

- AWAC aircraft. Long flight times and extended radar but no offensive weapons We have already a scout aircraft :)

- Weapon attachments (not sure if it's possible). Increases weight but may increase accuracy or lethality QUIET DIFFICULT

- Deployable remotely operated weapons POSSIBLE AND QUIET HARD

Just talking off the type of my head. I still have alot of exploring to do with the mod, and it's very exciting.

:D

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas!

Lot of them are WONDERFULL!

Completely random intrusion here:

Something I thought might be quite interesting as a tactical challenge is aliens with some kind of shield-item (e.g. a power shield or psionic shield). Basically, it would work like the combat shields, but aliens would have them. This would make them much more durable against a frontal attack, but vulnerable to attacks from the flank.

I might look at this myself one day, but it felt like the kind of thing that might fit in this mod somewhere so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Something I thought might be quite interesting as a tactical challenge is aliens with some kind of shield-item (e.g. a power shield or psionic shield). Basically, it would work like the combat shields, but aliens would have them. This would make them much more durable against a frontal attack, but vulnerable to attacks from the flank.

I might look at this myself one day, but it felt like the kind of thing that might fit in this mod somewhere so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hey this actually very good idea :)

Also some form of human psionic powers might make a refreshing change, even if it's hard to balance late game.

Not possible at the moment I think.

Actually in XNT psionics aliens has a shield system, Im working right now in a inertial barrier that deflect missiles. Right now is imperfect but Im working on a stopping chance.

Quiet hard but works well ^^

Maybe that's an old suggestion, but i'll try:

How about making all munitions (except maybe few most basic types) - produced in workshop?

And of cause player will have some of it in stock at the start of the game.

Edited by rgreat

Maybe that's an old suggestion, but i'll try:

How about making all munitions (except maybe few most basic types) - produced in workshop?

And of cause player will have some of it in stock at the start of the game.

I don't think it would contribute to the experience but rather add more unnecessary micromanagement. Unless maybe there is an Ueber-weapon late game.

from version 5.0 (or was it 5.1?) You are able to use 40 characters when renaming your soldiers (though this means very long names will be cut in other menus). Still every one of my soldiers gets a codename.

not to mention that when we include Coyote armor size of mod increased for 150 mb

Lol, you wish. Coyote files are something around 290 MB (sic!). If the percentage of file size was taken into account this mod would have to be called Coyote Armor and some other XNT stuff.

This should be made clear to anyone who wants moddifed soldier animations (even a recolor).

3. Is it possible to upgrade 5.1 -> 5.2, or do i need a clean install?

Clean is prefered. Otherwise there is always a small chance that you will encounter errors

2. When download links will be up? Minutes, Hours, Days? Refresh button is not very fun.

SoonTmI wouldn't count on minutes if I was you

1. Thanks for the good work.

Name your xenonauts after us and post about our horrific deaths in return :o

Btw, are you supposed to be Jintho or Lafiel?

Edited by Theon Greyjoy

I don't think it would contribute to the experience but rather add more unnecessary micromanagement. Unless maybe there is an Ueber-weapon late game.

I don't think micromanagement is bad as long as it is not repetitive.

This game needs more diversity, and workshop is only rarely used.

After all original X-COM have this type of micromanagement.

Sentelin and TacticalDragon,

Thanks for replying to my comments, and for your efforts with this mod. As far as your questions:

- Ability to name squads. I see two parts to this: naming the whole squad (all eight soldiers) and any sub-components of it; i.e. 2-4 soldiers.

- Campaign streamers and/or battle stars. I think medals add more immersion to the game and also have a marginal impact on soldier performance. That's great. Campaign streamers and battle stars indicate participation in a military campaign - so say a named squad successfully completes a terror mission. That could be a battle star given as an award to the whole squad so any future soldier assigned to that squad receives that bonus while assigned. Campaign streamers could be accomplishments for a squad in a given wave - i.e. 2 successful recovery missions in one wave could earn a streamer for the squad. Military organizations don't just celebrate individual accomplishments; they also celebrate unit histories and achievements. Campaign streamers and battle stars could replicate that.

Sentelin and TacticalDragon,

Thanks for replying to my comments, and for your efforts with this mod. As far as your questions:

- Ability to name squads. I see two parts to this: naming the whole squad (all eight soldiers) and any sub-components of it; i.e. 2-4 soldiers.

- Campaign streamers and/or battle stars. I think medals add more immersion to the game and also have a marginal impact on soldier performance. That's great. Campaign streamers and battle stars indicate participation in a military campaign - so say a named squad successfully completes a terror mission. That could be a battle star given as an award to the whole squad so any future soldier assigned to that squad receives that bonus while assigned. Campaign streamers could be accomplishments for a squad in a given wave - i.e. 2 successful recovery missions in one wave could earn a streamer for the squad. Military organizations don't just celebrate individual accomplishments; they also celebrate unit histories and achievements. Campaign streamers and battle stars could replicate that.

1. We cannot do that without access to the source code

2. same as above

It would need changes in the source code to do that.

Edited by Selgald