[v1.5/X:CE] Enhanced Crash Sites (v1.1.3)

kabill

Jungles! I never ever had a mission in jungles!

Although screens above look great I'm afraid that much smoke and fire will obliterate my frame rate :S

There's a patch you can apply to the mod which turns off a lot of the smoke and fire. So you still get the internal crash damage (and possibly a few bits of hand-placed smoke/fire though it might turn them off too) but not the rest. Obviously, it half defeats the purpose, but it's there if you want to use it.

(Indeed, you could try the mod first-off and if it causes issue add the patch.)

Update! Finally, after much wrangling, I have been able to update to X:CE v0.25.

The mod contains only a minor change (the blocked bits at the front of the light scout are removed as per vanilla). However, the mod uses the new X:CE mod loading function which means that it is now compatible with any other mods (which don't modify the UFO submaps) SO LONG AS YOU ARE USING THE LATEST EDITION OF THE COMMUNITY EDITION MOD.

If you are *not* using the latest version of the community edition mod, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE NEW DOWNLOAD AS IT WILL NOT WORK. So you should update to X:CE v0.25+ (or use the old download I've left up).

Please note that I have no intention of maintaining the mod for non-X:CE builds from this point onwards. This is largely a matter of time: it's a hassle to have to update stuff and I don't actually have the time to be doing it frequently. Hopefully, the mod loader will get rolled out into the vanilla build at some point which will make the new update compatible. But to be honest, there's not really any reason not to be using the Community Edition build so I strongly recommend you download it if you haven't already.

• 3 months later...

Update! A new version of the mod has been uploaded and it is now also available via Steam Workshop

Change Log:

- Rendered fully compatible with the modular mod system (I apparently missed this mod when updating stuff a while back)

- Fixed a number of minor issues with props.

• 4 months later...

Honestly, I can't remember. But actually you're probably right - ECS wasn't about making gameplay changes so it's unlikely I added that. Never mind, then.

(To add: I really can't think why those mods would be making a difference. Certainly ECS - if I didn't change the roof tiles then the only things I did were to add the fire and smoke props, to add the power core explosion points, to add ground damage and to swap some of the props out for damaged ones. Not sure why any of those things would be causing issues with the camera. The only other thing I can think of is that there's been an update to the UFO submaps in XCE but I'm not sure there has been anything maybe other than a few minor LoS bugfixes which should already have been fixed in FitH to the best of my knowledge.)

It's strange indeed. The vanilla crashsite submaps work flawlessly with no roof issues whatsoever, so the cause definitely is the ECS, but I haven't been able to find the cause.

Hopefully you have more luck there. :)

Edited by Skitso

Aha! Removing the fire and smoke from the first level of a carrier seemed to remove the issue. I need to hurry to work now, so I don't have more time to investigate this, but at least the ufo roof removal issue seems to be tied to the added fire and smoke in the ECS. Could be that this can't be fixed without messing with the code?

Heh, strange. Well, at least you found the issue. I was going to suggest that it might be because they're animated, but there's animated props used in the vanilla UFOs as well (e.g. anti-grav generator, alien hyperdrive etc.) which I'm fairly certain are on the first level, so I'm not sure why it would be that.

• 4 weeks later...
Is it compatible with custom maps, XDivision and other overhauls?

EDIT: Wait, Victor, what you get by "no know issues"? Hmmmm... no issues, I guess?

X-Division has it implemented by default (you have to use C4 and "Heavy Explosives" instead).

XNT has some kind of patch for it.

• 2 months later...
Aha! Removing the fire and smoke from the first level of a carrier seemed to remove the issue. I need to hurry to work now, so I don't have more time to investigate this, but at least the ufo roof removal issue seems to be tied to the added fire and smoke in the ECS. Could be that this can't be fixed without messing with the code?

So I've spent a few hours trying to work out what the problem is and I've not had much success. I've been using the cruiser to test and what seems to be happening is that the game more or less always wants to display the main hull section regardless of whether it should or not. So, for example, if a player unit is in one of the wings of the Cruiser the main hull section will display when it shouldn't. When a player unit is in the area covered by the hull that's fine until the player's cursor moves into or out of that area (or possibly UFO wall tiles, not quite sure).

And while it's definitely something to do with changes made by ECS, it doesn't seem to be the fire and smoke props as I've deleted them from my test map and can still reproduce the issue. I'll try a few other things but it's not looking good.

I've been using a Cruiser to test. What appears to happen is that if the active unit is in the area cove

I'm able to reproduce the issue regardless of whether the smoke and fire props are placed so that doesn't appear to be the cause.

Further to the above: I think I might be able to solve it. Starting with a new map from scratch I just added in some power core explosion points without making any other changes to the map and when I tested it there appeared to be no camera issues. For some reason all the smoke and fire caused by the power cores disappeared but I assume that's an issue with the game and not the mod.

As such, I may be able to solve the camera issues. However, it comes with two costs:

1) (Irrelevant for everyone else) I'd have to build the entire mod (and FitH too) from scratch.

2) There would need to be an XCE-specific version of this mod and FitH because extensive use of power core explosions is only possible due to changes made in XCE 0.33.

I really, really didn't want to have to produce XCE-specific versions of mods because that's just asking for confusion and hassle. However, without being able to work out what the problem is with the two mods I can't think of another solution. It should be quicker to make these mods again then it was the previous times, though, as I can just use power core explosion points rather than having to make bespoke changes to the maps.

As such, I'll probably look into doing this but can't offer an ETA.