Only Aircombat

I read a post elsewhere by someone who loves the air combat, but doesn't care about ground combat. I don't know how common this feeling is, but I can understand it.

Would it be possible to have a stripped mode where only air combat happens, and air combat tech is gathered from downed alien craft?

seem to me that would get tiring very fast but i do have to agree the air combat in xenonauts is top notch and supposed to get even better.

seems like i saw a post by chris that he said there was a key to push to auto win ground battles.

cant remember where that post was though. sorry

Edited by NoIdidnt

Nope, I don't think there'll be an option just to have air combat and no ground combat. It's too hard to seperate the elements out from one another in gameplay terms, I'm afraid.

We might have an autoresolve for the air combat if the player has overwhelming force but having something like that for the ground combat would probably be a bit too exploitable.

I just want to underline that idea of only necessary things added may be not so good. Ie in Wings of War you have a tonn of almost the same planes with a bit different stats and appearence and this makes the game fun. Though i understand the resource limit.

I don't think that "some poster elsewhere" really cares about that. =)

You wouldn't be able to "win" the game without a major rewrite but according to Chris, UFO mission types are now moddable, so you could tell the UFOs to only fly around, doing air combat.

An air-only research tree wouldn't be very deep without recovering any items from ground missions but if you insist, you can tie all research to combinations of (previous research) & number of UFOs shot down.

So it's not perfect but not completely impossible.

Could you mod all UFOs to have zero crew? That would mean all ground combat missions would end instantly once the Chinook arrived, making the Chinook a retrieval operation rather than a ground combat.

Might cause some issues with equipment that is only carried by aliens though, such as plasma weapons, since I assume plasma hand weapon research is required for advanced aircraft weapons.

Yes, you could do what MrPyro suggests and mod all UFOs to have 0 crew - allowing you to capture everything in them by simply landing at the crash site. Only problem is that you'd never get access to the alien corpses and weapons that way, but I'm sure you could strip them out of the tech tree too.

So it is possible if you try.

It's pointless to counter (modding) exploits in a game that allows modding with no more than a text editor.

Set the damage of all alien weapons to zero. Duh. Any ape can do that.

With a single player game (no permanent connection to a governing server that could monitor things) it would be ridiculous to even try.

On the contrary, it can only be beneficial to allow as much modding access as is possible... with reasonable effort.

Not only is it a huge help in the balancing / polishing stage of the game, it also opens the doors for all the crazy ideas modders can come up with. Neither I nor Chris can even begin to speculate what they'll do.

It's pointless to counter (modding) exploits in a game that allows modding with no more than a text editor.

Set the damage of all alien weapons to zero. Duh. Any ape can do that.

With a single player game (no permanent connection to a governing server that could monitor things) it would be ridiculous to even try.

On the contrary, it can only be beneficial to allow as much modding access as is possible... with reasonable effort.

Not only is it a huge help in the balancing / polishing stage of the game, it also opens the doors for all the crazy ideas modders can come up with. Neither I nor Chris can even begin to speculate what they'll do.

I agree with Gazz here, that's why I try turn their questions about if the game will support X feature to will the game engine support X feature as a mod instead.