once there was an anti psi gadget planned....

Yes you read correct, or how do you understand this text from the research of the advanced Caesan analysis:

...The only members of the Caesan army to wear headgear, most reports of unusual psychological occurrences centre on officers, especially when an officer is sighted. If you can obtain samples of intact helmets I’d appreciate it. There may be something about the helmet – some device that is causing these effects and it might be adapted to our own armour.

I know a lot has changed since this text was typed, and there will be no such gadget, but it was planned once.

I don't know if there is some remaining code in the game, but the modders will be over-enthusiaistic to hear about and get their hands on it.

;)

Is that description still in the game? They've usually been pretty good about cutting out cruft in the Xenopedia that leads nowhere. I remember all sorts of weird little odds and ends that have been pruned away, something about alien officer's carrying ritual knives, the Fury being the first-ever A.I controlled aircraft, talk of upgraded medical centers, etc.

Thixotrop, remember that I wrote that, not GH!

Oh, I didn't know that it was your text. I am helping Selgald with the Lore+ translation (I know it is your mod :)), but I thought that you copied the texts from the research as Lore+ will be a sort of replacement for alien unit stuff.

Yes I have to admit then that I couldn't remember all the original text from the game.

Thus I am sorry for this Max.

(By the way, very good text, had some laughs.)

thixotrop, it's flattering that you thought I had copied the texts, as you must have assumed that what I wrote was what Chris wrote. Everything in Lore+ is an original. I wrote it all, a333 provided lots of helpful insight with the Class analysis (it would be fair to say that the articles would have been very different without a333's input). I didn't copy a single article from anywhere. It was all based upon observation, reading the existing Xenopedia articles (it helps to remember the class analysis was written WAY WAY back before Chris had done all the Xenopedia articles) and looking closely at things like aiprops. At the time we all knew there was going to be psychic powers, and the psychicpowers.xml file was available to look at. We also all thought there was going to be the Xeno equivalent of tin foil hats, so I wrote that sentence into the officer description . I am going to cut that sentence as of tonight, and take a very close look at everything I have previously written. Your thread and Koranis' suggestions have woken me up.

EDIT: To any that might think I plagurised Chris. I have evidence of my original works: discussions between myself and a333, the actual Alien Class Analysis thread where I revealed every single article as they were made, and I also have somewhere all the drafts that I wrote that a333 looked over.

Edited by Max_Caine

Wasn't there at some point in development a psionic research branch that led to nowhere? (I.e. humans have no psionic potential)

I read that bit on TV Tropes, I think its a shame it's not in anymore.

Stuff like that would definitely be interesting in an XCOM-like. Dead end trees, even though they may be frustrating, could add to the immersion of the game. There have definitely been projects in real life where all the effort turned out to be wasted, and finding out the time and effort you put into a tree was effectively useless could add to feeling of desperation and hopelessness.