Xenonauts: Community Edition discussion

Solver

Skitso, can you make a brief list of a few more colours you would like to be moddable? For colours that are actually hardcoded as code constants, I should be able to easily expose them to XML.

Also, it looks like the next version of X:CE will have a more important / larger modding feature from my wishlist... *wink wink* :)

Skitso, can you make a brief list of a few more colours you would like to be moddable? For colours that are actually hardcoded as code constants, I should be able to easily expose them to XML.

I'm at the work now, so these are from the top of my head:

The global highlight text (The interceptor Condor-1 has reached it's destination London)

The global header text (not sure if exists. :)) (yellow)

The available interceptors in launch menu (green)

The damaged interceptors in auto resolve dialog (green, yellow and red)

All texts in air combat

Also, it looks like the next version of X:CE will have a more important / larger modding feature from my wishlist... *wink wink* :)

What could that be? :o

Edited by Skitso

Not really :D I, like Max, don't really see the difference between that and just making the changes in weapons_gc.xml. If you want an upgraded rifle ammunition that does more damage, you can put it in weapons_gc.xml, and then use that ammo. What really needs to happen there would be support for multiple ammo types per weapon, but that's a different issue.

Wait. I can create 2 Ammo entries in the weapons_gc, have one ammo unlock via research and then a weapon can be loaded with both and the damage depend on the actual ammo loaded ?

How does that work with the GUI, in the equip screen you can only see 1 magazine type next to the weapon.

How does that work with the GUI, in the equip screen you can only see 1 magazine type next to the weapon.

That's the problem. The UI doesn't actually support multiple ammo types. (There's possible other issues too, but that's certainly a major one.)

Happily introducing the coolest feature from the next version: generic buildings.

Building effects have been moved to buildings.xml. This includes living/lab/workshop/medic space, hangar/garage capacity, and the like. This means you can now create buildings with whatever effects you please. A tech workshop offering both lab and manufacturing space, a radar that works as if there were 3 radars, and crazy people like Max can create a medical center that also counts as a missile defense turret.

This change also has a couple of pleasant side effects.

First, it means that base upgrades become generic also. You can now let researches make arbitrary building upgrades.

Second, this lays the groundwork for modding in limited storage capacity - stores in the new buildings.xml have a numerical capacity, which modders will be able to use to recreate the original's storage mechanics.

And would also be solved with the modification in the ammos.xml ^^

The game, specifically the UI, would still not support those ammunition types though, all you would be doing would be moving the ammunition stat location from weapons_gc.xml where the weapon stats are and putting them in ammos.xml.

It is identical to the current functionality but moved to another location.

What do you see this change doing?

Maybe I am just not seeing it so hopefully you can explain it to me ;)

I am always interested in changes to the weapon and ammunition system, if it requires a long and in depth discussion though might be a good plan to post up a new thread and just link it here to avoid derailing this thread.

*edit* Now that is a nice change Solver, very happy with that one!

Happily introducing the coolest feature from the next version: generic buildings.

Building effects have been moved to buildings.xml. This includes living/lab/workshop/medic space, hangar/garage capacity, and the like. This means you can now create buildings with whatever effects you please. A tech workshop offering both lab and manufacturing space, a radar that works as if there were 3 radars, and crazy people like Max can create a medical center that also counts as a missile defense turret.

This change also has a couple of pleasant side effects.

First, it means that base upgrades become generic also. You can now let researches make arbitrary building upgrades.

Second, this lays the groundwork for modding in limited storage capacity - stores in the new buildings.xml have a numerical capacity, which modders will be able to use to recreate the original's storage mechanics.

This is awesome! Fantastic job!

Thanks!

@Solver: Don't have time to do this myself (I'm supposed to be working right now) but could you not just add the base upgrade tech to the _BaseBuilt script so it unlocks right at the beginning of the game. You could then check if it's shortening research times or not.

The game, specifically the UI, would still not support those ammunition types though, all you would be doing would be moving the ammunition stat location from weapons_gc.xml where the weapon stats are and putting them in ammos.xml.

It is identical to the current functionality but moved to another location.

What do you see this change doing?

Maybe I am just not seeing it so hopefully you can explain it to me ;)

I am always interested in changes to the weapon and ammunition system, if it requires a long and in depth discussion though might be a good plan to post up a new thread and just link it here to avoid derailing this thread.

*edit* Now that is a nice change Solver, very happy with that one!

1. We can give the ammo bonus stats

2. We can make ammo upgradable that replaces ammo like explosives already do

3. When Soonâ„¢ the UI is modified (and this will happen in the future) the magic is already ready ^^

Just a thought on the ammo UI issue: would it be possible to have a right-click on the ammo part of the UI produce a drop-down menu that allows you to select the ammo type you want. Seems to me the simplest way of doing it that doesn't involve redesigning the actual screen.

A general issue: Whenever you add new features to .xml or create new ones, how about a quick documentation on the new attributes. E.g. with the nightRangeBonus in armour_gc.xml, it's not clear at all if the bonus is a multiplier-type bonus or a fixed range bonus.

Ideally, all .xmls should have adequate documentation regarding what the variables do. Some are self-explanatory, but many aren't.

Good point. I have documented the ones in gameconfig.xml but not some of the others. I think there may shortly be some changes to how this community edition is organized here, and then I would also do a bit better with documentation. I'll see for the next release, especially since the whole building overhaul could probably use some docs, too.

Here's one for the Geoscape. It looks like people are having real trouble drawing a causal link between shot down ufos, events and funding . Is there any way to add a positive/negative dollar number next to the event name/ufo shot down to visually strengthen the causal link between geoscape events, shot down ufos and funding?

Perhaps something like: "Warship Sunk:" -$3000" or "UFO Sighted: -$300", and next to a UFO crashsite perhaps a green dollar sign for the plus relations bonus.

1. We can give the ammo bonus stats

2. We can make ammo upgradable that replaces ammo like explosives already do

3. When Soonâ„¢ the UI is modified (and this will happen in the future) the magic is already ready ^^

That doesn't need to involve ammos.xml though.

Bonus stats could be added in weapons_gc.xml where the current ammunition stats are.

You can add multiple ammunition types to a weapon there already, the game just cannot display them, I haven't tried but this should in theory also allow you to replace the default ammo with an upgraded one via research.

Rocket launchers for example already upgrade their ammunition through research and all have their stats set in weapons_gc.xml so the functionality is already there.

It would likely be simpler to just allow bonus stats to be defined in the current weapons_gc and not dig deeper to change where the game looks for the existing stats.

I think the suggested addition of new stats for ammunition is a good one, I just don't see the need to also move the information over to a new file.

Let's just say we both want more variable ammunition stats and leave it to Solver to decide how best to do that if he decides to try it ;)

I like the option to have a right click menu for ammunition types, it does seem easier than having to try and rework the existing screen completely.

Unless a new tab just for 'advanced ammunition' could be made or something similar.

Edited by Gauddlike

Here's one for the Geoscape. It looks like people are having real trouble drawing a causal link between shot down ufos, events and funding . Is there any way to add a positive/negative dollar number next to the event name/ufo shot down to visually strengthen the causal link between geoscape events, shot down ufos and funding?

Perhaps something like: "Warship Sunk:" -$3000" or "UFO Sighted: -$300", and next to a UFO crashsite perhaps a green dollar sign for the plus relations bonus.

I'm not sure I'd like that personally as I think it would just clutter up the event notifications.

Nevertheless, I can see the value of it for players less familiar with the game mechanics. Perhaps having it tie into difficulty levels like the damage numbers in GC would work, then?