Xenonauts: Community Edition discussion

Solver

This thread is for Xenonauts: CE, a version of Xenonauts built from the modified source code that Chris has kindly made available.

This mod is intended for both players and modders. For players, it includes a few minor tweaks and bug fixes, the list of which will hopefully grow. For modders, this exposes new variables to XML and adds code to support some new modding features. All default values have in such cases been set to the same as previously hardcoded, so installing this mod will not change the gameplay.

It is my hope that other modders will be making use of this, and so mods that require this Community Edition will appear.

Please keep in mind that this is a mod, and therefore the executable included is unofficial and not made by Goldhawk. The mod may (but should not) introduce new bugs into the game.

Installation: just unzip into the game folder as with most other mods.

A changelog is kept here, and this thread has a guide on using the new modding features.

DOWNLOAD 0.25HF2

Edited by Solver

This thread is a good place to post variables that you would like to see in XML, and such things.

You'll regret saying that.

First up, inventory container sizes. The appearance can be changed (ie a backpack to 3x3 squares), but the game still thinks it's 5x5. If this could be exported into an xml, that'd be great.

Also, how about other things that probably wouldn't be covered by xml exports, such as putting a drop-down soldier role menu in the barracks screen?

As I already requested via PM, higher ground accuracy and cover bonuses should be moddable variables. Also, for my Oppressive UI, the air combat visuals and several hard coded global text colours would be nice to have moddable.

Edit: having soldiers' healing time and maybe medical bay bed number moddable would be cool. And bleeding damage too. (Or make it random?)

Edited by Skitso

Variables that I would like to see in XML.

Hrm.

Okay....

*sigh*

This isn't so much variables in XML, as having existing XML "unlocked" to work across a wider boundary

loseAP and moraleDamage "unlocked" from psionicpowers as weapons_gc variables

Regeneration, suppressionMultiplier, noSmokeAccuracyPenalty, Robotic and Hovering "unlocked" from aiprops as armours_gc variables.

Dread and Fear respectively deal AP and morale damage in a specific manner. Dread always affects several enemies, Fear always does 90% damage when it hits. I can think of many way to make weapons and equipment that are as exotic and interesting. Like a harpoon, a net or a bolas which causes AP damage. Or a hideous Gieger-esque weapon-creature which spits out glistening grubs that fly towards their victim on leathery wings, attach themselves to the skull and injects the hapless being with hallucinatory drugs that send them mad! MAD I TELL YOU! AhahaHAHAHAHAHA.... (*ahem*)

But it's more than just causing damage! I'd like to be able to heal damage AP and morale damage as well and combine that in intriguing ways. I'd like to make a hyperstimulation drug concoted from the grossly enlarged adrenaline glands of Reapers that "heals" AP, but at the same time does 20-30HP actual damage turning it into a make-or-break drug. I'd like to create Soma, a drug mixed from the secretions harvested from the living brains of unwilling Caesan subjects which "heals" morale, but damages AP.

Morale and AP are values which are pretty much taken for granted. I view them as two more "health bars" which would help to mix the game up and I am certain that they would help unlock the imagination of modders. (It unlocks the hidden dungeons of mine!)

EDIT: I will hold my hand up and confess I've been asking for this for a while now.

Edited by Max_Caine

Okay okay, I perhaps let myself fly into the realms of dark fantasy there, but I really feel that all the avenues for arms have been extensively covered. I pride myself on making the Unusual and the Strange. Novelty, invention and innovation are a delight to me, and I believe that these damage types would improve both.

You certainly have me buzzing, can't wait to see what you make out of it!

Can I treat this community edition as vanilla state when applying mods, or should I expect some conflict which commonly occur when trying to run two or more unrelated mods at the same time?

Edit: Thank you for the prompt response!

Edited by ventuswings
clutter avoidance

Currently, it is like this. If the mod does not modify gameconfig.xml, there is no conflict. If the mod modifies gameconfig.xml, then you should probably combine the mod's changes with the new parameters found in the comunity edition gameconfig. Although if you do not, things should still work fine with their default values.

Max (and maybe others):

You'll be pleased to know that it seems possible to create weapons that drain TUs and that drain Morale. I'll be happy to implement it, but I'd like to hear a bit more about how it might work in mods so that I make a reasonably good modding implementation.

Should morale/TU damage be a property of the weapon, or ammo? The latter could allow something crazy like a rocket launcher with slowdown rockets and with demoralizing rockets (now there's a tautology). Some more specifics would be good to get my old silly brain spinning.