Dual wield

Is it possible to have 2 pistols and benefit from that (i.e lower TUs cost compared to firing one pistol, or 2 bullets per shot?)

Having 2 shields, one per hand, is it beneficial?

Bonus question, is it somehow cheating to have all soldiers start with a shield in hand, weapon in backpack and then drop the shield as spare in the chinhook? Is it worth it?

Having 2 shields might be, but two pistols gives no bonuses whatsoever. It says so in the ballistic weapons xenopedia article, but there's hardly any reason to read that unless you go looking for it so its easy to miss. And no, it is not cheating to bring along extra gear. If it hurts it works.

Is it possible to have 2 pistols and benefit from that (i.e lower TUs cost compared to firing one pistol, or 2 bullets per shot?)

It's not possible to fire both pistols simultaneously and the TU costs stay the same. The only benefit from dual-wielding pistols is that instead of reloading, you can just start using the second gun once the first one has ran out of ammo.

Bonus question, is it somehow cheating to have all soldiers start with a shield in hand, weapon in backpack and then drop the shield as spare in the chinhook? Is it worth it?

I think that's just a clever way of getting around the limitation that you can't load extra equipment into your transport craft. I do it all the time when I'm assaulting alien bases. I just cram everyone's backpack full of extra magazines, grenades, rockets etc. and then drop them at the entrance during the first turn.

• 1 year later...

I think it might be possible to create a shield item that *looks* like a pistol, and give it the ability to reduce shot TU, at say, a cost to reload time and ammo usage.

so something like:

"Offhand Pistol"

-50% TU to shoot

+50% Reload time

+100% ammo usage

could also add a negative modifier to accuracy.

I think I will try modding this...

I think it might be possible to create a shield item that *looks* like a pistol, and give it the ability to reduce shot TU, at say, a cost to reload time and ammo usage.

so something like:

"Offhand Pistol"

-50% TU to shoot

+50% Reload time

+100% ammo usage

could also add a negative modifier to accuracy.

I think I will try modding this...

The best way is making a weapon image with dual ***** and code it as 2 handed. You can make it's pellet shot number 2 or a very fast standart auto fire with a 2 bullet particle specte.