Are heavy fighters too easy?

You light afterburners and set a waypoint at about 45 degrees to the heavy fighter squadron. They will aim for the intercept, making their target cones just miss you while you close in. When you are pretty close, you evasive roll (which takes you a long way at high speed) behind them, and it is just a case of gunning them all down from there.

You light afterburners and set a waypoint at about 45 degrees to the heavy fighter squadron. They will aim for the intercept, making their target cones just miss you while you close in. When you are pretty close, you evasive roll (which takes you a long way at high speed) behind them, and it is just a case of gunning them all down from there.

Ok, yeah, I can see how you could do that. That's more or less the design intent, I think. Except it's not supposed to be easy with the Condor; you're supposed to need a Corsair to pull it off.

The only solution would be to widen the firing arc of the HF's weapons so that you can't slip down the side of them. That, or change the air combat AI, but the former seems like a much simpler solution!

@Kevin: "the Almighty"? I think you mean "the-person-who-should-be-writing-his-PhD-thesis-but-is-too-easily-distracted-for-his-own-good"

:)

I'm happy and unhappy at the same time that this happened. My original Heavy Fighter proposal was designed to make the player think new ways of defeating them, so I'm pleased at that. What I'm not please is that a Condor was able to so easily dodge a posse of 3 - my testing suggested it would be micro intensive to dodge one HFighter, and near impossible to dodge all three. I'm a little jealous that I wasn't able to do that myself. Oh well, too late now. Only thing that can be done is to experiment and try something new in the Flying Circus.

I had this thought about interceptors too. For all their advanced technology the aliens can't figure out a thatch weave, or how to intercept someone properly. You can stay out of range of their guns by turning TOWARDS them. 1 corsair can reliably take out three interceptors without taking a scratch. I think interceptors need a HP boost, they have less than half as much health as scouts.