V1.0 Impressions

Just finished my 1.0 game- no mods, straight vanilla- and I thought I'd give my impressions for whatever dubious value they may have.

- First of all, the AI in general is great. Though I still see a few untoward things happening (aliens ending their turn clearly in my line of fire) I also see ETs bobbing and weaving and retreating and repositioning in intelligent ways.

- Compared to earlier builds, I love the fact that enemies (usually sebs, but others too) occasionally emerge from their ships, often at very inopportune moments. I've lost more than one good soldier to these sudden attacks, and think that's fantastic :)

- I had exactly one terror mission, one alien base mission, and zero assaults on my bases. I believe these are missed opportunities, particularly after all the effort that must've gone into creating and programming them. My game was basically a continual grind of downed UFO missions. I'd really like to see terror sites simply occur (the aliens beam down from orbit, or explain it however you'd like) without a chance of stopping them. And have UFOs on base attack missions only be detected when they're almost on top of their target (again, explain this how you will, like these ships are given an almost vertical entry trajectory). There needs to be more variety than 40 crash sites in a row

- Similarly, I think the alien alloy take on smaller ships should be revised downward. After I waded my way through scouts, landing ships and interminable corvettes, and had captured an alien leader, I had enough alenium and alloys to build six marauders and pimp almost all my soldiers with sentinel and plasma. I thus had little incentive to ground assault downed cruisers and carriers, and launched airstrikes on them left and right. This made the grind seem even more unbalanced: do dozens of scouts and corvettes, and then be ambivalent about storming the bigger and more exciting ships. I guess I should've done more airstrikes on the smaller vessels, but decreasing the alloy take from them would've motivated me to do this in the first place, knowing that it would pay to wait for larger and more rewarding battles. And made the late game more relevant

- I'd also like to see the distribution of aliens altered. Caesans, sebs, caesans, sebs, androns, caesans, sebs. I think I saw (outside of the final mission) 3-4 reapers total, and a handful of harridans, wraiths and drones. I feel there really needs to be more of these species mixed into the missions. All that programming, to me, is being underutilized

- I personally didn't like to see some of the aliens removed from the final mission to compensate for the Valkyrie going to 12 soldiers. The final mission, IMHO, should be a knockdown, badass free-for-all, and not the mission that is watered down instead. I think the Shrike should field 11 soldiers, the Valkyrie 14. Bump up the number of aliens across the board if need be to maintain balance, but don't emasculate the final Earth-saving mission

- I love, love, love the multi-level combat. The value of Buzzard armor has been transformed. Sniping from rooftops, even with its problems and limitations, is a joy. And aliens blasting away at me unexpectedly through second-floor windows is like Christmas. Two big thumbs up for finally implementing this :cool:

Edited by dpelectric

well for the Alien bases, base assaults, and terror missions, you've actually probably already killed most of them. For any of those actions, the game spawns a ship with a mission to do so. If you shoot them down, well then no aliens in new york. So if your doing a real good job in the air game, then your reward is not having to kill a city full of aliens xD.

So if your doing a real good job in the air game, then your reward is not having to kill a city full of aliens xD.

Yes, but that's the whole problem. You're being penalized for doing well in the air game by monotony in the ground game. I want to face cities full of aliens

hi guys, i wonder if the research/autopsy of the alien corpses has been defaulted to automatic in the game?

because i don't need to allocate scientist and there is no research item of alien corpses to start, but autopsy results were pop up for xenopedia.

hi guys, i wonder if the research/autopsy of the alien corpses has been defaulted to automatic in the game?

because i don't need to allocate scientist and there is no research item of alien corpses to start, but autopsy results were pop up for xenopedia.

Yes, autopsy research is completed automatically. As it does not give any in-game benefits it was seen as easier to have it done without intervention, rather than having it use up valuable research resource.