Tips and guides?

OK, this is a super lame ask, but I'm hitting a brick wall 3 months in, with my funding dwindling to nothing. And I used to play X-Com religiously :o

I have no problem with the battle screen, but is there some guidance as to where to place the bases, in what order, and what should be in them?

I've tried numerous combinations (within radar range, far apart etc.) and numerous builds, and I just cannot stop my funding disappearing.

I get the feeling I'm missing a trick, and falling into some newb trap.

Yeah, radars and air game are far more important for your funding. Your first two bases should be such that you can cover most regions in whole or in part. I go with a base in Egypt and another one around Guatemala, Cuba is also fine. That way I have at least partial coverage of all regions except Australia. If I can make it last, I'll build a third base somewhere in Southeast Asia to give better coverage over Asia and Australia. Remember that an extra radar enhances range quite significantly.

Aaaaah, that's what I was looking for. I'm pleased to see my gut feeling about spreading bases around was right, but it appears I was putting way too much money and time into the troops instead of the planes.
I read that guide, it helped. thank you.

Good deal. I put a lot of time into it, but was rather worried it was long-winded and confusing. If anybody has any input on stuff that is missing, poorly worded or just plain wrong, I'd sure appreciate feedback

There's some great stuff on that video, Tascruel. I never thought of dropping a weapon so you'd have more TUs to throw a grenade. And showing how a shield trooper should "sidestep" into an alien's LOS rather than exposing his rear/sides to fire is also quite helpful, and something I couldn't explain correctly in writing. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words :cool:

A game like this should not punish you if you don't follow exact instructions. This is a game, not instructions for building a table. The original X-Com, while punishing, allowed you to play however you wanted yet managed to be difficult just the same. I >>NEVER<< had to read a guide to play/finish it. That is just bad design IMHO.

You don't have to read a guide to play/finish the game (I didn't need one when I started, and I have never played anything like X-Com). It's just that many players complain about not understanding how Geoscape works, so the community made a guide to make things easier for them. The only thing I needed assistance in was air combat and figuring out the specifics on certain structures; base placement and set-up I could figure out on my own (expand global coverage > tricking out your single squad of soldiers, make sacrifices on the Geoscape accordingly, etc).

You can't really blame the design if people don't realize that covering as much area as possible per base is ideal and that you'll never cover the entire world with a single base (common sense). The game isn't really too punishing at all if you use your head, imo.

=/

Edited by ViewThePhenom