Modding

MisterLock

Hello peeps.For any that remember me,a while back i was one of the more major guys in modding.I played and fiddled around with v18 until i made it to my licking.Balanced the prices myself and everything,Added a new weapon(The Ak)and more stuff.Now the game has changed quite alot(i've played build 21 to some extent)and now that the game has been released I want to ask 1 question.Is the modding still the same?And if it is can some of the old dogs on this forum that still recognize me explain to me how to add stuff(I'm Particulary interested in the ak-47 again,and to be honest such long time since i messed around with the game files,I forgot all of it)

Basics still the same as they were in v18.

It's the details and things implemented since are new - like ai, which is highly tweakable now, some new config and weapons properties and settings. Shotguns now shoot several pellets, some types of rockets no longer in the game, aliens now use floors other then ground, tundra tileset that did not make it now being modded in etc. Many things =)

But things that were in v18 are still in the same places.

If you need to find something, best first place to check will be stickied thread at he top of modding section, about config files.

As for AK, it should be fairly easy - it mostly in the game already and used by npc's, so only thing that need to be changed is the availability to Xen troops, i think (off the top of my head - items.xml, change Type from Normal to Unlimited, maybe something more somewhere that i didn't remember).

And for adding new weapons - you'll need to add entries to the bunch of xmls (weapons, weapons_gc, items, strings and optionally ammos, researches and manufactures), put in pictures for ui (assets/weapons folder mostly) and then create sprites for the xen units (for that you'll need to unpack GC_UnitsXML.pfp to get existing unit sprite xmls, double and rename them appropriately to how you named the new weapons and which of existing sprites you are going to use).