(Spoilers inside) About the ending

So I recently beat the last mission after 40 hour of awesome. Am I the only one who thinks that it was a bit underwhelming? After the epic last mission, when you finally kill the High Praetor, the only thing you get is an image saying congratulations you've won, then you click next and back to the main menu. I know a cutscene is maybe too much to ask for, but maybe some kind of slideshow explaining what happened afterwards and some credits would have been nice to see.

So what do you guys think. Did the ending also feel a little bit anticlimactic to you? Or do you think that it provided a good conclusion to the game.

PS: Congratulatulations to the dev team for making such a great game!

PS2: English is not my first language, so please excuse any grammatical errors that may or may not be present in the post.

I can see how it might be a bit anti-climactic. A cutscene would have been expensive and hard to render in our engine, but the bigger problem is how to conclude a game where the story is largely controlled by the player.

There are ways to do it, of course, but we decided to go for something understated to emphasise that the story of the game was really the journey that you and your soldiers took to reach the end of the game. Well, that and it was cheap and easy :D

Ah Cydonia. Played the original on my Amiga 500 then and as I came to the final alien the game crashed...always. Could never end the game. It was a little annoying, but the game itself was so good that it didin't bother me for long. I have seen the ending on youtube as it was uploaded there.

And no, I will not start the original game again, because I can't stand the blocky graphics anymore. Tried it with Xcom Apocalypse (DosBox and everything) but had to stop as soon as the initial blue fluffy muppet-skin aliens appeared.

A slide show would be great for the ending.

Maybe the game takes screenshots during the game, some ground combats, air combats, base view and so on for this. However I guess a bit late now.

I've raised absolutely the same topic in the past so I quite second that. The ending is indeed underwhelming for me. I do value the journey but I respectfully disagree that having a sensible ending makes it less important. The current one feels like it doesn't respect the effort of the player to reach a positive conclusion. Come on, it's defending Earth against evil alien invasion and all one could get in the end is "You win"?! Talk about gameplay as much as you want (and I love it) but that does not mean the ending is irrelevant.