Low Fuel in Air Combat issue

I've raised this issue few times during experimental and I guess it was either thrown away or not important, but the situation is quite surreal.

While fighting UFOs and the popup for Low Fuel pops, when you click NO for retreat your plain automatically crashes even if you win 0.1s after the popup. But when you click YES the plane gets fuel on -X% and happily returns to the base (unless you hit certain amount of -X%). Shouldn't it be the same for clicking NO? If you win the battle and didn't reach the threshold the plane should also happily return to base.

I've raised this issue few times during experimental and I guess it was either thrown away or not important, but the situation is quite surreal.

While fighting UFOs and the popup for Low Fuel pops, when you click NO for retreat your plain automatically crashes even if you win 0.1s after the popup. But when you click YES the plane gets fuel on -X% and happily returns to the base (unless you hit certain amount of -X%). Shouldn't it be the same for clicking NO? If you win the battle and didn't reach the threshold the plane should also happily return to base.

Well, no. The pop-up comes up at the last possible moment before the aircraft reaches bingo fuel. That is, the amount of fuel required to return to base from the current position. Not heading back once said point is reached means the plane just can't make it back without running dry along the way.

It's a bit simplified, but 0% fuel doesn't mean an empty tank. Just that the plane has the precise amount to return safely.

Well if you click yes - the plane enters retreat mode and if the fuel reaches certain amount on negatives and doesn't leave the area it is counted as destroyed during the combat. So still clicking NO should not count as automatic aircraft destroyed.

Well if you click yes - the plane enters retreat mode and if the fuel reaches certain amount on negatives and doesn't leave the area it is counted as destroyed during the combat. So still clicking NO should not count as automatic aircraft destroyed.

Yes, it should. When you click YES, the plane immediately turns around and flies in a straight line out of the combat zone and back to base. If you click NO, you remain in control of the aircraft, but you sacrifice returning to base since you start spending fuel critically needed to head home to remain in the fight instead. And since you've eaten up at least a small portion of those reserves, you can't go back.

I don't understand what's the point you're trying to make. When you agree to retreat, the aircraft commits to returning to base, which is the only thing it should be doing with its remaining fuel. It's not a reserve you can use for anything else if you want to make it back to the runway.

Clicking no does not mean the plane is destroyed in combat. It means the plane crashes on its way back to the base, because it doesn't have enough fuel left to return. Xenonaut aircraft are specifically modified to be much, much heavier than normal airplanes and can only fly because of immense power generation, without that they crash like a rock. They are incapable of gliding using aerodynamic lift like current gen aircraft are. The fuel you use when you decline to return to the base is the fuel the aircraft needs to return home.

The point is: You destroy UFO 1s before Fuel Low error, you click Yes - everything is fine. You click NO and you lost an aircraft although it didn't had to fight anymore so there wasn't any lost fuel after the popup and true combat end. Even IF you click YES, you're plain can still run out of fuel while retreating from combat because the negatives have reached certain amount. So clicking NO should also allow you to end the battle with no loss, before the negatives reach the same amount.

I think what he's trying to say is;

The aircraft is only lost once you reach 0% fuel in combat AND your plane has not left the combat area.

HOWEVER

The aircraft does not always take the quickest route to the edge of the battle area and has made its calculation based on that in-optimum trajectory.

If you say "no" and then (fire a missile say) then go to the nearest exit as determined by you. Providing you reach the end of the combat zone before hitting 0% you shouldn't lose the aircraft.

If you say, no - no matter what you do - you've just lost aircraft. You can say no, fire missile, set path to exit, and end the combat - still you lost. If you fire missile, press yes, end combat - you have happily returning plane. This does not make any sense.

Ultimately you're complaining about something really minor, a very rare situation with no definite solution. Even if you had an extra 1% of fuel to pull off that kind of maneuver, the same scenario would repeat itself whenever that extra percent isn't enough. It sucks when you can't shoot down a UFO due to fuel concerns, sure, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and that somewhere is not always going to be enough.

There has been a bug in the game for a long time that makes it possible for a fighter to die from running out of fuel even if you reply "Yes" to bingo fuel message. It doesn't happen in auto resolve and it's rare in manual, but it definitely exists. In fact, I filed a bug report on it a long time ago. Easy solution would be to add 1% - 2% reserve to the bingo amount that triggers the message. I think it's cutting it too close right now.