Mod etiquette

aajs

I am new to this whole modding thing and was wondering about modding etiquette.

If I am making a mod that does one thing and somebody has made another mod with features that are compatible with your mod how do you go about including in them in yours. This is not an issue if your mod is for personal use, however what is the situation if you are intending to share you mod with the community later?

Do you have to specifically ask the mod owners permission to include it in you mod?

Or can you add it in, but make sure there is a section that gives credit to the modder that created that part and add links to his original work etc?

Can anybody steer me in the right direction.

People will have different standards, but I'd say it would be good to assume that people don't want you to redistribute or repackage their mods without explicit permission. I've yet to see anyone actually mind having their mod repackaged, but it's better to ask first and you lose nothing by doing so.

And whatever you do, I'd strongly recommend crediting other modder's work if you do include it. As a matter of course, I like also to include links to other people's mods that I've used/have links to my own mods, as it's useful for directing people towards bug reports/giving feedback for those specific parts of the mod you've released.

If you want to avoid a flame war, you ask. First. =)

A side benefit of that is that there's a chance you'll actually get some support or creative feedback that way.

With my X3 scripts/mods I added a "Rules and permissions" section.

That would make things easy but the Xeno modding scene isn't quite big enough for that to be a major issue. =)