When do continents drop out?

Still plowing through my first game, on Veteran, and Australasia remained onboard by the turn of December despite relations dropping to Bad during November. So when do continents abandon the Xenonauts project? Is it random depending on relations level, or is it fixed, happening only when their funding's been hammered down to zero?

I ask because even though I was expecting to lose Australasia, relations with North America, site of my second base, suddenly deteriorated to Bad as well despite their funding level's around $200k.

They basically drop out when their projected funding for the next month reaches 0. You can track that at any point by hovering the cursor over any region and observing the numbers on the top right. If the current funding is 200k and the projected change is -180k you should begin to worry.

Take in consideration that a region might stay at a low figure as long as no alien events pop up over it and if you are lucky enough and no UFOs spawn around it will be safe even without a base covering it; on the contrary a single wave left unaddressed might damage your relations with a perfectly covered region pretty fast.

Does the drop-out happen when the predicted funding reaches zero, or only when it actually reaches zero at the end of the month?

I built a base in a region when it still had 180k funding at the start of the month, but before the base was finished, the predicted change went -180k. Now I'm wondering if I can still sway this nation to staying with me.

No, once it reaches 0 there's no going back, regardless of how well you do before the end of the month.

Hmm. Yeah, Australasia entered December with $12,000 and a couple of incidents brought the forecast down to -$12,000. Doesn't look like it'll budge, so it seems they're done. I'm sure crash sites on taken continents can be assaulted, but do airstrikes work there?

Hmm. Yeah, Australasia entered December with $12,000 and a couple of incidents brought the forecast down to -$12,000. Doesn't look like it'll budge, so it seems they're done. I'm sure crash sites on taken continents can be assaulted, but do airstrikes work there?

I don't know whether airstrikes still work, but I imagine so. Totally never thought about that.