Anyone making a Resource Management MOD yet ?

Shuichi Niwa

I really like the old XCOM feeling of managing resources and ammunitions, stocking up ammo, rockets, cleaning the store and get rid of the obsolete weaponry to make room for new ones, take care of how much space the store of the base have, building new storeroom, etc.

None of that is available in Xenonauts however :( Also I don't like the feeling of still having the "infinite" old weaponry when I already have new ones. Sure I can still use some old ones but whether to stock them in my base should be what me (Xenonauts commander) decide *O* And I still can't stomach that "infinite space storeroom that you only need one ever in each base" stuff T_T

Also I don't know a thing about modding so if there is anyone who already (or plan to) make a resource management MOD can you guys please notice me asap. Thank you very much :(

It's something that I've thought about before, but I'm undecided about whether I'd actually enjoy it more (and I'm more inclined to make mods I'm likely to want to play).

For what it's worth, with basic items this would be pretty simple:

- You can change the availability of items in items.xml (change 'unlimited' or 'unlimited on research' to 'normal' I think)

- You can also add a purchase cost to items here.

It's more complicated with advanced items which you need to make, as you'd need to change things in manufactures.xml (to add the relevant projects in) and researches.xml (to unlock the projects rather than replacing items). You'd also need to add in relevant strings for project names in strings.xml.

Possibly the hardest bit, though, will be balance. If you're having to pay for things which were previously free, you'd need more cash to compensate. Furthermore, if you wanted to give things like alenium missiles a resource cost (i.e. alenium) then you'd probably need to increase the amount of resources you get from crashes, which is a trip into the submap editor.

There are two total conversion mods off the top of my head that incorporate production. XNT and JATOM. XNT is the more mature version, but you might want to try both out to see if either tickle your fancy.

EDIT: AFAIK, the infinite space of the storeroom is hardcoded.

Edited by Max_Caine

XNT

Yep, but still, ammo, rockets and stuff are free. (But you do get lots of new things to produce)

XNT focuses more on the monetary economy so you have to produce stuff to balance your budget (and balancing the budget is tough)

In the near future we plan to have new finite resources though (alien materials different than alenium or alloys)

Edited by Theon Greyjoy