1-Base Strategy Possible?

Hey guys, just out of interest - do you think it is possible to stick to a single base in Xenonauts?

Idea would be to minimalise maintenance cost but stay at the top tech level (i.e. build multiple radars and try to get corsairs fast, to get decent coverage).

This would certainly spell the doom for America (if you place your base in Eastern Europe like I do). But in my current playthrough I lost North America after I built up my base there. It was too late, and now my Cuba base seems just utterly useless.

I'm gonna try that in the next playthrough. Maybe it's a legit strategy.

Edit: Oh and I'm gonna go Veteran Ironman. Let's see how long I last.

Edited by theSovereign

It's possible. Doesn't mean you can win.

I'm not sure how many regions you can lose on Easy before losing the game but unless you can cover all the others with one base in the Middle East the numbers just won't add up and it will be mathematically impossible. But it will be a carnage even if theoretically possible, and you will certainly see a lot of red around.

Off the top of my head you will certainly lose North America, South America, Central America, Australia and Indochina while leaving a large portion of the Soviet Union exposed. So that's a minimum of five regions doomed from the start with a sixth you can't really control.

I have to aggree with you, I do not think it will work out. But now I indeed am curious.

The idea from the map is: Base placed in Georgia. North, Central and South America will be out, that's 3 gone sooner or later.

By building 2 extra radars in the base and going for foxtrots and hopefully soon corsairs, the interesting question is whether it will be able to hold Indochina and/or Australasia.

Maybe it's possible to rush a lot of tech early, then decomission down to 1 laboratory/workshop.

Later, when the neglected regions leave the organisations it might be necessary to cut down on all maintenance costs possible in order to have any money to spend.

I have played the 1st month since posting this, things seem fine for now. Except that to keep Australasia... is kinda farfedged. Everything else is at least for the better part in radar range, so that would (theoretically) only mean 4 regions defect.. and that's not a GG so I am still optimistic.

An interesting challenge. The difficulty would be getting to Corsairs - you'd need to heavily invest in MiGs and run constant patrols around your radar border. Once you get to Corsairs you can patrol the borders more easily and for much longer, and if you could get to Maurauders you'd be laughing.

I think this should be doable, but only on Easy and Normal. With only one base it's realistically possible to cover only at most 6 regions, i.e. Europe+Asia+Africa. No way to do anything for Americas and Australia, that means 4 lost regions -> game over on Veteran and Insane.

But I don't see any other problem. The lost funding from those 4 regions will be compensated by having to maintain only one base, so no problem there. The few regions closest the to base will have very good coverage, and covering even just a portion of a region should be enough to keep the rest at least from leaving, if not stable. Not to mention that already Foxtrots can reach further than a base's maximum radar range. Space for additional facilities in this single base might be a bit stretched, but I think it'd be doable too.

A quick update:

So far it seems pretty good, now it is time to decomission the condors and start building corsairs. Foxtrots are immensely valuable.

America didn't leave yet, even though the aliens are apparently bombing it back to the stone age.

Note, I am definitely NOT a very good player, I suffered quite a number of casualties and even fluked a terror mission in south africa (due to a stupid mistake on my part... sorry Capetown). Veteran is a good challenge for me from the outset.

All in all, I am still curious.

You lost 5 xenonauts and you call that flawless ?By the way how far did you progress in game ?When I played vanilla I usually skipped terror missions unless I have researched jackal armor,laser weaponry (at least laser rifles if nothing else) and hunter scout.

Ok, game is close to being lost.

I will still play this (even though my game is doomed :D)

My bottom line is this (I missed that on veteran you can only lose 4 funding regions).

On normal it should be decently possible (there you may not lose 5), especially if you don't fluke like me and blow a terror in South Africa. A region I lost, but I shouldn't have.

You lost 5 xenonauts and you call that flawless ?

That was sarcasm. Still one of the most exciting battles I had.

Interesting phrase you use there. If I said I fluked something, I would mean I had incredibly good luck, and succeeded. Obviously to you fluking something is bad.

Yes, I did use that word incorrectly. What I meant to say was I blundered it.

Air domination was working really well, I have to work on my ground tactics.

one of the other great things about having multiple bases is late game interceptors stationed in the US are capable of flying to germany, shooting down a UFO and flying home again. The air war gets really intense once carriers and battleships start showing their ugly heads.

for sure win ---

build first base in Israel, second base on the small islands in the indochina region right as the game starts.

fill the second base with radar + 3 hangars, later expanding to 6 hangars, later on adding 1 lab and 1 living space.

first base also: 2 living spaces, radar, 2 workshops, 2 laboratories and all the rest fill with hangars

For me I found that this is a money machine. you lose the americas but the americas suck anyway. too big a region to keep safe with 1 base and terror missions and the like will be too far away anyway to reach from your main base

No missile batteries? And a second radar increases your radius of detection, right?

Yep, radars number 2 and 3 increase detection radius.

Some people skip missile batteries entirely. They take up space and only have 60% accuracy, so you'd need about 7 to have a reasonably consistent chance of stopping an incoming ship. They do somewhat reduce the numbers of aliens on attacking ships by damaging them, but I prefer to just invest that space in more hangars and not let a base assault happen in the first place.

Yeah, missile batteries are completely useless.

They aren't totally useless. I'm tempted by the idea of sticking 10 of them (only costs 500k) on my second/third bases as a back-up defense system since I only run one ground team. But they are pretty situational in usefulness.