Reapers attacks?

Has anyone experienced a successful Reaper attack lately? I couldn't notice any so far in my current playthrough but I did have an occasion when a Reaper ran to one of my soldiers, stopped, turned, ran away quite a few tiles and stopped there. I also haven't seen a single zombie in civilian populated areas when Reapers were present in the mission. Makes me suspect something might be wrong there.

In my experience, despite all the tales I've heard to the contrary, reapers are a non-issue. I've never once (in 400+ hours of playing) had one of them successfully attack my troops. And in all that time I've seen maybe 5-6 zombies. On top of that, I've further witnessed what you're describing- the few reapers that I do encounter lately have simply stopped in my LOS. Reapers are supposed to be fearsome, but they've posed basically zero threat to me, and I certainly don't think it's because I'm any kind of great player. They need some sort of major upgrade

Edit: And along the same lines, harridans and wraiths, too. I was really looking forward to seeing flying, sniping harridans. Encountered two so far: one on a rooftop, one atop a desert mesa. Neither behind any kind of cover, killed them both on the spot. And wraiths that have teleported from behind good cover to out in the open, just begging me to shoot them...

Edited by dpelectric

I think Kevin Hamm is right. Last mission I ran my shield trooper got taken down by a reaper, but neither the reaper nor the zombie was there when the rest of my team got LoS. I was never able to account for it again, i secured the entire map, it wasn't outside, and it wasn't in the UFO when I breached, but it told me I killed all the aliens when the map ended.

I had a mission recently with a reaper on it, actually, and I could have sworn that I heard the ganked-by-reaper noise offscreen, but then there was only one reaper on the map. I might have mis-heard, though (or, actually, it could have been the reaper getting shot?)

I have seen them successfully attack in 1.03, or maybe that was 1.02. However, that does seem rare, and Reapers will more often that not exhibit the behaviour of running towards a target and then stopping or turning back. My assumption was that they simply do not have enough TUs to close and attack, so they just approach with the hope of attacking the next turn, but that is not an effective strategy.

It's not like the original's Chryssalids were any smarter though, they just circumvented the problem by having insanely high TUs.

I have seen them successfully attack in 1.03, or maybe that was 1.02. However, that does seem rare, and Reapers will more often that not exhibit the behaviour of running towards a target and then stopping or turning back. My assumption was that they simply do not have enough TUs to close and attack, so they just approach with the hope of attacking the next turn, but that is not an effective strategy.

It's not like the original's Chryssalids were any smarter though, they just circumvented the problem by having insanely high TUs.

I have seen them attack my guys, but not often.

In a landing ship mission recently I saw some very strange behavior.

There was a reaper in an upstairs barn, who zombified a civi. After a few turns I heard what I thought was the reaper bursting from the zombie, but when I went up there I saw a frozen zombie sprite, and no extra reaper. The zombie sprite was not targetable, and took no damage from explosives.

I also had a CTD during that mission and had to start again. A separate reaper had zombified another civi on the first play through. I heard him get reaped again when I re-started, but I never found the zombie or an extra reaper. Just a spot of blood on the ground with a shotgun lying there.

This was in V1.03

Maybe something in the autosave is screwing them up?

To summarise:

Fresh landing ship crashsite mission:

I heard a reaper get a civi in turn one. I then saw the zombie, got a soldier killed by the reaper, killed the two zombies and two reapers that appeared.

Another reaper tries to sneak up on me, but I spot it with my scimitar, and kill it safely

CTD

Autosave load of same mission:

I hear a reaper get a civi in turn one. I never see the zombie or an extra reaper. The reaper does not really threaten me at all.

Second reaper gets a civi, but the zombie freezes up. Reaper seems reluctant to attack me.

Edited by winterwolves

The original's Chryssalids also had a respectable amount of armour. XCOM:EU's variant has less protection but compensates with numbers.

Anyway, I can't contribute much to the main subject. It's early enough in my game I've only seen one Reaper, and managed to gun it down before it got too close.

Well Xcom EU's version were irreversibly nerfed by the two action system, and Firaxis failing to give them good enough AI to avoid standing next to your soldiers like "PLease sir may I have some more". All of my saves are ironman games so I can regratably not help you yet Gijs, but next time I see a reaper I'll try and pay attention for you.

I just did a pretty thorough test of reapers. I ended up with about eight of them running around the map, and my sniper out of ammo!

I shot all of the sebillians I saw, but left the reapers. They did not pass up any chances to infect civis or my troops.

It was pretty funny.

The zombies were very passive though. Also, the reapers did not even attempt to attack my scimitar.

I agree that zombies can be extremely passive. I left the soldier directly adjacent to the untouched Zombie, and instead of using the melee attack it just moved back and forth in rather ineffective manner. While I like Reaper using sneaky tactics (which I see little at the moment though it might be confirmation bias) it's also bit strange to see zombie behave in such defensive manner.

YEah there is definitely something wrong with Reaper AI. In this photo: http://i.imgur.com/4gxDPNy.png

The reaper came from out of the UFO, ran past two of my guys, and then stopped where it is without attacking. The reaper you can see under the hunter had run up close enough last turn to get acquainted with a shock stick. I could upload the save file for you if I had any idea how to do that. Can someone explain how?

EDIT: Here's a photo of shockstick boy before getting taken prisoner. The only reason he is turned away like that is his good buddy seb back there shot him in the back. http://i.imgur.com/LZ7vNd9.png

Edited by Irishguy117