Xtended Soldiers Backgrounds

Pinetree

every single build i wait for this thread to update. i LOVE the flavour of checking out my initial guys backgrounds and then trying to squad them up...

'so an Englishman a Frenchman and a German walk into an alien ship and find an alien.

the Frenchman forgot to reload so he runs away.

the Englishman misses with his shotgun

and the German shoots the alien through the Englishman with a G3a3 and it dies.

Englishman survives with a fist-size exit wound in his belly (that doesn't bleed surprisingly)

every single build i wait for this thread to update. i LOVE the flavour of checking out my initial guys backgrounds and then trying to squad them up...

'so an Englishman a Frenchman and a German walk into an alien ship and find an alien.

Englishman survives with a fist-size exit wound in his belly (that doesn't bleed surprisingly)

Glad to see we avoided the cultural stereotypes, or it could have read:

so an Englishman a Frenchman and a German walk into an alien ship and find an alien.

the Frenchman surrenders immediately

the German improves the efficiency of the alien's engine while berating it on the sloppiness of it's experimentation

the Englishman thinks aliens are of a lower class, and saves everyone through a number of mad cap, comedy blunders.

good escape form that sort of thing, that has no place on forums :)

Thanks for your comment :) Flavour is what it's all about. :)

• 2 weeks later...

some facts,

participated in armed conflicts limited contingent troops or military experts USSR

North Korea in June 1950 - July 1953

Laos, 1960-1963, August 1964-November 1968, November 1969-December 1970

Algeria 1962-1964 2.5

Egypt 18 October 1962-1 April 1963, 1 October 1969-16 June 1972, October 5, 1973 - April 1, 1974

Yemen 18 October 1962-1 April 1963

Vietnam 1 July 1965-31 December 1974

Syria, 5-13 June 1967, 6-24 October 1973

Cambodia in April-December 1970

Bangladesh 1972-1973

Angola in November 1975-1979

Mozambique 1967-1969, November 1975-November 1979

Ethiopia 9 December 1977-30 November 1979

You can add it.This Acknowledgment data from the Ministry of Defense of Russia

At this time in the military conflicts were:

USSR Units:

Spetsnaz GRU - Special forces

Group Delfin (Dolphin) - a subversive group swimmer

Group A "Alfa" - Anti-terrorist unit

Group Kaskad (Cascade) - KGB special forces assault group

Group Zenith - KGB special forces assault group

Airborne VDV - Paratroopers

This is not confirmed by the data, but there are rumors ... :) (about Delfin, Kaskad, Zenith)

Edited by Bangelnot

Thanks Bangelnot, I've managed to get a good selection of Soviet units and combat experience but thanks for confirming some of them.

A new version for 16.1 is up, I've changed the way the Vietnamese names are arranged in the xml to reflect their proper usage. It doesn't look any different on screen but the middle names are now attached to the family names( which in vietnamese is actually their first name).

[old link removed]

Edited by Pinetree

Thanks Guys! More praise is always good for the soul and the size of my head! :D

I always found it kind of weird, but personalization like this always made the troops much more likable.

It's funny, In X-Com I nearly always renamed my soldiers because they were just names but in Xenonauts, since they have backgrounds, I don't touch them at all. Which is the main reason I did this mod as I love how the game gives the troops some history and I wanted to give it more variety.

And how to implement random generator of biography? Like as date and palce of birth, and some another information.

Unfortunately, the only biographical details a soldier has is name, age, nationality, regiment, and combat experience. It would be cool to have more but it would be pretty far down the list of programming priorities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, lets have some fun. Post the nation you want in the next version of the mod and whoever gets the first post on page 5 will win. If it appears to you that the winner is not the first post then please be aware that my forum settings may be different to yours so it is solely from my POV.

edit: Oh yeah, the nation has to be one that existed in 1979.

Edited by Pinetree