Xtended Soldiers Backgrounds

Pinetree

Hi, I like that you at least used one spanish speaking country. You could try Adding perhaps Argentina. Here is an example of a "war" they were fighting around the time Xenonauts takes place:

"The Falklands War (Spanish: Guerra de las Malvinas or Guerra del Atlántico Sur), also known as the Falklands Conflict or Falklands Crisis, was a 1982 war between Argentina and the United Kingdom. The conflict resulted from the long-standing dispute over the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, which lie in the South Atlantic, east of Argentina."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War

• 1 month later...

You'll have to update it yourself using regiments.xml and experience.xml which are the slices of strings.xml that the mod updates. Open up the latest version of strings.xml and find the parts of the file that have experience and regiments. Then overwrite those sections with the contents of the two files.

• 2 months later...

*blows dust of the thread* Haven't been in here for a while :D

I've found some time this weekend to update to V20 standards. I've added Nigeria and Kenya and I've also made sure that all names, regiment names, and experiences fit into the new UI. Thothkins will be happy to know that Iceland is still in :)

I've sent Chris a message to see if he wants to directly port it into the game otherwise I'll just release it here. stay tuned. :)

Chris is happy with what they've got so I'm going to release it here soon. I may as well add some more nations so I'll add Austria, Yugoslavia and Switzerland next. I'm thinking I might also add Mexico, Indonesia, Malaysia, and maybe another couple of African nations as well.

I wonder, how do you collect the names for this? I've had a look at the nationality for me, and I see a number of issues there:

- various mistakes in names, some misspelled, some being in an incorrect form (female surnames are irregular enough to be hard for anybody who doesn't speak the language, several of the male surnames listed are not in their nominative form)

- a couple of the names are more or less foreign, some are clearly wrong, some are possible but atypical (e.g. as if a US soldier was named Dubois)

- some of the names are diminutive or very rare/obsolete (e.g. Silvestr is nowadays seen by most people simply as the name of the last day of the year)

- some of the names are duplicated, I assume that's to make them appear more often

You can find a patch adjusting these at http://pastebin.ca/2504389 (I fixed the mistakes, adjusted the duplicates and removed atypical ones /only the ones I find very atypical/).

I suggest to try to use most-used-names sites for this, preferably in the actual language (Google Translate should be your friend there).

Edited by llunak

Thanks a lot for the corrections, they'll be in the next update. :) It's great getting native speakers to check over their own countries as I'm never too sure if I've got it right.

IIRC, as it was over a year ago I did the Czechs, I got the Czech surnames from here: http://tekeli.li/onomastikon/ (which I corrected for gender) wikipedia, and a couple of others. I merged them using a spreadsheet, which is why there are duplicates, but kept them for the reason you surmised. I then used some replacement algorithms in calc to convert the names to female gender so I'm not surprised if there are errors in there. I get most first names from baby name sites.

There a lot of atypical names in there, esp. in the nations with a high chance of being generated, but my feeling is having all common names makes the soldiers seem very generic. This mod is all about flavour. I don't have that many atypical names in the nations which are a low chance.

Edited by Pinetree

IIRC, as it was over a year ago I did the Czechs, I got the Czech surnames from here: http://tekeli.li/onomastikon/ (which I corrected for gender) wikipedia, and a couple of others.

That names site is odd. Some of the names listed there I've never even heard of. I think people would consider those to be actually foreign (some other Slavic country) or historical (which is probably the case, given the site says it's for role-playing). I can't imagine ever meeting or even hearing of somebody with some of the names, the few names that I removed from your list in the patch seem perfectly normal compared to these (and I really did remove only few that seemed too far).

Also, If you want Slovaks in there, feel free to send me a list of names and I'll add them in as another Czechoslovakian nation.:)

Oh, so it's possible to have two nationalities[*] with the same name, so that there's grouping? I had a problem that could be fixed by this already when I was fixing the oficial name list[**], but this wasn't mentioned to me. I'll give it a shot somewhen.

[*] I guess that should be technically called citizenship (Czechoslovakia), nationality being actually either Czech or Slovak.

[**] If I just fix your list, will that also make it in the oficial game?

Edited by llunak

Oh, so it's possible to have two nationalities[*] with the same name, so that there's grouping?

Yes, I've used it in the mod to differentiate between english Canadians and french Canadians,english South Africans and Afrikaners, Russians and Ukranians, and the three main Swiss ethnic groupings.

[**] If I just fix your list, will that also make it in the oficial game?

possibly, but you could also let him know as well. He's very receptive when it comes to errors.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to get the Gurkha represented?

Those fearless warriors deserve have a soldier or two defending earth an alien invasion!

Perhaps as a new Asian nation "British Allies", together with some Indian representatives?

I did some research:

2nd King Edward VII's Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles)

- Malayan Emergency

6th Queen Elizabeth's Own Gurkha Rifles

- Malayan Emergency

- Suez