Love for touchscreen only users.... add a few buttons!!

just bought the game, quite happy i did.

But playing from a windows 8 tablet and i dont have a keyboard. any chance the developpers could think of adding a few buttons to make the game fully playable?

IE options button in geoscape that acts like esc.

pause button during arial battles, and option \ system button in the ground engagement.

shouldnt be too difficult?

cheers!!

just bought the game, quite happy i did.

But playing from a windows 8 tablet and i dont have a keyboard. any chance the developpers could think of adding a few buttons to make the game fully playable?

IE options button in geoscape that acts like esc.

pause button during arial battles, and option \ system button in the ground engagement.

shouldnt be too difficult?

cheers!!

I'm truly blown away someone would try to place a game like this from a tablet.

But more to the point "shouldn't be too difficult" is entirely wrong. I am not saying this in a derogatory way but you obviously don't know what goes into design/modelling/drawing/implementing/bugtesting. It's a long process, and this game is for "PC" not tablet.

I mean, if you can make it work more power to you but as far as I know the game was never intended to be played the way you're trying to...

But more to the point "shouldn't be too difficult" is entirely wrong.

nope. drawing and adding two buttons with already implemented handler methods (we can already pause the the by pressing spacebar and handler ) is at most two hours of work. more work will be needed if we would want to realise possibility of enabling -disabling this controls (because user with keyboard dont need them)

but overall it will fix almost nothing. because game controls is implemented with mouse user in mind.

i wouldn't want to watch as someone fiought aerial battle on touch screen (really small buttons on evade\forcage)

Step 1: Don't use a Windows 8 Tablet

Step 2: Use a real computer

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

:P

In all seriousness, it seems like a lot of effort to please what is honestly a very small group of players. It's much better and cheaper to straight up get a keyboard.

youre all just jealous because i can play xenonauts on the bus, in bed, on the couch, outside, wherever!. best thing in the world!

seriously, xenonauts runs fine on my dell tablet, the only thing i cant do is quit the game (no escape, systems option button) and pause and unpause in the air battles, which i avoid by autobattle.

mouse isnt the issue at all, works great with touchscreen.

flame away if you wish!

The Surface comes with a click in keyboard for $100 extra. I would never have considered buying it without one. It turns it into a little laptop essentially.

usb and bluetooth keyboards just take away from the portability factor.

seriously though, there are buttons for every other function, why not a system menu in geoscape and ground battles, and a pause button in the air battles... theres tons of room in the ui layout.

usb and bluetooth keyboards just take away from the portability factor.

seriously though, there are buttons for every other function, why not a system menu in geoscape and ground battles, and a pause button in the air battles... theres tons of room in the ui layout.

Has been answered.

I'm truly blown away someone would try to place a game like this from a tablet.

But more to the point "shouldn't be too difficult" is entirely wrong. I am not saying this in a derogatory way but you obviously don't know what goes into design/modelling/drawing/implementing/bugtesting. It's a long process, and this game is for "PC" not tablet.

I mean, if you can make it work more power to you but as far as I know the game was never intended to be played the way you're trying to...

Edited by Vagabond

Has been answered.

hmm... windows tables (PCs!) are actually quite powerful now, im not talking an ipad or android tablet. i can easily run half life 2 on mine, civ5 or whatever game that isnt too too intensive.

sorry to differ, but tablet pcs kinda are the future, old desktop towers will go the way of the rotary phone.

like my answer?

probably not, sorry to differ with you.

as far as difficulty, theres a help '?' button which could be switched to a system menu. theres a button for everything else, if the game was meant to be keyboard centric, why have a geoscape, base, solder, reasearch button at all, might as well force ppl to use the keyboard shortcuts....?

The game wasn't really designed for tablets (Xenonauts is older than the iPad, after all) so I'm afraid it doesn't support them particularly well and it's too late in development to change all that. Sorry.

... adding two buttons?

really?

im not talking porting the game to ios or anything...

I've got to say I also noticed the lack of a button to access game menu without using the keyboard, it's slightly inconvenient even on a laptop as the opportunity to work your way around the game using just one hand is quite... handy. It's not a major worry though and I doubt it will happen anyway.

Sandyxxx, I'm referring to Chris' comment about supporting tablets, not deides request for two buttons.

I was left with the impression adding those two buttons would also be some major work though, or that's not the case?

Actually it's three buttons, GC also needs a clickable way to access game menu.

If it's only AC pausing and GC esc menu-ing, I think you could mod that in yourself. However, it'd still be a bad idea to play on a tablet, and if they started supporting tablets, people would hold them accountable for it.

You're better off modding it in yourself.

it's 2 hours of work. at best.

draw button sprites, and call same handlers, that called by pressing spacebar\esc.

id have no idea how to program buttons, but i'd promise to name a xenonaut after anyone who would oblige!

i dont get the resistance to tablets from players here honestly, im running a pc that runs windows 8.1 that happens to have a touchscreen and no keyboard. Is this so revolutionary? I think people immediately think Ipad when they say tablet.

anyhoo, all the game needs is two buttons to make it touch friendly. theres buttons for everything else so why not those?

• 3 weeks later...
anyhoo, all the game needs is two buttons to make it touch friendly. theres buttons for everything else so why not those?

How do you right-click e.g. to increase accuracy, and how do you enter names for saved games? I don't think the game would be well playable without these.

Well, you don't need to type in names as long as you're playing on ironman, so it's fine. As for the buttons, yeah, did anybody mod it in yet? Or is there a manual about getting buttons in? I tend to play games on surface myself, and the need to get keyboard to press some button pisses me off sometimes. I managed to play dominions using stylus, tho.